Hiram

Nut Width

I,m currently taking a guitar class and I have an old Yamaha FG330 I,m struggling along on. The nut width is 1 5/8 and is really maddening as I have stubby fingertips ( I have calloses) and just not enough room.

I,m looking for a 2 to 300.00 dollar acoustic with an oval or D shaped neck in a 1 7/8 or 2" nut width. I know I won't be getting a quality guitar for this money and it will be laminate but i really don't think it's a good idea to plunk down a lot of money for a guitar, with the little knowledge of guitars I have at this time. Anyone have suggestions on a brand or model with these nut widths, thanks

Check out the Seagull S-6, you should be able to find a used one for $300 or a little less. It is very good quality for the money. And it has a solid top, cedar or spruce. You can probably get new one without a case for $300.

I checked out their website and the specs. and it does have a 1.8 nut, I did a search for dealers and lo and behold found two dealers within ten miles of me. I appreciate your help guy and take care.

Two dealers within ten miles, no such luck here. When I bought mine, they had one place in the whole state of Florida. You should have a nice selection to pick from. Good luck.

I checked the phone book and one music shop went out of business but I'll be checking out the other next week.

I have three or four dealers within 10-20 miles of me but none have S6 or S6+, I guess it's due to their popularity. I might go check out a used M6 at a shop this weekend, is this model similiar enough to get an idea of the tone and characteristics of an S6+.

I hate to order one on the net without actually having looked and listened to one.

After fooling around with the used Seagull I sat down and ordered a S6+ Spruce on the internet got it in 3 days. I love the sound and it's light as a feather compared to my old Yamaha, but the big bonus is the wide nut for my stubby little fingers, I loved that part right away.

It did have some issues, the EAD strings when strummed hard at almost any fret made a low vibrating sound on the saddle, checked the strings using the capo and 14th fret and they were in tolerance. The strings that it came with were Godin's, talk about rough, they had my fingers chewed up in 3 days.

So, I put some Martin acoustics 10-47's on it (remember us beginners are still developing callouses) it brightened up just a tad but I'm happy with them. Strange thing, the vibrating at the saddle went away. I plan on replacing the Tusq one with a bone. The saddle has sharp edges where the strings pass over it and I read on another site that this might cause the vibration and a possible solution to this is to smooth the rough edges a little (would appreciate input if possible) with realllllly fine sandpaper.

Any way I'm plumb tickled with it, thanks for the help and I'll pay it forward if I get the chance.