CS4

USB Interface Multitracking

Hey Everyone,

I have been searching the forums for quite some time and I have not found an answer to my question:

What is a cheap (possibly under 200$) USB recording interface that will allow me and a friend to record two guitar inputs at once?

Basically my ideal set up would be both guitars>Interface>computer through usb.

Also will Audacity or some other DAW allow for these to come in as separate tracks but record them at the same time?

I really appreciate the help and if clarification is needed then please ask!

Actually I miss quoted myself. My ideal set up would be Guitars> our individual amps> USB Interface inputs> Computer.

Thanks again

Most of the $200 and under units are 1 guitar or 1 mike. The very best unit that you can get that will let you do both is the digidesign mini m-box and it comes with great software. Check out the website. street price under $300 US. I am not a retailer or a promoter of any product, I just know what works.

M-Audio MobilePre ($129.95)

M-Audio MobilePre USB from zZounds.com!

Most recording software will let you record multiple tracks simultaneously. I highly recommend Reaper ($50).

REAPER | About

-tkr

Yes thats right the Maudio Mobile pre is the cheapest but you cant record two guitars at one time. All software is capable of recording 4 or more at one time (some up to 64). The problem is you have to have an interface capable of accepting those inputs. I dont believe this is the case with all of the $200.00 and under usb units.

Basically with these you record only one track at a time. Cs4 wants to record 2 guitars at the one time .

Yes thats right the Maudio Mobile pre is the cheapest but you cant record two guitars at one time.

It has two separate channels and you can record with both at the same time.

-tkr

If you have a firewire input, you could go with something like a Presonus Inspire 1394. They have 2 1/4' inputs and 2 XLR inputs (for mics). Got mine for less than $150.

thanks for all of the info so far.

fly135 your idea has occurred to me multiple times but to be honest i hope it comes with a huge manual because i would have no idea about how to use a board. But i do like that idea. and to be more specific i DO want to record 2 or more high gain instruments (guitars to amp to suggested item to computer). one last question if i may tag onto my own post: I have been recording my acoustic electric by running it from an amp to my comp with no problems, but is there a way to get the line out and the speaker to play at the same time so I don't have to be head phoned to my computer? Thanks for all of the help so far!

CS4

Just go into the Volume Control Panel and unmute the Line-In in the playback dialog. Then you will hear the line-in along with whatever is playing on the computer.

Mixers are a lot easier to use than it looks like. There is an input gain (volume), balance pan, and EQ for each input channel. And a mixed volume output. Knowing that will get you most of what you need to know. Of course there are a few other features, but they are easy to learn.

I looked up the Alesis 8 channel mixer and the big thing that is a huge downer is that it only allows for the simultaneous inputs to come into the program as one track. The firewire version allows multiple different tracks (one for each input) but its over $100 more. That's ridiculous. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help everyone.

I looked up the Alesis 8 channel mixer and the big thing that is a huge downer is that it only allows for the simultaneous inputs to come into the program as one track. The firewire version allows multiple different tracks (one for each input) but its over $100 more. That's ridiculous. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the help everyone.

Go for my original suggestion of the M-Audio Mini M box that I told you about last week, not only will it let you do exactly what you want to do ( 2 channels at once) but it also includes the industry standard Protools software..

Go for my original suggestion of the M-Audio Mini M box that I told you about last week, not only will it let you do exactly what you want to do ( 2 channels at once) but it also includes the industry standard Protools software..

Well, sort of.... It comes with Protools LE which is a very stripped down version of the "industry standard" Pro Tools.

I've personally never been a big fan of Protools. Unless you want to be able to swap projects directly with other studios, there's no need to get Protools as there is a lot better software available that is not proprietary like Protools... For example, with Protools you have to have Digidesign hardware (and certain Digidesign approved M-Audio devices) to even be able to open the Protools software. Protools only supports their own plugin format and does not support VST plugins (HUGE mark against Protools IMO).... You have to get a VST-RTAS adapter which I believe is $100-ish and then you have almost no automation functions.

Protools does have some cool control surfaces though.... If you have around $80,000+ to spend on one. :blink:

-tkr

It's stereo, so you can record 2 separate mono channels at once.