MikkoKarhula

Advice for mind control in recording situations needed.

Hi guys!

I would need some advices for recording situation. Actually, how to control thoughts.
Quite often when I play some songs that can be relatively difficult I can manage them enough but when I'm recording sometimes mind flies too much and it becomes disturbing. I might start to think "ok, next there will come the difficult part and I might mess it up". Then I usually mess that part. But when I'm not recording it usually goes with natural flow quite ok.

In this time too. I couldn't get the composition played well enough so I gave up and made completely different piece by improvisation

Kindest, Mikko

This is not unique.  I think most players have a bit of "Recording Phobia" that does indeed kick in when the record button is pressed.  I don't have a great solution, but what has helped me is to start recording everything, even just practice sessions.  You can delete them later to reclaim the HD space, but record everything.  Then, the record mode being on will become a more natural state.  You can also add recording multiple takes of your tracks, forgetting about any mistakes, and then, with a little luck, you can build a composite track that is free of noticeable mistakes.

• Like 2

Mikko,

I agree. I can play something 10 times perfectly and when I hit the record button my fingers turn to jelly. I like Rockerbob's suggestion. After a while the record button might not be so intimidating.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you for your advices! I think you are right.

My main problem is that I don't practice enough and I have just too little time for making these recordings. I think after practicing same song very precisely it might add confidence and mind would control my doings in positive way, like "yeah, I can play this, there's no problem...etc."

cheers!

• Like 1

I agree that the recording button causes me to mistakes, no matter how many times I tell myself that it really makes no difference.  Somehow it does.  Very annoying, but I suspect those comments above are correct -  if you still make mistakes when recording, more practice is needed, especially with the recording button 'on'.

• Like 1

A couple of things
1. Practice the parts very very slowly so you know exactly what it is you are trying to do. With limited time this can be very beneficial to help you get there you need to be sooner.

2. Record as much as possible and you'll get used to it.

• Like 1

I have the same problem when recording at home

Fingers don't want to do as my brain tells them

I can play the song that I`m attempting to record a million times, adequately

But once I know its a "take", I disintegrate

Sometimes I settle for a well less than perfect take, convincing myself that its more "real"

I think I`m basically a shit guitarist

That IS something I can fix. When I was in the Keys, drove by a bar with giant letters FREE BEER TOMORROW.

Now, 6string, could you please help me put the dog in place of the T and put my signature up? This is really different. Then again, so is every day. Should I switch FF to IE temporarily?

El Salto, I don't know where the reply button is, but I can tell you what the Boss said about that: "For every guy that tells you you play like shit, there's another one that says you're God". That is a misquote, but you get the idea. I am totally in the wrong place, aren't I ?? Still don't know what year it is, but I think I'm in 2018 now?

Edited by texred
big mouth

7 hours ago, texred said:

That IS something I can fix. When I was in the Keys, drove by a bar with giant letters FREE BEER TOMORROW.

Now, 6string, could you please help me put the dog in place of the T and put my signature up? This is really different. Then again, so is every day. Should I switch FF to IE temporarily?

What OS are you using?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, texred said:

Notice!  Time Travelers meeting.  Last Thursday at 2:30 PM.

• Confused 1

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:58 PM, texred said:

El Salto, I don't know where the reply button is, but I can tell you what the Boss said about that: "For every guy that tells you you play like shit, there's another one that says you're God". That is a misquote, but you get the idea. I am totally in the wrong place, aren't I ?? Still don't know what year it is, but I think I'm in 2018 now?

Ha ha, thanks for the encouragement, but in my case its safe to say that I`m shit.

Like really shit, but not shit enough that it will stop me trying to home record some of my shit songs.

Its enjoyable no matter how shit I am.

Yes its 2018 and I`m getting old.

Hey, it took from 2006 to 2018 to put an avatar up. . .

You shouldn't talk about yourself like that. Some of the very best advice I ever got (about beating myself up or whatever) was: Would you talk to your best friend like that?

Believe me, I'm even TO shit yet !! I'm still sending my guitars out for setups. I need to wake up PAY ATTENTION. I am truly terribly technology impaired. Good at giving advice about stuff I know nothing about, though. See? Now I'm doing it !I mostly don't give advice {wanted or not} if I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been gone for a couple days, but I think you should listen to whoever said record everything. It could be your mood, or a million things, but another day, week, decade you might think "Hey, that's not too bad". Ya'll are gonna end up banning me for too many Bruuuce quotes. Well, in a documentary he said he wished he'd recorded everything for the reason I just said. He was really sad thinking about what he had but doesn't have. He's the Boss, ya know, so you should listen to him !! And it's a myth he doesn't like being called that. Good thing for ya'll I haven't been able to afford the autobiography. Yet. What the hell is that word fret______when the neck gets dry and the frets make you bleed? I mean, besides FUBAR. I'm trying to think of the right work. Brain fart. My Fender is afflicted.

I hate working on things. I like to play with them.Especially guitars and I'm not even to "play" yet. I would only say gaze, and perhaps practice.

Yeah, what Rockerbob said and don't worry about anything else. Have fun and record everything.

Edited by texred
want to

RB,

If you don't give me advance notice for TT (time travelers), I will be permanently off-beat. And probably off key. Like El Salto, gimme a break I'm old.