El Salto

Mastering the 12 String Acoustic

Been learning and progressing on the usual 6 string acoustic and electric guitars

Recently got a 12 string acoustic and although I can play it, even allowing for covering two strings with my fingers,

It just seems a bit different, a bit more difficult to master

I can`t seem to decide whether the frets are a miniscule distance further apart, or its a slightly wider neck,

Is it common for guitarists to find the 12 string a more problematic instrument to master ?

El Salto,

I didn't find a 12-string difficult to play. Although, I already knew how to play before purchasing it. My 12-string does have a wider neck so I can see where it would take getting used to when first playing one. The more you play it your fingers will adjust.

Have fun with it.

Mike

Physics.  More strings means more force is required.  Close spacing between the pairs requires a bit more finger placement accuracy.  Wide fingerboard to help accommodate the extra strings can be problematic, depending on how long your fingers are, or a great benefit if you have fat fingers.

Here's my cover of a David Bromberg 12 string tune.

http://www.rockerbob.com/mp3/I_Like_to_Sleep_Late.mp3

Depends on the guitar you're playing IMO.  Once upon a time, about a decade ago, I thought I'd buy a 12 string.  Then I remembered all the time I spent tuning an old 12 string back in the '60's.  That was before digital clip on tuners so I thought I'd be OK.  

I headed out to a few shops to audition 12 strings and found an awful lot of them are miserable to play if you're not just strumming chords.  Since I play finger style, I asked a few people who suggested I buy, at minimum, a $1300 Taylor if I wanted to finger pick a 12 string.  

I didn't have $1300 to put in a guitar I wouldn't play that much and by then I'd figured out there's really only six songs that actually sound better on a 12 string and I only played three of those songs and I barely remembered them anyways - can't even tell you what they are off the top of my head right now - and I probably didn't need a 12 string after all.  

If you're just a strumming type player, you'll get accustomed to most any guitar if you work hard and long enough.  If you finger pick, you'll need to find those three songs and really work on them.  

How's your hand doing, Salto?  

Thanks for the replies dudes

Jan, my hand is ok, seems to have settled down to a permanently sore thumb

Its bearable though, and I just keep playing regardless

I`m very much a strummer re playing the 12 string, even on the standard 6 string my finger picking is limited

Its an Ibanez guitar but can`t remember what model, would probably be around the £200 mark so not expensive

Sounds great though, and as always, sounds better when someone else plays it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rockerbob said:

Physics.  More strings means more force is required.  Close spacing between the pairs requires a bit more finger placement accuracy.  Wide fingerboard to help accommodate the extra strings can be problematic, depending on how long your fingers are, or a great benefit if you have fat fingers.

Here's my cover of a David Bromberg 12 string tune.

http://www.rockerbob.com/mp3/I_Like_to_Sleep_Late.mp3

Very nice Bob

32 minutes ago, El Salto said:

Thanks for the replies dudes

Jan, my hand is ok, seems to have settled down to a permanently sore thumb

Its bearable though, and I just keep playing regardless

I`m very much a strummer re playing the 12 string, even on the standard 6 string my finger picking is limited

Its an Ibanez guitar but can`t remember what model, would probably be around the £200 mark so not expensive

Sounds great though, and as always, sounds better when someone else plays it

I never knew you could get an Ibanez cheap. That's wonderful ! Re: your hands. I swear by this as a cure all: ultrasound. No shots, no cutting, 5 minutes and you're outta there.

5 hours ago, El Salto said:

Very nice Bob

Rocketman: Listened to you cover David Bromberg tonight. That's the second song I listened to you play and sing. You sound beautiful. Like you said, your hands remember. Well, so does your soul. You can still sing beautifully. I would think you would feel it in your chest. And or head. Don't be discouraged-keep doing it so you can keep doing it. You're wonderful now. Your good. No worries. I can't even imagine playing a 12 string.

Yes the 12 string has a wider neck and takes some getting used to. Nylon string classical has the same feel.

On 3/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, Taka said:

Yes the 12 string has a wider neck and takes some getting used to. Nylon string classical has the same feel.

Not always the case.  The first guitar I bought brand new in 1971 was a German Framus 12-string.  It has (yes, I still have it) a 1.75" nut, which is a mere 1/16" wider than my Taylor six-string.  It also has an ebony fingerboard and a zero fret.  There were times I would remove the extra six strings and just play it as a regular six-string.

2018-03-18%2020.10.10-L.jpg