learning to pick

10W amps

are they any good? My dad is (finally :clap:) getting me an electric guitar from the argos book...it comes with a 10 watt amp how are they? Also does anyone have any advice for first time electric guitarists? How do they differ from Acoustics?

Thanks for reading!

:rockon:

krissovo    0

Steer clear of Argos guitars!!!!!

You would be much better off getting a cheap guitar from a shop that you can see the build quality and test it out beforehand. If you do get one get it setup by a pro first before you play it as some can be terrible! My first was an Argos Squire strat, it was very poor until I spent some money on the setup.

The amps are ok ish, you will soon get bored with the limited tone from them. You would be much better off getting a Roland micro cube or something as that has some nice effects.

Matty22    0

The 10 Watt practice amp that came with my first electric was the first thing to get replaced.

Then the guitar was replaced.. And i havent touched either of them since...

Just my two bobs worth

allthumbs    8

Little practice amps that come as part of a package deal are usually of poor quality. A good boutique 10 watt amp can run you 3 to 4 hundred bucks just to give you an idea. Get a cube or something with good reviews. Nothing wrong with a little cheapie 10 watt to learn your basics on but, there will come a time when you want to have some tone in your playing. That is when you will want to move up.

jon_stggt    0

I use a 10w amp and it's a superb bit of kit. The marshall MG10CD.

My guitar and amp were supplied by a local music store (Modern Music in Truro) and the service was superb, first class. Not only that, buying the guitar from Modern Music included free set up. If you buy a guitar mail order or from Argos etc and take the guitar to a music store to be set up you may well be charged upwards of £35.

Using local music stores has it's benefits in the long run, much more personal, you deal with people clued up on the item you are interested in, and the after sales is spot on.

I am of course going on my exprience of Modern Music in Truro, this may not be the case with all stores but sure to be better than the likes of Argos. And of course a music/guitar store I am sure will go all the way to equal or better the deal offered by general stores/mail order and often internet deals.

robotdevil    0

I think it really depends on the amp - I play on a 10W Peavey practice amp, and I think it sounds great. The built in distortion and reverb sucks, though, so you might wanna look into other options for effects.

scott58    0

I got a little 10W amp with the Esteban master class package i bought and I really like it. Was using a peavey 110fx for practicing with my Dean, but have been using the Esteban G-10 since I got it. More convenient to use and has a nice sound when you don't want to blow the windows out of the place.