What shape is a minor 7 and a minor 6 chord ? I ask because I saw someone playing a piano version of Eleanor Rigby, and they said they played those chords in the chorus where the words are "All the lonely peo---  ple , where d---o they all come from     ."

Em7 /    /    /, Em6   /  /  / , CM7/E   /     /      /,              Em / / /.

Something like the above.

In the Beatles version you can hear the chello in the back ground striking a 1 2 3 4 , pattern on the base note throughout.

I didn't know that m7 meant minor chord plus the 7th note. That is now understood, thanks to you. But  I have one other question.

Does that mean for an Em7 we could use the E major shape altered to flaten the 3rd note (G# becomes G) which would make it an Em then add the seventh note of the E scale? The 7th note of the E scale is a D#. But I am seeing D natural in the chord diagrams. Can you explain why that is so?

Just for the sake of it have a look at this youtube video that got me interested in the m7 and m6 chords used in the Eleanor Rigby tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imj7FniRzyY&t=562s

On 10/04/2017 at 3:06 PM, Fingers said:

What shape is a minor 7 and a minor 6 chord ? I ask because I saw someone playing a piano version of Eleanor Rigby, and they said they played those chords in the chorus where the words are "All the lonely peo---  ple , where d---o they all come from     ."

Em7 /    /    /, Em6   /  /  / , CM7/E   /     /      /,              Em / / /.

Something like the above.

In the Beatles version you can hear the chello in the back ground striking a 1 2 3 4 , pattern on the base note throughout.

I spent a whole lot of time putting together a section on chords for this site, Fingers. Why not have a look? You'll  learn a lot.