Hey

Another easy question about scales

Thanks to you all for your input,i shall take it on board.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i think i have learnt more since being a member of this site, than i ever expected and it's thanks to people like yourselves.

It is very much appreciated.

Keith(blackcat)

Great advice. Maybe you should change your handle from solidwalnut to the walnutty professor (I mean that in a good way of course)...

Thanks Led, much appreciated. The Walnutty Professor has a definite geeky ring to it that I like!

But in all honesty, I loathe trying to learn chords as I find it hard enough to get my fingers into position just to play one simple chord; never mind switching from one chord to another. Some folks seem to be able to do this effortlessly. Me? I can run my fingers up and down the fretboard picking notes at a pretty good clip, but chords frustrate the hell out of me. It may also be why I'm leaning towards learning blues as most of the players seem to pick notes almost exclusively and rarely, if ever, play chords. I mean, I can't ever recall seeing BB King (or that many other bluesmen for that matter) actually playing a chord...

Yah, chords are more difficult to form than a single note or two, that's for sure. Well, you don't have to beat yourself over the head about it or anything like that. Although chords formations are important to learn, it doesn't mean you have to play them all the time if that's not your cup of tea. But, spending time learning about them and learning how to play them and adding them to your bag of tricks would be important.

Here's a quick breakdown of the chord formations to get a hold of, and then the rest will be 'icing on the cake':

• All CAGED chords (there'll be an upcoming complete lesson on all of this, but it's just not quite ready!) The layout of the fretboard is in five connected, moveable chord formations:

• C, A, G, E and D. The open chords themselves in the 'first position' (within the first three frets), and then realize that each one of these chords create the major moveable chord formations up the neck. Regardless of where you begin on the neck and no matter which formation you choose first, the formations are always linked in this order as they go up the fretboard.
    CAGED, AGEDC, GEDCA, EDCAG, DCAGE

.......1.......2.....3......4......5......6......7.......8......9......10.....11....12......13....14

E ||-----|----|--x-|----|-----|----|-----|--x--|-----|-----|----|--x--|----|----|

B ||--x--|----|----|----|--x--|----|-----|--x--|-----|-----|----|-----|--x-|----|

G ||-----|----|----|----|--x--|----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|----|--x--|----|----|

D ||-----|--x-|----|----|--x--|----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|----|-----|----|----|

A ||-----|----|--x-|----|-----|----|--x--|-----|-----|--x--|----|-----|----|----|

E ||-----|----|--x-|----|-----|----|-----|--x--|-----|-----|----|-----|----|----|

Just begin with the open C chord in the first three frets. All the rest of the chords shown that are connected to each other are the C chords that you find on the neck in each of these five formations.

To see how they're connected, take a look at this graphic:

cagedblue.gif

This graphic is from Kirk's lesson, Anatomy of a C Major Guitar Chord. This lesson does a great job explaining this idea.

Notice how the forms overlap, or are connected to each other, C, A, G, E and D. If you spend time seeing and feeling how these are connected, it will open many doors for you. You don't have to necessarily learn how to make each of these formations. As a matter of fact, you may only want to learn each of them in a partial formation. But regardless of what you decide about them, you'll want to understand this universal truth about fretboard theory.

And even BB knows this stuff, I can almost be sure. I suppose that many bluesman learning to play don't necessarily know this stuff, but you can bet that one of the best bluesmen out there, Eric Clapton, does!

This is how tones can be recognized by the guitarist. Hand in hand with a little scale theory and Plane Talk, you can learn to be a dangerous guitarist!

Steve