texred

Guitar Maintenance for Beginners

My guitars have been in the desert for a year now, and they need a bath badly. Gibson says don't let any oil get on the strings, but others have said clean them up as well. Which is ok? And the frets are poking out painfully on the strat.

Thank you, JanVigne (how do you pronounce your name?) !!

That was extremely helpful. Most folks have forgotten that water actually cleans things and grab the nearest chemical !! It's terrible. Why is lemon oil better than mineral oil? All I have right now is mineral oil, but haven't put it on yet. I forgot the term for the frets doing this?? I thought it was pretty funny, but not the situation. I live in serious BFE; the grocery store and guitar shop {AMAZING they have one}-everything, is 35 miles away. 70 mile roundtrip for groceries, hardware, ANYTHING. I only went there once, with my Squier, told em strings and setup, and they charged me $10. Now, how much does ten bucks buy you ?!? So now I'm suspicious of them and want to start doing my own work. All I've done is change one string that broke due to my wonderful newbie tuning. And I played with the bridge on the squier. Why can't I take the sandpaper to the frets? Glad I have that thing now. I can practice everything on it (squier). It is actually couch decoration at the moment. Have wall hangers coming. I practice/play/learn on my Epi LP Special I P-90s (TV yellow), which I love, and it will soon be NGD !! A friend is selling me his Tribal Red Agile AL-2000, which I am SO excited about. He said it was the end of the last run of the AL-2000s, so it's already super special to me and I haven't even touched it.

So, these 2 I don't want to fup. I have the basic tools, but I need a radius gauge and what else? Also some advice on truss rod adjustment. I'm still training my ears and of course, everything else, so, truthfully, I don't know about tone.

thx

Oh, I can do that. Speak Spanish, and a year of Latin, so I can handle any Latin based language. I like to play russian and try to write with no vowels !! Who needs vowels? I have a shorthand that no one in their right mind could figure out, from so much schooling. There's no way you can write normally as fast as a professor speaks. I didn't know Italian had less letters. Cool. I was born in CT and spent a lot of time around Italian people. Oh dear-excuse me-Italian Americans. God I hate that s*t.  Whoever started this pc crap should be shot. In the gut. When it completely takes over I shall be a Cherokee Russo Texan American. Or I could just change my name to Off Topic.

Thank you for the links. Figures I bought food grade mineral oil for my chopping boards coz they all crack in half after a year max. Not Mom's.

Should I buy a set of radius gauges? With my lemon oil?

thx

I just don't trust the $10 shop anymore. AND they said they give the guitars to some other guy (probably The Dude on the Couch) for stringing. WTF???

I'll try them again. Don't exactly have a choice.

thx agn

Gak. Gak, gak. Gak.    You speak Martian?

Back again. Haven't done anything to guitars yet, but I called to ask you if I can put your advice in the new thread "Older Beginners". I feel like I've taken over and I don't like it, but I'm full of ideas and I think I have a bad case of PP: Practice Procrastination (copyright). I read all your advice over again just now. I have this food grade mineral oil + vitamin E. Nowhere does it say anything else, but that probably doesn't mean anything. So, everybody yelling "lemon oil", I'm thinking I can make my own with essential oils, then I read up a little on the acidity that you don't want. So, I picked an intelligent victim and said "Just show me a picture of what you use". Old English lemon oil. Got 4 pints of it (wood floors). Is that the stuff you recommend?

So finally, I hope I have a successful thread in Older Beginners, since only one or two (not here) have been too successful. There seems to be a lot of older beginners here. Like I said, Off Topic. Me. I have learned, anyway. Forgot that's what PMs are for. So I wanted to check with you before I said something stupid. Can you put just your posts in the thread for me?  Also, I realized after creating this one, there is already a permanent one on the forum that I just duplicated. Research, research, research. If you put your advice in, use a different title than I did here. And then I'll get 6string to kill this one. Please keep the links to fret sprouts and tuners, or I'll put them in there while you're doing other stuff. Already have 2-3 advisors, and will have at least 2 more, if you're interested. Just keep an eye on it and jump in when need be. Thanks, Tania

50 minutes ago, JanVigne said:

I wouldn't use the mineral oil since the vitamin E will go rancid.  The Old English is fine since you should only use the oil about once a year.  I'd look at the warnings on line for Old English and wear nitrile gloves when you apply it.  

Give me a link where you want me to post.

And, you want me to start a new thread?  Or, just add to an existing one?      

Crap. A whole paragraph gone. The wifi guy was here. we're in the big time now. Fiber optic. Thread is called Older Beginners. Be nice is you put some of your VIP advice there (it's under chit/chat), and answered future questions. I just put it there today. And definitely, put your opinions of the vids up. Thanks. Whenever goathead shows his face, he's gonna kill this thread coz I told him too. Love that guy. Thank you for everything !!

I wouldn't use oil on any my guitars as for the Fender , carefully file the fret ends off with a mill file.