tina_

Stupid question...

Sorry, I just want to make sure I've got it right. To record, I need:

- a cable to link line out on my amp to line in on my PC

- Kristal (or something similar)

Thats it? I'm happy to buy a cable but don't want to spend loads more.

I am thinking of buying guitar pro, will this sit alongside Kristal with no problems? My guess is I wouldn't run them at the same time - but I don't want to be messing around with audio system settings all the time.

Yes, that's all you need Tina. You shouldn't have any compatability problems with GP and Kristal either.

Thanks - I think I'm going for the headphones out of the amp to the mic into the PC..... anyone see any issues with that?

:)

Thanks - I think I'm going for the headphones out of the amp to the mic into the PC..... anyone see any issues with that?

Use line in. It will sound better.

I think I'm half way there. I've connected headphones out on the amp to one of my line-in's. I can hear me play through the speakers but not in Kristal?

In "Devices", my soundcard drivers are showing in MME but not in the ASIO area (looks like my ASIO driver is directX). ASIO doesn't seem to like my soundcard driver (Realtek HD Audio input)?

Can anyone help? :)

Hi Tina :)

I reckon asio4all will do it... I have Kristal installed using the Realtek AC97 sound card. Asio4all works fine here :winkthumb:

When download and install you can tweak the driver to get low latency as described in post no12 in this thread

Thanks - I'm getting closer :)

I have asio4all installed and I can hear sound through Kristal but it sounds bad and quiet. This is what I now have:

- No VST's (I'm still waiting for a download link in mail :( )

- ASIO ports (both say "not connected" in Kristal) but I see activity when I strum

- MME disabled

- Engine/device info/Audio outputs Says ASIO4ALL but has no info in the right hand side box (which is greyed out)

- Lots of echo/distortion on a very queit sound. However, if I mute on the windows sound tool, I get no sound in Kristal. I'm wondering if something isn't set up and the sound is echoing around a bit as I'm trying it with the amp and guitar on full volume.

Any ideas?

Ok then..

Lets go in order, starting with VST's... There are plenty of great free VST's to have including guitar amp simulators - listed and linked to here, create a new folder for them in your program files folder like this...C:Program FilesVstplugins, this way if you install more than one audio program that uses VST's, you'll have a common folder for them to use and no need to duplicate..:yes:

ok, 'not connected'... I also had this when I opened Kristal and had to reinstall kristal to stop this happening. I also found the sample song that came with Kristal was garbled and distorted on playback, after reinstall it looks like this...

kristalinput.gif

As for the quiet level, that can sometimes happen when you are plugged into line in, but still have mic selected as the recording channel in the windows mixer...

Just to check,If you go to system tray at the bottom right hand corner and right click the speaker icon,the click 'Adjust Audio Properties' then follow the steps shown here

you should be getting close...

tell us how you got on,

HTH

Mick

:yeahhh: I have a nice clean sound. I'll fix the rest later. Thanks Mick.

In case anyone has a similar problem: I muted the mic on record and restarted my PC with the amp/guitar all plugged in. Seems it would pick it up on the install without that.

Great to hear you got it sussed!

Now you can download some guitar type VST's and rock out!

A couple of great ones to try listed here:winkthumb:

I'm all sorted, I've played, edited and added some effects and saved to a wav file :smilinguitar:

I don't have anything that anyone'd want to listen to (just playing around trying out effects)... but I'll get there soon enough.

Big thanks to Mick :claping: