danthelion

"Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar" video.

Some may remember that Kirk told us about this sometime ago in another thread. I have posted it in it's own, so as not to give away what to expect.

This took a bit of finding, after hours of searching the net I found the name of it, it was on the "French & Saunders" show in 1990 [Dawn French (the judge) & Jennifer Saunders (stenographer & voice of 'fairy godmother' in 'Shrek 2')].

Did another search to find that you can't buy this on DVD or Video, then searched every avenue that I knew to see if I could find someone who had it on video, after weeks found it & had it couriered to my place, converted it to mpeg then to wmv. The quality is low due to reduction in size, but I hope you enjoy it.

This proves one of two things, 1) if you are really determined you can make things happen, or 2) I have too much time on my hands.

Dan:)

Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar.wmv

Looks like the only player I got right from the distant memory I had of it was Mark Knopffler! I love it, I love the way the jam falls apart in the end.

Thanks very much for going to all the trouble Dan, that's really funny, and it's good to see all those famous names joining in the fun. :D

Geoff :)

they all needed the diagram with the dots, do you think they could benefit from Plane Talk???

Absolutely hilarious. Don't know how they all managed to keep a straight whilst face doing it! They all sounded so innocent and convincing. :clap:

John

Dan,

While you may indeed have too much time on your hands, I'm glad you do! That was great!

lol awesome video :D

what was that piece that ralph mctell played?

what was that piece that ralph mctell played?

http://www.ralphmctell.co.uk/music/street_clp/01_Streets.mp3

"Streets of London" is a fingerstyle standard, almost up there with 'Classical Gas', almost. ;) It was Ralph McTell's biggest hit & became a bit of an albatross for him, eclipsing everything else he did, there is even another tv skit about that, but I haven't seen it.

Something I have just learnt that amazed me, is that the verse of 'Streets' has the same chord progression as Canon by Pachebell ("I V vi iii IV I IV V"), try it play a recording of Canon & you can almost hear 'Streets'.

Anyway happy you all enjoyed it, thanks to Kirk for telling us about it.

Dan :)

Thank you for the video. Had me in stitches.

About "streets.." I saw a concert on tv a couple of decades ago with McTell. He made fun of that song and the way it apparently was a bit of a crux for him.

He said "And now I´m going to play a medley of my greatest hits Streets of London...."

A few seconds later the audience laughed at that joke and then, of course, he played the song.

I made the mistake of showing the video to some of my guitar playing co-workers....They being professionals, they now claim to be unable to work on anything that "hasn't got the dots"!

Thanks for sharing, it's been a lot of fun around here today.

Thanks for converting it, Danthelion - I've seen it before, but that one's a KEEPER! :yes: Very funny, and they got a lot of great talent on that skit!