Over40

Over 40 & Just Started Playing the Guitar! Will I Ever Get Good?

On 2/18/2018 at 7:24 PM, El Salto said:

Perspective

If you start playing guitar at 10 years old and practice regularly, take lessons etc, by the time you`re 30 you should be shit hot

If like me, you start at 53, take lessons and practice regularly it would, using the logic above, take till I was 73 to be on the shit hot scale

I just enjoy being able to play at a competent intermediate learner level, at the same level as my peers in our Jam Band

Time isn`t on my side to be a virtuoso, that's just the way it is

Someone will come on to tell me I`m talking shit, I know B)

Welcome to the only forum that's not like that. :lol:

On 2/18/2018 at 6:27 PM, mset3 said:

Over 49,

You're never too old to start playing the guitar.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Some people online are bad enough, but I actually had an acquaintance tell me f2f that it was a little late to be starting. I don't even remember who it was, nor do I care.

Shoot, 40. I just copied your thread. Well, maybe not. I seem to have a habit of jumping in without looking around. Older Beginners is a little different, I guess. I'm going back to messin with pictures. I deserve it. I fixed the leak under the kitchen sink for the 3rd time, and now the washing machine just broke. Somethin else but I forgot. Probably on porpoise.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:59 AM, Over40 said:

Hello everyone! I am a 47 year old female who just took up the guitar a few months ago and what a slow, self fulfilling journey it has been so far!

What are your thoughts? Can I be any good eventually, starting at such an old age?

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 6:59 AM, Over40 said:

Hello everyone! I am a 47 year old female who just took up the guitar a few months ago and what a slow, self fulfilling journey it has been so far!

What are your thoughts? Can I be any good eventually, starting at such an old age?

I once had a lady student who began with me when she was in her mid 40's.

I remember that student so well in that she was told by many other teachers that she would never avail to much. I must admit, this was very, very disheartening.

I assured her that with determination and effort on her part she could become a very proficient guitarist - as she had the love of the instrument and its music to do so.

Years later, she did indeed become an accomplished guitarist.

So, hang in there.