Hi everyone I'm Karen and I've been wanting to learn the guitar forever I am now 49 and if I don't start now I will be devastated. I have plenty of people laugh and say I'm to old but here goes, I will be needing as much help and advice as you can give me thank you for letting me join your comunity x

Karen,

Don't let people get to you. You're never too old to start playing the guitar. We're her to help.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Welcome, Karen.

What kind of music would you like to learn to play?

welcome to the forum.

Hi Karen.  Why, you're just a kid!  Remember that Harlan Sanders was running a service station that sold food to hungry travelers when he was 40.  When he was 62, he began franchising his business, which became a multimillion dollar business, Kentucky Fried Chicken.  He continued to be a spokesman and a traveling ambassador for the company well into his later years. He died at 90.  So who says you can't succeed later in  life?

I'm pretty well self-taught at guitar.  Oh, I had piano lessons as a kid, but when I bought my first guitar from a friend for $10, I was hooked.  This was before tablature became common.  I would by songbooks and single song sheets that had guitar charts on them.  I just put my fingers where the dots were, learning after a while that an "X" meant a muted string and an "o" over the nut image meant open, I began to sing along to my favorite songs.  After a while, I'd buy records and try to play along with them, lifting and dropping the tone arm on specific passages until I could noodle them out.

I put away the guitar for a number of years, and when I pulled it out again, the world had changed.  Now, there is software, online videos, and just about anybody who wants to publish a lesson, a book or a song, can do so from the comfort of their living room.  I frequently tell friends that if I'd been playing when the Internet was born, I'd be a #$%^@ guitar god right now!

The fact is, I'm back where I started:  I'm playing the guitar in the quiet comfort of my own home, pulling out songbooks, finding chords (I've never learned tab) and songs, and playing for my own pleasure.  Some day, I may join the worship band at church (I've been invited), but for now, I'm learning and playing for me.  Only me.  And I'm a senior citizen!