I am about to buy my first guitar and have narrowed down my choices to a few select instruments. I am a bit of a waffler when it comes to things in general and as it turns out guitar is no different
Specifically, I have narrowed my preferences to Yamaha's FS800 or FS820 vs FSX800c. I am also considering the APX600 in lieu of the FSX800c, but I have not been able to find any good side by side comparisons of the FSX800c vs. APX600 online. All of these would be new or like new instruments.
The other alternative I have is to buy a used guitar, that's in good condition for about $50, the Indiana Scout V-S similar to here: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/indiana-scout-full-size-dreadnought-guitar?a=474661
The most important factors to me are:
1) sound and ease of playing/handling the instrument
2) cost - I am mindful of the fact that I will need to purchase a hard case, strap and picks (hoping to use a smartphone tuner).
Right now there are some really good deals on the Yamahas and I am torn between spending an extra $155 (over the Indiana Scout) to get set up with a brand new FS800 and accessories or go with the cheap option and see how I like playing the guitar. The advantages of the FS800 is that it is a slightly smaller and more comfortable to handle guitar. For a slightly ($60-70) higher price over the FS800, I can get the FSX or APX which would allow me to do both acoustic and electric. I am unlikely to need the electric for some time as I am just a beginner, but eventually, I think it might be fun to record myself and think about performing. If I stick with learning the guitar, I can definitely see myself doing both of those things. The main reason why I wouldn't stick with it would be that I am not crazy about the feel of plucking guitar strings (I understand about picks and sliders but even pressing down on the strings hurts my fingers, hopefully, I have just not figured out how to do that correctly yet and it will go away).
To summarize my questions:
1) Should I go with an acoustic or acoustic-electric?
2) If acoustic-electric should I go with the APX600 or the FSX800c?
3) If with acoustic should I dish out an extra $155 to get a brand new set up with the FS800 or FS820 or is it best to start with an older, used, more average model and go with the Indiana Scout? I will probably have to pay around $55 to get the Scout set up and tuned, which would bring the cost closer to $105 and the hard case and strap and picks which I would still need for the Scout would likely be another $70 or so which would be just $30 shy of what I would pay to get a new FS800 setup including hard case, strap and picks.
4) Can I expect that the sound of an older, tuned Scout will be "good enough" for me as a beginner or would the brand new Yamaha sound significantly better?
Answers to any or all of these questions would be much appreciated!
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.