eddiez152

Home Recording Question

Which System For Recording  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which System For Recording

• Recording on PC
    • Recording on Mac
    • Recording on Stand Alone

Thanks Steve for your insight and sharing your knowledge with us wannabee's. I really enjoy trying to better myself in the recording aspect and gathering know-how and tips from "you all" sure makes it a little easier.

You're welcome, but hey, it's all relative. I'm a wanabee compared to many of the thousands of mixing and mastering geniouses out there.

I bought a pair of Event B.A.S. 20/20 monitors used 3 or 4 years ago and it was the best investment I've made to my set-up. They were expensive even used but well worth it. I listen to store bought cd's on it to help compare my recordings, and although I'm no professional audiophile it has helped with picking up on the small things that I used to miss.

Listening to CD's to compare is a great thing. That's a question I ask people or have been asked: "Is there a particular CD you want this one to sound like or that you just like the production?"

One other point to throw in the mix is that it is important to do some "training" when you are getting into mixing. When you find music that you like and has the kind of sound you would like to emulate, listen to it very carefully on whatever you are using to mix with, whether it be headphones, desktop speakers, etc. It really helps if you have a decent spectrum analyzer (basically a real time equalizer readout) to get a picture of what the sound "looks" like. If you mix it to sound fantastic on your headphones and then put it in the car, it may sound terrible. However, something that sounds great on your car stereo may sound thin on your headphones.

Also, in order to build clarity, you have to start targeting certain frequency ranges for certain instruments. For example, your solo guitar part in the song is likely to be played in a higher range- so, cut the low end of the spectrum out. This reduces "muddiness" in the overall mix. This tip alone has improved the sound of my mixes dramatically from when i first started.

Excellent stuff, Chris. There's nothing like weeding out extra mud to help out.

Also, in order to build clarity, you have to start targeting certain frequency ranges for certain instruments.

This is where I'm at now...trying to understand the ranges and how to get the best out of them. Wonder if anyones ever done a schematic {so to speak} of what each range consist of in terms even I could understand?

YOU "ARE" THE MAN STEVE....Thank you SOOO much:winkthumb:

Edit: update - after a quick glance thru..just wanted to say thanks again..exactly what I was looking for. Bookmarked

And this thread, folks, is free!

Great information! Top notch!

LC

P.S.

Y'all have a standing invitation over here at Frogs Farm! ;)

I was reading thru this thread tonight, mainly because I am just too tired from a days work to play guitar. Lots of valuable info here. I have been using a fairly simple program called n-track off and on for several years and it has served me well. It really isn't an expensive program at all either. I use a cheap old Fostex mixer and just plug it into my line in on my soundcard. The program has lots of features and even has the abilites to make your own drum tracks in the newest version. I have no connection to these people at all, just thought I would give a heads up to it. Well, I was going to post a link to it, but the forum won't allow it, so, I guess, just Google it.

Bob

Hey JF-30, welcome to the forum. :clap:

Check out Reaper. It costs $40 and it is leaps and bounds beyond N-Track. :winkthumb: Give the demo version a try, it is fully functional demo and never expires.

-tkr