marinoFret

Can you shred?

Can you shred?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can you shred?

i like to shred but of course i am no where near my heros (marty friedman, petrucci, malmsteen) in my solos i rather go for melody and shred in between

I can play pretty fast, but I don't think that's the same as shredding. I'm still stuck in the minor pentatonic scale I learned from a friend in school about 35 years ago, and just weedle about. I'd love to do that sweep picking thingy, and if I could only play like Steve Morse I'd be a happy man,(hang on, I work 20 hours a week for 10 times the money that my assistant gets, have 1000 kids who think I'm the coolest, have nice gear, good food and live in a place where beer costs only

15 (euro)cents a can...I guess I am happy).

Ian

No I can't but I don't have any interest in doing so. I much prefer a slower melodic song, usually finger picked, that makes me smile. Way too frenetic for me. It sounds like someone just found a guitar and are trying to play all the notes at once. This of course is just my personal taste. For those who like it, go for it.

I think that it's funny that Joe Satriani is mentioned when it comes to shear shred. He is a great player but a slopfest when it comes to shredding and practically nothing when compared to Guthrie Govan and others.. Same goes for dragonforce.. ssssslop! For true clean shred check out Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, Malmsteen, Moore, Pettruci, McAlpine, Howe, and some dude named Ilan Askenazi that's got some serious skill

I just wish more than anything I could shred. I want to live up to my username!!! I'm learning jazz, and it seems to help. But still despite so many attempts I CAN"T DO IT!

I'll stick ot ripping the cabbage for now...

I wish I was capable of playing as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen (sp?) does. Then I could play slow by choice instead of necessity.

LOL....just like my sig at the bottom of my posts says! :yes:

|

|

|

V

Meh as a jazz/metal/metalcore/blues girl. I do want to know how to shred. Have you ever considered that jazz and blues soloing were origins of shred?

lol, have you ever considered that blues and jazz are the origins of rock and metal? Shred is just playing blues scales and licks very fast, over and over again. Thats just boring. Just like a guitar solo in a rocksong are blues scales and licks played faster than the average riff.

The difference between both is that a solo is a short climax of a whole built up song, while shredding is just wanking on and on.

"while shredding is just wanking on and on."

Nah. Thats an opinion not a fact, and irrelevant in an arguement.

You can't really find a formal, factual definition of what "shredding" actually is. I think we can agree it involves playing fast. The actual length of time that you play fast however, doesn't change the fact that you are playing fast. So a short, fast passage is still, inarguably, a passage that requires "shredding". And theres nothing wrong with a short fast passage in a song for exitement. In fact its usually great to have.

And for many, well worth practicing to gain the ability to play fast. The idea that playing fast is somehow wrong, or boring, is silly. You can overdo it, and many do. But you can overdo almost anything. The fact that some abuse their ability to shred does not make shredding useless, or ubiquitously boring.

"I wish I was capable of playing as fast as Yngwie Malmsteen (sp?) does. Then I could play slow by choice instead of necessity."

May I ask why? The only reason I can think of is that some may feel not playing fast is somehow more humble, or noble.

And that idea doesn't really fly. Handicapping your abilties in an effort to remain humble simply prevents you from doing great things.