Do you practice with a metronome?

Do you practice with a metronome?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you practice with a metronome?

• Yes
    • No
    • ....sometimes

Hilch    0

I have been practicing with a backing track ..Sorry I'll change that I was practicing with a backing track before my accident and before my computor crashed and Lost everything ..

I found a backing track is so much better and the beat of the drums makes me feel like I am actually playing ...

So no I don't I use to though

Stratrat    0

My vote goes to "sometimes", in that my Digitech Jamman has a tap-tempo rhythm track which I usually use when playing with the looper. Other than that I don't have a need for a metronome when playing to backing tracks or commercial songs.

Keidon    0

Whilst being a pain in the rear-end. I have persevered with one for long periods in practice time, earlier in life. And I must say working with a variety of speeds (not just the same speeds all the time) my playing skills became much sharper. After 6 months of it I could tell "if and when" a real drummer varied his speed, even by a few beats a minute. It certainly was worth the boring clicking sound.

It is certainly easier to play to a backing as I do a lot of too. But nothing like staying "in" with the metronome. For me it was a good recommendation of a great teacher I once had.

It's an individual thing though. You do whatever is best for you.

"Happy Clicking" - Keidon. Aust.

Stratrat    0
I don't want to bother you, but I can't find any jam tracks (...all backing tracks).

Can you give me some precise URL? Where did you find it?

Go to the "Downloads" page, then click on the category labeled "Jam Tracks" - there are 104 tracks listed there.

KGrob    0

I marked my response "yes" but that is not entirely true. I thought you were referring to "metronome" in a generic sense as in "to a beat" which might include some sort of background track whether it is a simple metronome, or percussion or bass or whatever.

Anyway, I normally practice with something making a beat whether it is a metronome or some other form of background beat/timekeeper.

triplec    0

New at this. I bought a digital metronome. The default speed is 100 beats. A friend told me that was too fast. I set it at 90 beats. What is the recommended time for practice?:dunno:

si16    10

If you're practising a song then set it to a similar tempo as the song. If you are practising scales, etc set it to a speed where you can play the piece perfectly every time (you might find this is very slow but don't worry about it). Once you can accurately play the piece at that tempo slowly increase the tempo by about 5 bpm and perfect it at that speed.

triplec    0
If you're practising a song then set it to a similar tempo as the song. If you are practising scales, etc set it to a speed where you can play the piece perfectly every time (you might find this is very slow but don't worry about it). Once you can accurately play the piece at that tempo slowly increase the tempo by about 5 bpm and perfect it at that speed.[/quote

Thank you for the advise, it sure helps me decide how to use the device.

KGrob    0
New at this. I bought a digital metronome. The default speed is 100 beats. A friend told me that was too fast. I set it at 90 beats. What is the recommended time for practice?:dunno:

I change the speed of my metronome all the time depending on what I'm doing.

Some songs are faster and some are slower than that (some are substantially faster).

My kids are learning to play guitar too. Sometimes I set the metronome at a much slower speed and have them practice changing chords and strumming to the beat.

New at this. I bought a digital metronome. The default speed is 100 beats. A friend told me that was too fast. I set it at 90 beats. What is the recommended time for practice?:dunno:[/quote

Hey triplec, I'm new here and by no means should be concidered any kind of a teacher, but I've always used alternating tempo speeds just for the fact that everything has its own tempo, much better imo to learn to play at different speeds than to be locked into only 1 or 2 . start with something slow than play it again at a quicker tempo and continue this back and forth until your comfortable at any speed. Just my thoughts:smilinguitar: