Home Recording Question

Which System For Recording  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which System For Recording

• Recording on PC
    • Recording on Mac
    • Recording on Stand Alone

eddiez152    129

How many on the site do home recordings ?

How many use A PC

How many use a Mac

How many use a Stand Alone system

Which one is better ?

eddiez152

eddiez152    129

busaclub and YouToo,

Thats why I brough up the poll so that more of us can get started. I have friends that argue about the fact that its easier to do on a Mac.

eddiez152

eddiez152    129

A tune I posted for a Friend "Sweet Duo" is recorded on a Mac. Now Steve has a lot of equipment including stand alone products which he does not use anymore. The question posed is for an opinion because of investment reasons for many of us.

Steve plays as a professional entertainer for a living. I wish he'd get on more often.

eddiez152

I hear you eddiez152. But I reckon recording has got to be the biggest bugbear that most of the folk on the site come across. It gets really frustrating, I know there are people on site to give all the help on site, but if your scared of PC's(which I am) it does'nt come easy. ie. you manage to record yourself, then you find out your recording is too big and has to be compressed Whaaat! so if your not used to computers it really becomes a jargon minefield. Lets face it, we put a lot of time practicing on our beloved guitars, we get a tune correct, and then you've got to figure out how to get it on to a PC. I love this site to bits and I really admire the people who put on some fantastic recording's of their playing. The thing that annoy's me; is that I dont live next door to them. I'm not blaming anyone but myself for my lack of computer knowledge. I must remedy that. By the way! what the difference between a PC and a Mac?:angry::brickwall::crying2::dunno::smilinguitar:

Matty22    0

Chalk me up for PC..

I have been lucky enough to use Pro Tools before (MAC), but could never get the hang of the Mac interface, and that silly single button mouse (then again, i do like the USB on the keyboard, thats kinda cool for dongles)....

The basic setup i use... 10ch (mic) alto or yammaha mixer, into a Echo Layla 3g, into the computer (1.8ghtz 1g ram, 2x320g HDD). Which gives me 10 seperate tracks that i can record simultaneously, it also gives me 10 outputs from the computers.

I use Adobe Audition for software, and have found that the best there is.. The old fact that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, is how i look at the free stuff....

Having said that, Im also looking at assisting with whatever i can no a Open Source multi track recording software called Traverso designed for linux. At the point that does everything that I use audition for, ill make the complete switch to linux on all my machines....

Rockerbob    47

I'm a Mac user for music, as well as most personal stuff. I use a Windows laptop for work and I have several WIndows and Linux based servers here in my home networking lab. Each has it's strengths and each can do the same basic job. I like the Mac and the Mac interface. I also like the very late generation music software on the mac. It's been around on Mac for a long, long time.

BTW Matty - I have a 5 button wireless mouse with a scroll wheel on my mac.

fly135    5

I use a PC and Audacity. I have a low cost Behringer mixer and some cheap Nady mics. Not counting the PC I'm using less than $150 worth of equipment. 2 Nady SP5 mics, mic stand, and a UB1002Fx mixer. Works good enough for me considering my abilities. Of course I have lots of other stuff, but as far as recording goes what I listed is the basics.

CanuckTodd    0

A Mac. Find a quiet spot with decent acoustics. Boot up laptop. Start Audacity. Press record. Play guitar. Built in mic records. Hit stop. Listen. Want to add another track? Repeat the process. It's not perfect, but it sure is easy to create digital noise.

Mixer, pre-amp sound cards, wires, patch cables, whazzat?;) ;) :guitardude:

Tekker    1

PC for me. :winkthumb:

It depends on what your recording needs are, but for what I need the best software only runs on Windows. Plus there are numerous effects plugins (a lot of them for FREE, some of them can be found here) that are PC only.

IMO the software is more important over the OS platform. So look for a program that has the features you want and is within your price range. And if the one you decide on is available on both platforms, then you can get into the PC vs Mac battles. ;)

-tkr

Tekker    1
and how many would like to but dont know how

*Ahem*.... :D

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69

I know you've already seen those busaclub, but if you or anyone else has any suggestions for new lessons that aren't already covered (or would like clarification on stuff that is already covered) then please post your suggestions in the discusion forum.... Spring break is approaching, so I'll have some free time to write.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

-tkr

Tekker    1
Tekker,

Thanks for the link, that a lot of stuff. A great help when trying to make decisions.

And that's just a drop in the bucket..... :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+vst+plugins

But there is a lot of junk out there too that aren't worth the time it takes to download them. The list above is the stuff I have personally used and most of it I still use even among the commercial plugins I have.

-tkr

Stratrat    0

Stand-alone for me - Boss Micro BR 4-track recorder. It takes a bit of reading the manual to get the hang of using it, but it works quite well and the files are downloadable to the PC.

toryst    0

I just purchased a Behringer Xenyx802 mixer and E-mu 0404 sound card a few weeks ago.

I am still having some trouble figuring out the right wiring and how to set up

head phones on the mixer to monitor. The learning curve is decidedly steep:dunno:

It's just a matter of tweaking and experimenting.

Everyone who is new to this MUST check out Tekker's tutorials on home recording.

It is a required read and I still refer back to them.:yes::winkthumb:

eddiez152    129

toryst,

This is exactly why I started the thread for all of us out there in GFB&B.

"Trouble figuring it out"

I am sure the learning curve is a real killer for all who want to get started, and all who want to improve their set up.

I have read Tekkers tutorials and others. Congrats, and thanks those who have spent many hours on this subject alone. Just hoping to shed some light on this for those who want to get started but need a better guide from other who made it sucessfully.

There are over 30,000 people here, they would all like to record something I'm sure and only handfulls get there.

toryst    0

Ok...I'm biting...

Here is my set up. Into my Behringer 802 I have an MXL condensor mic plugged into

a power supply w/ a XLR out to a 1/4'" jack to channel 1.

My Microcube has a cord from the rec out to the line in of the mixer ( I keep channel 2open in case somebody wants to plug in another mic).

My PRS goes into the Microcube and w/ that I am able to control all effects of my electric guitar.

My main mix out on the Behringer is 2 1/4" jacks to the 2 1/4" jacks on the input of my E-mu break out cords.

My output from the soundcard (which is my biggest bane to date) goes to my pc speakers via some frankenstein cordage (which is still not correct as I am only getting a left speaker signal).

I have multiple bundles of software I acquired from the E-mu

purchase,including Cubase and Cakewalk, but I have yet to scratch the surface on those.

I am still using Kreative as of right now.

Cubase and Cakewalk are yet to be pioneered.

I just re-read this and can see why ppl can be overwhelmed because of the verbage.

I am only an absolute beginner and this terminology makes sense...it's just a matter

of research, trial and error.

I would really like to figure out how to monitor recordings through my speakers, w/o

having to turn the speakers down. I always get major feedback trying to monitor:brickwall:

toryst    0

Ok...I'm biting...

Here is my set up. Into my Behringer 802 I have an MXL condensor mic plugged into

My Microcube has a cord from the rec out to the line in of the mixer ( I keep channel 2open in case somebody wants to plug in another mic).

My PRS goes into the Microcube and w/ that I am able to control all effects of my electric guitar.

My main mix out on the Behringer is 2 1/4" jacks to the 2 1/4" jacks on the input of my E-mu break out cords.

My output from the soundcard (which is my biggest bane to date) goes to my pc speakers via some frankenstein cordage (which is still not correct as I am only getting a left speaker signal).

I have multiple bundles of software I acquired from the E-mu

purchase,including Cubase and Cakewalk, but I have yet to scratch the surface on those.

I am still using Kreative as of right now.

Cubase and Cakewalk are yet to be pioneered.

I just re-read this and can see why ppl can be overwhelmed because of the verbage.

I am only an absolute beginner and this terminology makes sense...it's just a matter

of research, trial and error.

I would really like to figure out how to monitor recordings through my speakers, w/o

having to turn the speakers down. I always get major feedback trying to monitor:brickwall:

PS...Eddie, I have read some of tweakheadz tutorials and I have to say that

it seem like some sound advice;)

Matty22    0

Using an XLR to XLR balanced lead is the preferable option for connecting Mic to a mixer. a balanced signal is far cleaner and less noisy than an unbalanced signal...

having to turn the speakers down. I always get major feedback trying to monitor

Unfortunately, this basically aint gunna happen. Without serious feedback eliminators, and EQ's.. Best bet is to monitor using headphones. The mixer should have a button on each chanel marked PFL (pre fade listen), or CUE or perhaps a "To Monitor" button, any tracks that have this button activated will be sent to the headphones/monitor, regardless of fader position...

OldG    3

Ok then,I'll bite too :)

Bog standard PC to record with, used like this...

Guitar to Boss ME-50 effects pedal (this acts as a preamp to control the signal level)

standard jack lead with a 1/8'' stereo converter plugged into line in on the PC's onboard soundcard, ( standard AC97 found on loadsa PC's)

Alternatively, Guitar into cheap phonic 2002 mixer... this gives a choice of outputs into 1/8th converter, and again into the line in on the soundcard. With this I can input several instruments and mics. For effects using this method, either add your effects pedal/s before the mixer or I sometimes use a 'virtual' amp like Amplitube.

My recording software of choice is Sony Acid Pro 6... very simple to use compared to the likes of Cubase... ( Cubase is powerful - but very awkward to do anything with it - too much going on for the home recordist imo)

With Acid you can change the bpm of any drum or music sample you wish to make a backing track at any speed you wish, and listen to your guitar as you're recording with all the effects applied as you do it. Anything you want to record or create from samples or midi can be mixed together in any way you wish - It's the best DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) I have tried - simple to use but seemingly limitless :D

Krystal is a great free DAW if you don't want to spend anything, it has its limitations,although it would be fine for starter guitar recording program.

As with all software to get the best from these programs, make sure you read the manual/tutorials and look for a forum discussing the program you have chosen to use. :winkthumb:

baretta    0

You can't monitor recording through your speakers without getting feedback using a mike. Electric guitar DI'd (direct injection) will be OK. Just remember KISS keep it simple stupid. Lots of equipment is not the answer. You're only as good as what you put in. Don't rely on the software to get a good sound going in. Get it sounding right and then just press record, you can't go wrong.