gearoid

Buying a new electric... HELP!!!

Hi everyone,

I've been tipping away nicely with my acoustic guitar for over a year now and can play most chords which involve three fingers(except barres!!):mad:

I now want to buy a good electric that is easy to play andof known quality. Would you all agree on a Fender Standard Stratocaster or even the cheaper Squire Stratocaster? Or maybe an Epiphone SG? I'm actually quite ignorant on the subject.:helpsmili

Any help would be really appreciated. Cheers. :D

Gearoid, Ireland.;)

I'd suggest you steer away from a tremelo bridge system for your first electric. There's a level of attention to these that you probably don't need to be concerned about at this point in your matriculation. What kind of music do you want to play?

Check out the squire51s. They have been posted about before here. At 120 bucks or so they are the bargoon of the year. Have yet to hear a bad review of them. Very versitile, lots of tone. Their quality is far higher than the other squires.

I bought a Squire 51 (the 2 color starburst) yesterday and love it. I think Ultimate is refering to the issues with regular tremelos in that you have to worry about Inntonation and Action issues. The inntonation on mine was off a little on the low E string, but nothing I couldnt fix following some easy tips I found on the web.

This is my first electric. Its got a really forgiving and fast fret board. I love the look of this guitar and for $150 how could I go wrong. Plus I did TONS of shopping and reading reviews. Other than one bad inntonation issue I didnt read anything below a 9 out of 10 rating. I can tell you after playing mine last night, the 9's are justified.

If you need help with adjusting inntonation or action, there are tons of references. Just dont either start screwing with it without reading, or making huge adjustments without retuning the open string.

Thanks for the help folks. I have yet to see a Squire 51 in Ireland to be honest. Would you approve of buying a guitar via the internet?

I'm watching a Fender Stratocaster (not Squier!) on ebay at the moment, which is why I asked about it.

And for Ultimate GB, I am hoping to play some indie style rock and roll. I like to write some lyrics now and again and hope to form a band one day.

If you're into Alternative Rock at all, I highly suggest you listen to Bloc Party. They're the best thing I've heard since the strokes... and maybe even better!

I have bought most of my guitars on the net with good results. You need to know what your doing to shop ebay well. If you think you can trust people not to bid on your strat, post a link here to it and we will take a look.

well, the good news about Indie Rock is that ANY electric guitar will do.;) Some styles lend themselves better to single coils and other style humbuckers, but you can find a good mix of both in Indie Rock. In fact, if I'm guessing right, the Squire model they're mentioning above has a hard tail bridge and a humbucker in the bridge position and a single coil in the neck position.

If you get this Strat you're bidding on I'd set up the trem so it would effectively be 'blocked' by screwing in the spring rentention clip a good ways so it would take a very firm movement on the bar to make the bridge move. Then I'd remove the bar.

I'll have a link to the guitar here in a moment.

I'd reaaly appreciate it if you could take a look.

Here's the guitar I'm watching at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7379386391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I also spotted the same guitar on this site. It's slightly more epensive but is still much cheaper than Irish shops if the ebay bid fails:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster--Electric-Guitar--Left-Handed--i1029647.music

What do you think?

Ah. Didn't know you were a lefty. The good news is second hand lefties are usualy cheaper because there is a much smaller market for them. The bad news is there are far fewer guitars to chose from.

So would you go for that fender?

I can't find a squier 51 for a lefty. Or have you any good sites for buying guitars?

Here's the guitar I'm watching at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7379386391&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I also spotted the same guitar on this site. It's slightly more epensive but is still much cheaper than Irish shops if the ebay bid fails:

http://www.interstatemusic.com/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster--Electric-Guitar--Left-Handed--i1029647.music

What do you think?

The first one looks like your best bet. The seller has a good track record and has been in business for 2 or 3 years. Add 50 bucks U.S. for shipping and it is still a good buy. Not great,but good. I would go for it if I wanted a lefty. If that second one is in the states then the free shipping will only apply within the states. Big companies often use UPS which will kill a good deal with brokerage fees so that one should be aproached with caution. Good Luck.BTW I don't think the squire51s come lefty.

Cheers.

It's more the guitar quality I need the info on. I'm pretty competent with the ebay set-up.

If I invest, I'll let you know how I get on and maybe show you all some of my work.

Keep up the great work!!

Cheers.

It's more the guitar quality I need the info on. I'm pretty competent with the ebay set-up.

If I invest, I'll let you know how I get on and maybe show you all some of my work.

Keep up the great work!!

MIM strats are well thought of. They don't have the same build quality as an MIA strat,but then they don't have the higher price either. There are lots of folks out there who are happy with their made in Mexico strats. The neat thing about them is they are a great platform to upgrade from. Better pups (pickups) tuners, bridge. The possibilities are endless.

Cheers for the help guys. I bought it after all.

Anybody know the best website for good cheap guitars.

A mate of mine is seeking an Epiphone Les Paul.

It's well over $500 over here in shops.

Cheers for the help guys. I bought it after all.

Anybody know the best website for good cheap guitars.

A mate of mine is seeking an Epiphone Les Paul.

It's well over $500 over here in shops.

The problem is shipping. Most of the big stores like Musicians Friends and others have blowout sales where you can get great deals on an axe. The downside is that they don't ship outside the U.S. I can't even buy from them in Canada with some exceptions. I luckily have friends in the states so I have them take delivery and then mail the guitar to me. A lot of them use UPS to ship with. The brokerage fees can add 70 t0 a 120 bucks U,S. to your costs killing the bargain. Your best bet is ebay. Check to make sure you can ship other than UPS or Fedex. The USPS is a lot slower,but a lot cheaper,usually around 40 to 55 bucks. Good luck.

Come again? I'm not sure I understand.

Again, I emphasise this is my first electric guitar and I really am as raw as a bag of onions on the subject!!

Is this something I can do myself?

Come again? I'm not sure I understand.

Again, I emphasise this is my first electric guitar and I really am as raw as a bag of onions on the subject!!

Is this something I can do myself?

The trem arm just unscrews. I rarely use mine. I just angle it towards the heel of the guitar a bit and it doesn't get in my way.

I find taht using the tremelo can screw with your tunning, especially if you dont have a floyd rose system... That Is why i dont use it. Maybe I should get some excersises that would get me to use it... It can make you sound great if used moderately and when it is called for...

Gearoid,

You may want to email them about that guitar and inquire about shipping & insurance. Overseas stuff has a tendancy to jump up in costs once it gets past a few pounds.

I don't know how much the same guitar would cost you over there, but it would be safer to check it out first. Also, what is the current exchange rate for dollors v.s. pounds? That could bump up the price. Hopefully, it all stays lower than you getting one locally. Good Luck!

Cheers Andrew.

I had all that checked out. The same guitar would be at least EUR€600 over here.

I won the auction and the overall payment worked out at EUR€352.

Now we play the waiting game!!