iplaytoworship

Just starting out.

Ok...so, I really want to set up a home recording studio. the problem is, i know nothing about that...that's where i'm hoping you come in. What will I need? what is the price range to set a simple recording studio up from scratch? i really just want to record myself playing the hundreds of songs that i write. i don't need anything special. just something simple, easy, cheapest i can get, and something i can do at home. i really just don't know where to start. any help would be very much appreciated! =-)

I just googled a few sites that may interest you for home recording. Check 'em out and see what ya think.

Recording Studio Accessories for Home, Project and Pro Studios

Home Recording Studio setup configurations - page 1

Setting Up A Home Studio

There's some good reading there and you may pick up some helpful hints along the way.

Hope it helps anyway!

At the barest minimum, you will need:

1) a microphone

2) a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter

Combine these with your choice of free software programs (Audacity and Krystal are the most popular), and you will be able to record.

Definitely check out the lessons and the other threads in this forum for more. It's amazing what you are able to do with such little equipment these days.

You might want to read THIS similar thread for starters. There are several very useful and informative threads in this forum, some with external links that will take you even deeper.

It looks like the C2 may require phantom power which means you would need a pre-amp or audio interface with phantom power with XLR connections to power the mic.

Be sure to read the manufacturers owners manual to make sure you have what is required to operate the device.

Hey iplaytoworship,

What kind of a budget do you have and what are you going to be recording? Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.?

If you are only going to be recording your electric guitar or an acoustic guitar with a pickup then you won't need a mic at all. But if you sing or need to record an acoustic which doesn't have a pickup, then you'll definitely need a mic.

-tkr

well, Tekker, i have an acoustic guitar(alvarez!!!) and i plan on just recording me singing with my acoustic. but, i am in a band and i want to be able to record all of them...at some point. that's a drum set, keyboard, me with my guitar, and vocals. i've been doing my research, and i think $800 will be enough to get me started with a semi-alright system...is this true?

well, Tekker, i have an acoustic guitar(alvarez!!!) and i plan on just recording me singing with my acoustic.

Ok, so you'll definitely need a mic. The Studio Projects B1 ($120) is a great mic and would work very well on vocals and acoustic guitar.

This mic does require phantom power, so a mic preamp will also be necessary. The Studio Projects VTB1 ($120) is a great and inexpensive preamp. This will cover both of your needs for recording yourself. The mic preamp can then be plugged directly into your stock PC soundcard.

Recording software:

Reaper ($40). Great recording software at a very inexpensive price. Not as "pretty" looking as many of the other recording programs, but it is loaded with features that many other recording programs could only dream of having and it is upgraded daily for free.

So the mic and preamp will set you back about $240, then $40 for Reaper will put you at $280 to record only yourself.

but, i am in a band and i want to be able to record all of them...at some point. that's a drum set, keyboard, me with my guitar, and vocals. i've been doing my research, and i think $800 will be enough to get me started with a semi-alright system...is this true?

Drums bring a whole new factor into the equation. They require more mics and therefore more mic preamps and soundcard inputs as well.

A good approach to drums is 4 mics. Two overhead mics and one mic on the snare and one mic on the kick drum. I prefer to mic the toms as well, so I usually record drums with a minimum of 7 mics.

I definitely think you can add to the setup mentioned above and have no problems getting everything for under $800.

First you'll need more soundcard inputs and preamps so you can use more mics.

Behringer ADA800 ($230) - 8 inputs AND 8 mic preamps with phantom power. This is one of Behringer's better units. Behringer does make some pretty good equipment, just not mixers (I own one of these myself). ;)

Drum mics:

Red5 Audio RVK7 (a little over $300) - Great drum mics. These are the ones I use and from the reviews I saw, these beat out a lot of the more "well known" drum mics such as AKG, Shure, etc. I also have an AKG kick mic that costs almost three times what the Red5 kick mic costs and a Shure SM57 (the "industry standard" for snare and tom miking) that I never use anymore. These are GREAT mics!

If you go this route, then the soundcard will provide you with a preamp and phantom power, so the Studio Projects VTB1 mic preamp mentioned above would be "optional". The VTB1 is an awesome preamp, much better than the Behringer's so you'll get a better sound, but you can always add this at a later time if you choose too.... (highly recommended that you do! :yes:)

So to recap (excluding the VTB1):

Studio Projects B1 mic - $120

Behringer ADA8000 - $230

Red5 Audio - $300-ish

Reaper - $40

This brings you to a grand total of $690 and will cover recording your full band. :yeahhh:

Hope that helps. :)

-tkr

Oooops!! I goofed! :(

I thought the Behringer ADA8000 was PCI, but it's actually ADAT and does NOT come with the card to connect it to your computer. Unfortunately, this means you need one more thing to make the ADA8000 work...

The cheapest ADAT-PCI interfaces I could find are $200.

However, I found another soundcard (the EMU 1212M) that has ADAT capabilities for $150 (new). With this you will get 2 more inputs and outputs at a cheaper price than the typical ADAT interfaces.

Here's one on ebay with a Buy Now of $120 and free shipping.

eBay: EMU E-MU 1212M PCI Digital Audio Sound Card w/ Warranty (item 170130933125 end time Jul-20-07 12:55:48 PDT)

This will put you just slightly over the $800 mark at $810.

Sorry about the mess up. :( :(

-tkr