Over40

Over 40 & Just Started Playing the Guitar! Will I Ever Get Good?

Hello everyone! I am a 47 year old female who just took up the guitar a few months ago and what a slow, self fulfilling journey it has been so far!

What are your thoughts? Can I be any good eventually, starting at such an old age?

• Haha 1

In a short while, if you stick with it, you will start to play well enough to make yourself happy.  A short while is 6-12 months.

You might progress faster or slower, but if you are persistent you will learn.

This is very important

Make sure the guitar has the lowest action possible without an over amount of buzzing.  Get a professional to do this for you.  Bad action on cheap guitars is a large part of why people give up.  I've been learning to play for over 50 years and I can't play a guitar with significantly high action.  The nut slots are often too high.  That makes playing on the first few frets hard.

This has been a public service announcement

Stick with it.  Ask questions.  The only stupid questions are the questions not asked.  

Take a look at Kirk's guitar lessons.  He has posted a lot of free lessons, but he does charge for lessons that are more diverse and complex.

• Like 2

Thanks Rocker Bob! Especially the tip in regards to the "action" ! I  remember trying to learn the guitar at 30 and gave up because of this reason! Oh and perhaps a lack of patience and dedication! lol 

Hi over 40,

Boy, that's way young to me now !! I'm 56 and just starting, so look, you got a leg up !! Since I got my fist guitar a year ago, I first had (just me) to learn all the parts and what they were for. Then theory, which I have had enough of for the moment. It's hands on time. I'm a single homeowner, and the pipes busted and froze, right after that the kitchen flooded, it's not painted yet, the dishwasher's broken. . . you know-my point being life gets in the way, and it's hard to prioritize guitar. Oh, and don't let me forget the paperwork. I swear and swear "I WILL practice today", then something else blows up! These aren't excuses, just real life. I

I have been told the same thing-probably a year. If you practice six hours a day !! I need a better amp. What do you play?

• Like 1

RockerBob,

Tried clicking all over your post ! How do I reply to you, after Over 40 has? It's like the switch is gone, or something!

I thank you too about the action. I didn't know that, and I would not kept it as low as it goes. A normal setup, yet I would have had them higher, so I could to Guthrie Govan's cool-o trick. He said whey he's playing and feels like played slide, he doesn't wanna "mess with all that crap" so he sticks a credit card up against the nut, and that raised the action high enough for him to play slide. Nice trick if you can get it !! Probably 2 cards for me, or I could operate on the strat.

• Like 1

Hi Texred! Thank you for your response! Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your home. No wonder you don't have time to practice guitar!  You are right, life gets in the way but I think if we find something we're really passionate about we will make time.

I am playing an older Walden electric acoustic which is a much better guitar to learn on than what I tried to learn on before! The action is really nice on her and I put some lighter strings on so my fingers wouldn't hurt so much!  I am trying to mute the top e string with my thumb, so that while plugged in it doesnt rattle and sound horrible! Such a different sound plugged in, you can hear every imperfection! lol

What are you rockin out on Texred?

1 hour ago, texred said:

RockerBob,

Tried clicking all over your post ! How do I reply to you, after Over 40 has? It's like the switch is gone, or something!

I thank you too about the action. I didn't know that, and I would not kept it as low as it goes. A normal setup, yet I would have had them higher, so I could to Guthrie Govan's cool-o trick. He said whey he's playing and feels like played slide, he doesn't wanna "mess with all that crap" so he sticks a credit card up against the nut, and that raised the action high enough for him to play slide. Nice trick if you can get it !! Probably 2 cards for me, or I could operate on the strat.

Use the "Quote" button to reply.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Over40 said:

Hi Texred! Thank you for your response! Sorry to hear about your bad luck with your home. No wonder you don't have time to practice guitar!  You are right, life gets in the way but I think if we find something we're really passionate about we will make time.

I am playing an older Walden electric acoustic which is a much better guitar to learn on than what I tried to learn on before! The action is really nice on her and I put some lighter strings on so my fingers wouldn't hurt so much!  I am trying to mute the top e string with my thumb, so that while plugged in it doesnt rattle and sound horrible! Such a different sound plugged in, you can hear every imperfection! lol

Well, I definintely need lighter strings, to bend easier. First guitar Fender Squier Strat Special I, TV yellow; Second one, Epi Les Paul Special I P-90s. AAAANNNNDDDDDDDD, it will soon be NGD-An Agile AL2000 Tribal Cherry I gave to myself for my birthday. Months away but who cares, right ?!? Not the dog. She, Belle, likes sitting on my lap watching Pink Floyd on computer.

I practice on the LP. The Fender has turned into couch decoration. She only weighs 4-5 lbs, I forget. All I know is that Tribal Agile weighs 10 pounds and I have no idea what I'm gonna do with THAT. On disability coz of my back, so I practice (I can't say play, coz I can't) sitting down. I've never played an acoustic. I know it's a different animal, but I LOVE Spanish guitar, don't you?

6 hours ago, Rockerbob said:

In a short while, if you stick with it, you will start to play well enough to make yourself happy.  A short while is 6-12 months.

You might progress faster or slower, but if you are persistent you will learn.

This is very important

Make sure the guitar has the lowest action possible without an over amount of buzzing.  Get a professional to do this for you.  Bad action on cheap guitars is a large part of why people give up.  I've been learning to play for over 50 years and I can't play a guitar with significantly high action.  The nut slots are often too high.  That makes playing on the first few frets hard.

This has been a public service announcement

Stick with it.  Ask questions.  The only stupid questions are the questions not asked.  

Take a look at Kirk's guitar lessons.  He has posted a lot of free lessons, but he does charge for lessons that are more diverse and complex.

Just now, texred said:

I love PSAs.

Thought I was the only one who did that

Bob must be old, too

Perhaps we need an "Over 50 Forum". Except for Over 40. She can come, too.

19 minutes ago, Over40 said:

Thank you !

What kind of music do you like? I like everything, almost. Aiming for the blues, now.

Over 49,

You're never too old to start playing the guitar.

Welcome to the forum!

Mike

Perspective

If you start playing guitar at 10 years old and practice regularly, take lessons etc, by the time you`re 30 you should be shit hot

If like me, you start at 53, take lessons and practice regularly it would, using the logic above, take till I was 73 to be on the shit hot scale

I just enjoy being able to play at a competent intermediate learner level, at the same level as my peers in our Jam Band

Time isn`t on my side to be a virtuoso, that's just the way it is

Someone will come on to tell me I`m talking shit, I know B)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.  It might be hard to do at first, but having a daily plan and writing it down is very useful.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:58 PM, Rockerbob said:

I'm 21, with 40 years experience.

How's that done? Do you walk backwards? Play upside down? Take lessons from  your kid? I have many more suggestions. Always. Probably how Hemingway kept everybody buying his drinks.

22 hours ago, windsong said:

Welcome to the forum.  It might be hard to do at first, but having a daily plan and writing it down is very useful.

Thank you !! I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now. This is kind of a warm and fuzzy place, no?

22 hours ago, windsong said:

Ha !! That was probably for Over 40, wasn't it?? I feel like Clancy's "horse".

6 hours ago, texred said:

How's that done? Do you walk backwards? Play upside down? Take lessons from  your kid? I have many more suggestions. Always. Probably how Hemingway kept everybody buying his drinks.

Its done by being 21 for 40 years.  Also, I had a bizarre cooking experience with an unexpected reaction between a microwave oven and non-dairy creamer.  I think it caused a temporal displacement.

• Like 1

Over40, it's been said that anyone can be an expert.  All it takes is about 10,000 hours. Don't let that discourage you.  Ten thousand hours is about five years (based on a 40-hour week, of course).  So, that means if you worked at it for eight hours a day, you'd be an expert in about five years.

Okay, so most of us don't have the luxury of practicing guitar 40 hours per week.  But even if you practice one hour a day, every day, for a year, you have 365 hours of development, improvement, and enlightenment.  Constant practice isn't linear, either: your fingers get stronger, your instinctive knowledge of forms, shapes and chords improves, your ear for tones and notes gets better, and all work to create building blocks on which the next layer is formed.

What are your goals?  Do you want to play live in concert?  Be a recording artist?  Be the star or part of a band?  Do you want to sing along, or have the guitar be your "voice?" Your goals will also help shape the hours you put in on the instrument.

On 2/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, windsong said:

That's true Windsong.  It's easy for the day to pass while you're busy with other things & then it's time for bed. 

Another tip is to have your guitar on your lap as you watch TV, and practice whatever you are working on during the ads. 

The biggest motivator for beginners is to pay a teacher every week for a lesson: it definitely focuses the mind :)

Welcome to the forum Over40

On 2/18/2018 at 4:28 PM, Over40 said:

Did I not answer you?!? How friggin rude. I didn't mean to post in your profile a minute ago. I guess erase it. We had a new thread in the Chit/Chat section: Older Beginners. You and I MIGHT be close to the same place-let's see !! I found a great video you might like-it is the Marty Schwartz one on that thread. A year ago, I got my first. One of those $99 Squier Strats (2006) Cherry Burst. Not too too long after that I got an Epi Les Paul P90s TV yellow. That's the one I like. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures in here-on posts and replies. I say I am making a $99 guitar collection. But I just blew it. Not too bad. A  friend sold me his 2014 Tribal Red Agile AL-2000 (humbuckers !!) It was the end of the last run of the 2000s.Can'twait to see the S/N.The only thing he did was change the ceramic ones out for Alnico Vs. Yay, I say !  It got on the big brown truck TODAY !!! And with the original HSC. Good friend. And it only has to cross Texas. Yipeee !! No, I'm not excited. He puts 12s on all his guitars, but I can't decide between 10s or 11s. What do you think? I'm dying to go shopping and the time is now. Ooops. You're not the one to ask, since we have different animals. On your acoustic, would you say you had light strings or medium?