eddiez152

Home Recording Question

Which System For Recording  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which System For Recording

• Recording on PC
    • Recording on Mac
    • Recording on Stand Alone

First of baretta a very warm welcome to you. I'm not going to say anything, but I think that we should look at your website. You have one hell of a pedigree, and I for one find it a privilege that you have joined our fantastic site. What part of the midland's are you from. I reckon I've probly seen you perform in the past. I agree with you on keeping it simple. Me being of a simple mind. Nice to have you on board.:yeahhh::thumbup1::smilinguitar:

Using an XLR to XLR balanced lead is the preferable option for connecting Mic to a mixer. a balanced signal is far cleaner and less noisy than an unbalanced signal...

My mic is a tube mic which requires it to run into a power supply then out via XLR to

1/4" to the mixer. I have actually asked around about this because I feel the same...

XLR would give better sound quality but everyone I have asked says the same...the

power box is required because phantom power does not give enough juice. I would

like to give it a shot but I don't want to break anything.

Unfortunately, this basically aint gunna happen. Without serious feedback eliminators, and EQ's.. Best bet is to monitor using headphones. The mixer should have a button on each chanel marked PFL (pre fade listen), or CUE or perhaps a "To Monitor" button, any tracks that have this button activated will be sent to the headphones/monitor, regardless of fader position...

The only way to monitor w/ my mixer is to turn the level down on the channel. It was

only $65 and it is meeting my requirements for the most part. What I would like to

do is figure out how to loop back and plug in my speakers and phones so I have

more control of sound output thru my mixer. Here is a pic of it. Any suggestions?

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/proddetail.cfm?id=802&type=220〈=ENG

I am thinking--soundcard out to stereo aux return and then plug in speakers

into ctrl room out? Would that blow anything up?

Baretta,

Welcome to the club, heavy weights always apreciated.

OK guys, nice to see some serious responses, trials and heartbreaks.

eddiez152:yes:

but if your scared of PC's(which I am) it does'nt come easy. ie. you manage to record yourself, then you find out your recording is too big and has to be compressed Whaaat! so if your not used to computers it really becomes a jargon minefield.

There is some serious power among the folks here in the recording forum. Lots of knowledge.

But just a brief note of the above thought from a great member of GFB & B. No need to be afraid of any PC or the recording software. They only way you can break either one is to hit them with a hammer.

The hardest part of any home recording studio is the learning curve of the software involved. And frankly, some of the documentation that comes with recording software is way too deep and intimidating. So chuck the books. There are a number of great home recording forums on the network. And all that I have visited and gained mine extremely limited knowledge on the subject have been most helpful and polite.

Unlike the old days, us newbies have the abililty to listen, edit, add and delete all with a click of a mouse.

Nothin' to it. And as Steve said, no piece of software is going to make your recording a great recording. Your ears and experience do that. The software doesn't tell you, "man, you need to add some EQ or lay a little compressor to that track". Your ears tell you that. The software is just the tool to adjust the EQ to your ear's delight.

and I've rambled on that which I know not .... ;)

Lcjones,

With all due respect, any response from season players here on GFB&B is looked up to.

All of us listen to what Kirk,RB,Tekker and yourself have to say.

Many of us are still in the peanut gallery looking at the stars.

Lcjones,

With all due respect, any response from season players here on GFB&B is looked up to.

All of us listen to what Kirk,RB,Tekker and yourself have to say.

Many of us are still in the peanut gallery looking at the stars.

I 100% agree!:yes:

The only way to monitor w/ my mixer is to turn the level down on the channel. It was

only $65 and it is meeting my requirements for the most part. What I would like to

do is figure out how to loop back and plug in my speakers and phones so I have

more control of sound output thru my mixer. Here is a pic of it. Any suggestions?

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/proddetail.cfm?id=802&type=220&lang=ENG

I am thinking--soundcard out to stereo aux return and then plug in speakers

into ctrl room out? Would that blow anything up?

First off, if you're going to be coming out of the soundcard, make sure it's a line level output and not a speaker level output into the aux return.

The Control Room out would be a line level signal that you would need to send to an amp and then speakers. You could do it this way (take the output from the soundcard if it's line level), but you don't have to, and it may be more of a heartache than you need.

You can use the Control Room out signal right now. I take it that you're sending stereo l & r to the computer for recording. The thing is, the record signal needs to stay hot. The Control Room signal is adjustable by the same pot as the headphones. Better yet, just use headphones when you record!

You only need to monitor what you're playing in order for you to play it the way you want to when recording. If you need to monitor other signals while you're recording, which we all do!, then you need to use headphones on your PC with mixing sofware that will give you the levels that you need.

Your monitor signal and record signal need to be two separate things. Spend the time in mixdown to get the output levels you want and just be sure to record everything as hot as you can without distortion.

Steve

How many on the site do home recordings ?

How many use A PC

How many use a Mac

How many use a Stand Alone system

Which one is better ?

eddiez152

Hi Eddie--

I know you already know I just posted some articles here on recording. I just wanted you to know that between me and Kirk and Tekker and alot of others here with a ton of experience that we'll get ya all going down the right road!

Me, I have yet to dive into the computer recording thing. I know it's just a matter of time.

But there's two different aspects to recording: the mechanical knowledge of the equipment and the theory of recording and mixing (funny, that's how I think of playing the guitar, too). ;)

It's one thing to spend time on the large learning curve of equipment. Whew! Lord knows I should have a degree it in by now. But what I'm getting at is that learning the equipment doesn't show ya a thing about how to record or what to think about when recording. I mean, sure they both have to go hand in hand, but spend equal time reading about microphone placement, learning to get a hot signal and audio mixing techniques.

Anyway, I DO record digitally these days, it's just that I record to digital tape! I mixdown in the digital world, though. So I'm actually recording and mixing with my foot in both worlds.

Steve

Steve,

Your posts have been excellant. You can bet, that each time a beginner open the site,

and see Kirks lessons or listen to other play, good or not they want to record. Certainly all can pick up a video camera or just turn on the webcam like my first run at "Colours" only because I didn't have any recording equipment and go at it. If for nothing more than some minor credit of acheivment from others. It keeps their hopes up.

eddiez152

Steve,

Thank you very much for that info:yes: :winkthumb: I will definitely give it a whirl

as my friend and I tried recording yesterday and we had some problems w/ monitoring.

I went to you lesson pages too! It is very nice of you to devote your time in helping us

out around here!!! Much appreciated!!!:yes:

Steve,

Thank you very much for that info:yes: :winkthumb: I will definitely give it a whirl

as my friend and I tried recording yesterday and we had some problems w/ monitoring.

I went to you lesson pages too! It is very nice of you to devote your time in helping us

out around here!!! Much appreciated!!!:yes:

You're totally welcome! I'll be posting more guitar related video lessons later...

I can't get the hang of Mac's either - with only 1 button, I can only do 1/2 as much. = )

I use a couple PC's - I use a TonePort UX2 (awesome) - in a cheaper form you can use a GuitarPort (I have one of those too - considered selling it) - I plug direct into the toneport, I record with various software...

Pro Teck Plus

guitar Tacks Pro 3

Others...

I tend to PREFER something called Tracktion. (by Mackie)

I use a Peavey mixer (mainly for out put or mixing to input) not essental. And I output to the mixer for playback - and powered Alesis powered monitors. Check out the Toneport for a computer input interface - it's great. Also does all those cool "tones/effects"

Rojoyinc, I had a Guitar Port and sold it. It was a nice unit, no real complaints. But I'd be interested in knowing how the Toneport is better.

Has two XLR imputs, with optional +48v phantom power, lots of other features. check it out on the line6.com site. I only had the guitar port for the (online lessons, which now can be done with toneport) and because the guitarport was smaller and more portable (with my laptop) but I'm using a Boss Micro BR now for recording and effects. So not sure if I still need teh guitar port. (for all I can get out of it - I might as well keep it).

The micro BR is great for the money too - I really have fun with it.

OK, I finally jumped into the PC recording world too. After a lot of reading/researching, I bought an Alesis MultiMix 8 USB Mixer today, just started fooling around with it a couple hours ago. This is the first time I've ever even touched a mixer board, but it's not as tough as I thought it would be.

It plugs straight into USB, so no need for cords and 1/4" - 1/8" adapters to the soundcard. Windows (at least XP) already has USB sound drivers, which automatically install as soon as you plug the mixer in. The only hitch is making sure you have the USB audio input/output selected in whichever recording program you use (I'm just using Audacity for now - simple as can be). Latency, from what I've seen so far, is absolute zero (ASIO4ALL drivers already installed on the computer). 4 XLR inputs with switchable +48v phantom power, 3-band EQ and high pass filters on the 4 balanced channels, fx send/return, etc.

First impression - I think I'm going to like this PC recording stuff! It's much easier than using the Micro BR - I can see my tracks at a glance, edit/delete them easily, label & organize them, mute and unmute them with the click of a button, etc.

I did a little sample recording screwing around with it (attached) - please disregard the playing and vox themselves, they're definitely not my best efforts - I just threw this together real quick to test everything out and did a haphazard mixdown in Audacity. The setup was: electric guitar direct-in with no fx (other than a bit of 'verb) for the electric rhythm, lead and bass tracks (I put the bass track so far back in the mix that you might not even be able to hear it); Nady SP-4C mic for both vox tracks (XLR connector); acoustic guitar mic'ed with the above Nady mic for the acoustic rhythm track (mic laying on the desk, pointing in the general direction of the guitar). It was a total of 7 tracks (counting a click track). EQ was all done on the mixer - I played with the panning and levels a bit in Audacity, exported it to mp3 and that was it.

I'm completely new to this end of things, so if anybody has any suggestions / constructive criticism, I'm 100% all ears and would be extremely appreciative!

New Mixer Blues.mp3

Strat,

Hey that was pretty cool. Here is what I hear from this mix.

Maybe done this way for a point.

A guitar player sitting in front left singing a few low lines. A singer in the middle 5' back singing solo and another player doing rhythm to the right in the back round. Now I call that some serious panning.

Pretty Slick. Good vocals and guitar by the way

eddiez

Thanks for the input, guys....any and all is appreciated!

Eddie - I did make the panning a a bit overblown just to see what the results would sound like....I was playing with both the panning pots on the mixer and the individual track pan controls in Audacity. My two monitoring options for mixing right now are a cheap pair of Sony headphones through the mixer's phone out jack or a pair of PC speakers with a subwoofer - I imagine that neither of those are anywhere near optimal for mixing!

I wish i could throw things like that together strat;) ...anyway checking that site i saw this "USB port adds computer connectivity for plug-and-play Mac and PC operation" this is an area of computers i'm ignorant about, doesn't something plug to the PC?

Thanks, Tom and Fly! Fly - I'll have to work on doing more of the song....it was just quick & dirty to lay down a 12-bar with the same old tired blues riff I always use, and throw some improvised on-the-spot vocals over it. :) Gave me something to test the setup and play around with mixing a bit.

Now I'm going to have to start figuring out how to get drum tracks in. I have Leaf Drums, but it's been driving me nuts trying to figure it out - I can do a simple 4/4 bass/snare, but haven't been able to get a shuffle beat that sounds right yet.

I wish i could throw things like that together strat;) ...anyway checking that site i saw this "USB port adds computer connectivity for plug-and-play Mac and PC operation" this is an area of computers i'm ignorant about, doesn't something plug to the PC?

Tom - the mixer has a USB port on the back panel, and comes with a cord that you just plug into any USB port on your computer. The USB connection handles all the input from the mixer (stereo) - no need to connect to the line-in or mic-in on your soundcard. It truly was 'plug and play', unlike most of these things which usually end up being more like 'plug and pray', or 'plug and curse'! :D For anybody who'd rather use conventional connections, it has "main mix out" and "control room out" jacks on the front panel.

Thanks so much strat....now it seems my presario5000 has 2 of these usb ports right on the front of my computer. So just in case i'm not sure if i have these ports (but i'm sure i do) these mixers (or the one you have) can also use in-line huh?....anyway, i found a pic on the net of the front of the presario showing where i think the ports are. I will post a link with a pic, its the 2nd pic down on left. The front of the puter with a little door open

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220106825772&ih=012&category=140072&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

Tom - your computer probably has a couple of USB ports on the front and a couple on the back as well. Mine has 2 USB and 1 Firewire behind the little door in the front (like yours), and 3 USB ports on the back of the computer. I have my mixer plugged into the back because I like the plug to be out of the way of being accidentally bumped.

OK great, now that i have some knowledge i know what the heck to look for in a mixer. I never attached anything to my puter even a printer so these ports were foriegn to me, thanks strat