jasoncohen

pa system

i have a 50 watt vox valvetronix amp, but i dont know if i am going to be loud enough at this upcoming show my band is playing...ive heard that you can hook up an amp to a pa system....how do you do that?

That depends on a lot of factors. If your Pa cab has a tweeter in it then running your amp directly into it won't sound to good. Tweeters can't handle the harmonics from an electric. Running a bass through it would work,but again,if there is a tweeter it will change the sound of the bass which some players like. Just go through your mixer and see how it sounds. PAs aren't very efficient for electrics because the woofers are geared for a bigger bass response than electics can provide,but you will get the volume. You would be better seved by buying a cabnet instead. A 4X12 or 2X12 would boost your sound a lot. You can surf the net for simple build plans for a cab. If you built a bird house in shop,you can build a cab. Cheapest way to go.

I have seen people mic the amp (some amps have a direct out) to a PA. Also most bands play way too loud anyway :scared: .

He never said how big the place was. If the place is about as big as a schools gym you should be okay. Just mike the amp they will hear it just fine. Or you can barrow's a buddies amp and link them together. I use to run my own sound system but that was years ago. The stuff they have today is alot more better in a small package. I won't directly link the guitar into the sound board. Just mike it with a directional mike and everything should be okay.

He never said how big the place was. If the place is about as big as a schools gym you should be okay. Just mike the amp they will hear it just fine. Or you can barrow's a buddies amp and link them together. I use to run my own sound system but that was years ago. The stuff they have today is alot more better in a small package. I won't directly link the guitar into the sound board. Just mike it with a directional mike and everything should be okay.

how do you mic it and what is a directional mic.

put a mic in front of your amp. A directional is like a vocal mic and its not used to be receiving sound from the side but from the direction of the area the sound is coming from like the front. There's different microphones out there for different reasons. I can't remember what I use to use when I ran sound for some bands its been to long ago. But I didn't buy cheap mic's at the time either. I can't remember really setting people's stuff up I just done it.

do i get a regular directional mic or an instrument mic...what is the price range i should be looking in...and do i place the mic right up against the amp or just have it close to it?

who ever is running the sound system should have all that stuff. To me sounds like your playing some kind of back street party. And about the mic you just set it in front of the amp, its nice if you have some kind of mic stand.

the show is a battle of the bands sort of thing...i know i could be heard by myself but ill be competing with the drums, bass, and my rhythm guitarist is using a 120 watt amp compared to my 50 watt

in those sort of thing's like that, the house , the place your playing will provide the sound system. I think you will be alright with what you got. Cause in those kind of events. Its all up to the sound man to make you sound good. And if they don't really know you or your bands song than, he doesn't really know how to set things. I myself wouldn't waste my time with those kind of things. There's so many bands and what not, half of them wont even be together in a yr's time.

How old are you? Do you write orginal's or play covers?

okay I will have to take a listen. And your not old enough for the advice I would give, see me in like 3 yrs. LOL:D if your band survives that long.

For the most part, 50 Watts should probably get you heard over a bare drumset... however your rythm guitarist will need to turn down his equipment in order not to drown you out.

As suggested, if there is a sound system at the venue, you could probably get your amp mic'd into it.