- - - - -

Can you shred?

68 replies to this topic

Poll: Can you shred? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

Can you shred?

1. Yes (13 votes [16.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.46%

2. No (66 votes [83.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 83.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   cossack

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 39 posts
  • Joined 04-April 07

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

please explain shredding means, is it full on heavy metal fast?
i am just an old slide blues player in my comfort zone= slow

#42 OFFLINE   cossack

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 39 posts
  • Joined 04-April 07

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

ok i posted then read the meaning of shred oops!
whilst banging my head is not my scene, i can certainly appreciate the skill needed.
pursue your passion

#43 OFFLINE   Foxxeh

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 03-June 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:06 PM

whats shreddin
jus playin like fast stuff :)?
like bullet style??
hopes to one day get good enough to start a band =]

#44 OFFLINE   Foxxeh

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 03-June 07

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:07 PM

reads definition
so i say no
not yet
:P
want to
its the style i like
to be able to play like that
recently learnt hand of blood though
well proud =]
hopes to one day get good enough to start a band =]

#45 OFFLINE   Europa

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 08-February 07

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

I love metal and shredding, but no I can't shred. I get bored alot of times with very slow solo's and stuff, but I wouldn't want to limit my playing to just shredding. I usually do a bit of both, but I wouldnt call myself a shredder. :)
I miss the comfort in being sad

#46 OFFLINE   scrappydidnt

• Active Members
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 31-March 07

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

lol I dunno that there is alot of call for shredding in my genre of music. I play the blues lol with the blues its more a question of quality the quantity. I mean you could know alla your scales and be good enuff to run em in a matter of seconds, but it just wouldnt be able the convey the emotion that B.B. does in a run 4 or 5 notes. It's not always about speed. lol Was just thinking that it ain't always good to be too fast in other things but since it is a forum with younger members i digress. :winkthumb:
All God's children got the Blues

#47 OFFLINE   fly135

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 2,512 posts
  • Joined 14-February 06

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

I'd like to learn the technique but in general that style of music doesn't speak to me. However, I would consider Allan Holdsworth one of the original shredders back before the term was used, and I found his style to be quite melodic.

#48 OFFLINE   jackmonroe

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 27-May 07

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Nope!

#49 OFFLINE   __tsidewinder__

• Active Members
  • 334 posts
  • Joined 16-October 06

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

YouTube - Guitar Shreddin The ULTIMATE LESSON, Part 1

I'd be careful learning from this guy. It seems his own technique isn't all that desirable as a whole, and he's trying to teach you to play as he does. Perhaps thats just my opinion.

There is one guy who talked about speed development, Justin sandercroe. It goes like this:

"Why develop your technique?
Now I am no shredder. Lets just be clear about this. I can't play 1000 notes a second. I'm not really interested. I was 10 years ago, I loved to play fast - but never at the expense of a melody. What I do think is really important is developing your technique to a higher level than where you need (want) to play. I can play faster than I want to. And that's enough for me.

Lets assume that you want to play kinda Dave Gilmore style solos. Now he don't play that fast, but it's really smooth and fluent sounding. He's playing within his technical ability. If you are pushing your technique to the limit your playing will never sound smooth or cool, and you will make mistakes. Better to be playing within your limits and sounding good, having to time to plan ahead a little, leave some gaps to breath. Playing within your limits will let you work on more expressive outlets such as dynamics, touch and phrasing. Much more important than playing lots of notes. In my humble opinion.

That said, if you want to play full on metal, jazz or fusion, you had better push yourself to the max or it will sound lame. So the above discussion is aimed at the 'general player' not the technical monster!"

justinguitar.com - Technique Exercises
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

-John Lennon

#50 OFFLINE   Michael_Lee

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 10-June 07

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

LOL Ok I will admit it...

One thing some may not think about tho, in the Metal days if you didn't know how to shred you didn't get many gigs that paid well.

Call me a sell out but, if its Learn to shred vs working at Mcdonalds im going to learn to shred, And I did. I also never had to work at mcdonald's :smilinguitar:

We did everything from vai to metallica to what ever paid and kept fingers moving.

Now that Im older I try and not hurt my tendons when I don't have to. I can probably do it if I got in shape but I have found over the years that BB King says as much on one note as I did on 1500 so I spent alot if years learning BB as well as shred so I retain as good a mix as I can 8)

Good points to both in my book.

:yeahhh:

as to how much I practiced.... hmm I remember a GF mad because I loved the guitar more than her .... When I asnwered "so what part don't you understand " It must not have been the answer she was after.
Your just upset because the voices won't talk to you !

#51 OFFLINE   6string

• Active Members
  • 4,049 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

A good name for a shred band would be Fawn Hall
Deja Moo: The feeling that you’ve heard this bull before.

#52 OFFLINE   raybaro

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
  • Joined 20-May 06

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

i like to shred but of course i am no where near my heros (marty friedman, petrucci, malmsteen) in my solos i rather go for melody and shred in between

#53 OFFLINE   malcolm mcwhirter

• Active Members
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 17-June 06

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

:crying2: no but would love 2 have shredded a few tears cause I cant do it:crying2:

#54 OFFLINE   mrshred123

• Active Members
  • 70 posts
  • Joined 22-July 06

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:19 AM

yes , but i never practice i just play along to songs n i developed that way, but now i realize how to incorporate into music compared to just fretboard wankery

#55 OFFLINE   Ian McAllister

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,167 posts
  • Joined 23-December 07

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

I can play pretty fast, but I don't think that's the same as shredding. I'm still stuck in the minor pentatonic scale I learned from a friend in school about 35 years ago, and just weedle about. I'd love to do that sweep picking thingy, and if I could only play like Steve Morse I'd be a happy man,(hang on, I work 20 hours a week for 10 times the money that my assistant gets, have 1000 kids who think I'm the coolest, have nice gear, good food and live in a place where beer costs only
15 (euro)cents a can...I guess I am happy).
Ian

#56 OFFLINE   doug russell

Grand Member

• Active Members

• 1,222 posts
  • Joined 04-February 06

Posted 12 February 2008 - 05:56 AM

Nah not for me. But got to admire the speed merchants. NOT!:thumbdown
Now when I talk to God he said he'd understand, Stick by me I'll be your guiding hand. But don't ask me what I think of you. I might not give the answer you want me to.

#57 OFFLINE   gasbag

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 437 posts
  • Joined 31-January 08

Posted 13 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

No I can't but I don't have any interest in doing so. I much prefer a slower melodic song, usually finger picked, that makes me smile. Way too frenetic for me. It sounds like someone just found a guitar and are trying to play all the notes at once. This of course is just my personal taste. For those who like it, go for it.

#58 OFFLINE   7stringshredking

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 04-July 08

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think that it's funny that Joe Satriani is mentioned when it comes to shear shred. He is a great player but a slopfest when it comes to shredding and practically nothing when compared to Guthrie Govan and others.. Same goes for dragonforce.. ssssslop! For true clean shred check out Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, Malmsteen, Moore, Pettruci, McAlpine, Howe, and some dude named Ilan Askenazi that's got some serious skill

#59 OFFLINE   JessThrasher

Grand Member

• Active Members
  • 1,538 posts
  • Joined 23-February 07

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

I just wish more than anything I could shred. I want to live up to my username!!! I'm learning jazz, and it seems to help. But still despite so many attempts I CAN"T DO IT!

I'll stick ot ripping the cabbage for now...
"Remember to eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends." - Rusty Cooley
"You can't play an instrument for the technicality of it. It's a tool you use it to get what's in here and here [heart and mind] out there." - Marten Hagstrom, Meshuggah

#60 OFFLINE   7stringshredking

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 04-July 08

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:54 PM

"Ilan Ashkenazi" had that spelled wrong. Here is a good example of the highest level of shredding by this dude.

YouTube - INSANE SPEED GUITAR

It's like yngwie on speed lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users