mickyboy100

help what do i need to record

hi gang i need some help been playing about 14 months now getting to a decent standard(not great,decent) iwould like to post some of my songs on the forum trouble is i dont have a clue what i need to be able to do this aprt from my amp all i have is this computer can someone point me in the right direction on what kind of gear i will need all help greatly appreciated:yeahhh: :yeahhh::clap: :clap: :helpsmili:brickwall::beer: :beer: :beer:

I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend, I started experimenting with the mic on a headset! The results were poor, a very tinny, thin sort of sound.

Do you have a souncard in you pc, or onboard sound?

oops - didn't mean to click just then!!

My understanding is that a soundcard will give better results than onboard sound. I have an Audigy 2 card which is great, there's a few on ebay now.

I can't remember the reason (or may not have understood) but the line-in jack on your pc will give better results than your mic. If you use line-in though it needs a beefier signal so you'll need a preamp.

My set up is like this:

Shure SM58 mic - (XLR - XLR cable) - ART studioV3 preamp - (XLR - 1/4" stereo jack cable) and a 1/4" x 1/8" adapter to plug into the sound card.

XLR - XLR cable connects the mic to the preamp, XLR - 1/4" stereo connects the preamp to the pc soundcard, ...well 1/4" doesn't fit into the pc so I have a little adapter 1/4" x 1/8" which goes into the smaller size socket in the souncard.

Then there's software to help you 'fatten' your sounds and add effects. 'Audacity' is ok and it's a free download.

I have 'adobe auditions' which is great but does a million things I don't understand.

hope that helps.

John

thanks jomi along the lines i wanted to know dont want to spend a fortune, but dont want to scrimp either middle of the road costs as long as it does what i want the software i can get my head round it,s just knowing what physical stuff i need thanks for your help:confused: :dunno::smilinguitar::beer: :beer:

Great lesson, Tekker - that definitely covers the basics of recording on a budget! :winkthumb: It's a great progression to go from there to your other lessons on recording.

Maybe there should be a lesson giving a guided tour of Kristal sounds? Then I'll be able to convince myself I don't need to spend ages messing around with them and get on with what I should be doing.:smilinguitar:

Any latency issues with that software, Doveman? Latency seems to be the biggest complaint about recording onto the computer.

Any latency issues with that software, Doveman? Latency seems to be the biggest complaint about recording onto the computer.

Most of my recordings had latency issues ... an older PC ... but more importantly I didn't have a duplex soundcard.

Get one of these ... or something like it ...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Audiophile-2496-PCI-Digital-Audio-Card?sku=701341

When I got this recently (last couple of months) ... life became much better ... :yeahhh:

It ain't so much about the software,strat... a lot of latency can be addressed by telling windows how to operate properly whilst it's recording for you... like this - then install asio4all onto any system with weak ASIO capabilities (that includes soundblaster users), and you should have a tight system. :winkthumb:

I was down to 2ms latency recording into my old AMD XP1700 with only 512ram and onboard sound... you just gotta setup and prepare a little. :)

I'll have to check out the link, OldG. I already have the ASIO4ALL drivers installed, as well as Kristal and Audacity - I just haven't spent that much time messing with any of them. I didn't personally notice a huge latency problem, but I know it's an issue that a lot of people have discussed here.