tonedeaf

Guitar Pro 5.1 and Linux

tonedeaf    0

Is anyone using GP5.1 and Linux? I am trying to run it in Ubuntu and it does install but the instruments did not load so therefore it does not generate any sounds at all. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

John

PS: I am not sure if this thread belongs in this forum it may have to be moved.

Matty22    0

I have used GP5 (not 5.1) with ubuntu 6.06 before, with no dramas.

It was a bit sluggish to start, and load. But everything worked fine..

I used wine (windows emulator) to do it...

If Wine isnt already installed. Bring up a terminal

> sudo apt-get install wine

let it do its thang, and it should add wine into the "System Tools" Gnome window (assuming your using Gnome, im not sure about KDE or any others)..

From there you should be able to set up a "/wine/program files" etc and run the guitar pro install and it should pretty much work straight off the bat. But i havent used it for a while, since i swapped over to Bianca (linuxMint, ubuntu 6.10 base)

From within the wine settings, there should be options for sound/graphics emulation. perhaps there settings in there are causing you your problems...

Let me know and ill see if i can help if you still have troubles....

tonedeaf    0

Thanks for the reply Matty22, I really appreciate the response.

I tried exactly what you recommend in your post. I tried the 'sudo get install' and went through the options for audio setup in GP but to no avail.

What I did find was an old post in the Ubuntu forums that mentioned the MIDI files had to be setup first using 'timidity'. Here's part of the post:

Don't expect any sound at this stage, unless you have setup MIDI already.

5- Install timidity (which can also convert midi to wave on the fly which is what we need here)

sudo apt-get install timidity timidity-interfaces-extra

There's much more that I have to try and configure so I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks much again,

john

tonedeaf    0

Matty22,

I finally got the sound working. I had to follow the directions from the post I mentioned before and here is the link if you need more info: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=247869

All the steps work except the upgrade for timidity patches, that would be step 6. That web site no longer exists but I did find some other Gravis patches that might work as well. I'll be working on that next.

What the problem was that I did not have MIDI setup prior to launching GP5. There were some basic patches that had to be downloaded and installed.

What I did find out too is that when you reboot your computer you have to reload timidity and it's parameters. I wrote a very short script to launch them and the ALSA sequencer. I just have to next add in the GP5.exe command to the script to make it more complete.

But I have one final problem with all this, once you launch timidity and the ALSA sequencer the MIDI options have to be set in GP5 proper. By opening the Options tab and selecting the MIDI output specs for all four ports manually each time. I would like to find a way to pass these timidity parameters to GP5 in the shell script if possible or maybe in a separate script (ie pipe). I have to see if I can find the options for the timidity command.

So, that's kinda of where I am at.

Thanks,

John

Matty22    0

I havent seen or heard of benig able to pipe to an application within WINE....

Its not something silly, like the GP directory is read only? and consequently cant save the preferences? Im only guessing here though

tonedeaf    0

Mmmm, good point about the drive_c being read only. So, it might be a WINE limitation then? ]

But I just had a thought, when I was going through the documentation for GP5 there is one step during installation that it does ask for MIDI setup parameters. I'm guessing here but maybe I have to have the timidity and snd_seq running first before I install GP5. Just something else to try.

thanks

Matty22    0

Thats another good thought. Try reinstalling and leaving them running...

Cant say i had anywhere near the trouble you have had, with Bianca

tonedeaf    0

Bianca sounds interesting. I think it's debian/ubuntu based? I might have to give it a look see and give it a whirl. Good info, I'm signing off now and will keep you posted!

tonedeaf    0

Hey Matty22,

Well, after many reboots I got the MIDI and ALSA modules loaded at boot time. I placed the modules in the /etc/modules files and also had to edit the /etc/default/timidity file to uncomment the ALSA line to start it. Now GP5 starts with the MIDI timidity options and sound works automatically.

But, I found out that I can't print in GP5 right now. Has something to do with CUPS or editing the registry in WINE for the printer key. It's under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entries if I remember. It's always something! :yeahhh:

By the way I looked at the Mint Bianca web site and that looks pretty good. It's getting good reviews and it is gaining in popularity. Thanks the for the link.