marinoFret

Can you shred?

Can you shred?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Can you shred?

not to be too cold hearted ......

----------------------------------------

shred

noun, verb, shred·ded or shred, shred·ding.

–noun

1. a piece cut or torn off, esp. in a narrow strip.

2. a bit; scrap: We haven't got a shred of evidence.

–verb (used with object)

3. to cut or tear into small pieces, esp. small strips; reduce to shreds.

–verb (used without object)

4. to be cut up, torn, etc.: The blouse had shredded.

----------------------------------------------------------

So did to "Shred" maybe come from the effect of the strings on the fingers ? or maybe the first shredder just worked in a Taco joint:winkthumb:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HGE0va4mBZ4&mode=related&search=

This dude has some good teaching how to shred vids on youtube. This is the first of four (the rest are on the right hand side). The key is sweep and alternate picking.

I can kind of shred but sometimes my pick hand goes too fast and I get some glorified tremolo picking. This guy's videos have helped a ton.

That looked like some good information, I can't wait to try some of this technique. Is that the proper way to hold a pick?

I'm completely self taught but most people i've seen who have teachers don't hold it like that. It probably is the correct way to hold the pick for shredders. You end up having a lot more control over the pick that way. I have no clue how he uses a 3m pick though.. I have one of those and it just gets annoying. I would reccomend fender heavy's instead.

The technique he uses for learning solos quickly in the 2nd video is really helpful. Playing each note at the same BPM but alternate picking each note 2-4-and 8 times really helps you get the finger speed down. :winkthumb:

Thanks PPE,

I have looked at the first video but haven't had the opportunity to see the others and that hand position didn't look like what I have seen and not what I use (although I don't use a pick very often due to lack of control). I plan to try and see if it helps.

I putted yes cuz, I love tos shred, and I once checked with a beat machine howe many notes I could play, and it was 8 notes a second, and with tapping 10 notes a second:yeahhh:

Thats a No for me too...

Really dont have that much interest in doing so either. I would much rather play a slow melodic solo, than a barrage of so many notes that you dont have time to listen to them..

But thats just me

Sorry, but here again this is opinion. Just because you can't "listen" to them, doesn't mean there aren't many other peolpe who find alot of melody/harmony/feel in such solos.

Look, I'm going to be honest with you. You will find many so called "feel" players who will down rate "shred" guitar saying that it isn't melodic or its to fast etc etc...

The fact is, IMHO to make a fast melodic solo is an acomplishment, not a hack. Just because something is slow doesn't make it melodic or have "feeling" to it... just like something fast isn't always melodic with feeling. I would say Stevie Ray Vaughan plays VERY fast at times with TONS of feel and melody, but so does Joe Satriani! They just play different, but both have mastered the guitar enough to play extremely fast with feel and melody.

It takes practice practice practice to get to shred speed, AND EVEN MORE PRACTICE TO MAKE IT HAVE GOOD FEEL AND MELODY. Just because you can play at 200bmp doesn't mean it sounds good!

You just have to practice the basic picking and fingering excercises until you can play them at 200bmp. I'll be having a series about this and how to make such solos melodic and have feeling.

For proof that music can be played really fast and have melody and feeling, then just listen to CLASSICAL music! Where does flight of the bumblebee come from?

What about Flamenco guitar? Those guys are blazing fast!

I guess classical and flamenco have no feeling or melody? Right... and Steve Vai plays the flute. :smilinguitar:

YES I CAN SHRED.

Theres nothing wrong with playing shred style guitar. Paul Gilbert explain this better than me. Here it goes:

If you are a guitar Player:

Shred guitar prresents one deadly conflict that all shredders must resolve in their own manner. This is the fact that the goal of shredding is to play guitar with ferocious speed, deadly accuracy, piercing tone and crushing intensity. But in order to acomplish these goals, must use small, delicate, controlled and patiently honed motions that are generated from one´s wee fingers.

I want to demonstarte the reality of this conflict. Picture in your mind the late 80´s heavy metal guitarists: tight leather pants, chrome chains, skulls, pointy electric guitars. Only the guitar strap is pulled up to baby-bib, jazz guitar height. If guitar posing was a hairstyle, this would be the mullet. Is shred guitar doomed to the cultural shame and ridicule of the mullet? Only time and the new generation of shredders will tell. But among the fashion chaos those ferocious notes will continue to provide a fantastic, face-melting soundtrack.

If you are a litener:

Do you ever just get a little bit bored of comfortably numb by Pink Floyd and its perfect guitar solo? Sure, its perfect. It´s melodic. It fits the song. It makes you say, "Ooh...ahhh...that´s smooth!" But it does not make you jump out of your seat, stick your head into the speaker, and say, "HOLY SH/%&%&!!!! WHO PLAYED THAT SOLO!?"

And the best stuff by Van Halen, Yngwie Malmsteen and Dream Theater will do just that. A glorious shot of adrenaline is yours every time some high quality shred is in your ears. Seek it out and enjoy the shred!

If you are a Parent, Friend, Teacher or Bandmember:

Forget it. Once he/she has gotten into shred there is no cure. On the surface, your love one may be patient, obedient and willing to compromise. But on the inside, deep within the soul, the spirit of shred will grow until one day they will stand upon a lighted stage and play 16th note triplets with such clarity, skill and mightiness that all who behold will gaze in awe and say, "look how low their strap is! I can´t beliebe they can still Shred!"

FOR ME:

My serious definition of shred is simply this:

Shred is the attempt to play your guitar very, very, very, very well.

Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, but not as a hobby, not casually, not as a background music. To SHRED is to love the SUPREME beauty that is the electric guitar and give it all you´ve got because what could be more fun than playing your electric guitar?!

Now go out there and change the world, you future shred gods!!!

Paul Gilbert"

For GT :)

For me is not just shred. The fact that you can actually play shred tells you a lot of stuff. The 1st one, the fact that you are now ABLE to play WHATEVER YOU WANT IN GUITAR.

Many guys in this forum asked me constantly how many songs i know to play cause i recorded so much stuff and fast. I swear you guys, most of the stuff i upload is songs that i wanted to play and most of them i NEVER played before. So for me it gives me the ability to play whats on my head and transpose it to the guitar.

The SKILLS to play WHAT I WANT. Its so horrible to wish and moan about a song and cant be able to reproduce it yourself on the freetboard.

So, stop making ridicule arguments about why you dont want to get better on guitar. If you love the instrument give it the respect it deserves. Practice and then, one day, youll become a higher musician that can play whatever he wants....... and yeah.... even shred too. GT

ok i posted then read the meaning of shred oops!

whilst banging my head is not my scene, i can certainly appreciate the skill needed.

pursue your passion

reads definition

so i say no

not yet

:P

want to

its the style i like

to be able to play like that

recently learnt hand of blood though

well proud =]

I love metal and shredding, but no I can't shred. I get bored alot of times with very slow solo's and stuff, but I wouldn't want to limit my playing to just shredding. I usually do a bit of both, but I wouldnt call myself a shredder. :)

lol I dunno that there is alot of call for shredding in my genre of music. I play the blues lol with the blues its more a question of quality the quantity. I mean you could know alla your scales and be good enuff to run em in a matter of seconds, but it just wouldnt be able the convey the emotion that B.B. does in a run 4 or 5 notes. It's not always about speed. lol Was just thinking that it ain't always good to be too fast in other things but since it is a forum with younger members i digress. :winkthumb:

I'd like to learn the technique but in general that style of music doesn't speak to me. However, I would consider Allan Holdsworth one of the original shredders back before the term was used, and I found his style to be quite melodic.

YouTube - Guitar Shreddin The ULTIMATE LESSON, Part 1

I'd be careful learning from this guy. It seems his own technique isn't all that desirable as a whole, and he's trying to teach you to play as he does. Perhaps thats just my opinion.

There is one guy who talked about speed development, Justin sandercroe. It goes like this:

"Why develop your technique?

Now I am no shredder. Lets just be clear about this. I can't play 1000 notes a second. I'm not really interested. I was 10 years ago, I loved to play fast - but never at the expense of a melody. What I do think is really important is developing your technique to a higher level than where you need (want) to play. I can play faster than I want to. And that's enough for me.

Lets assume that you want to play kinda Dave Gilmore style solos. Now he don't play that fast, but it's really smooth and fluent sounding. He's playing within his technical ability. If you are pushing your technique to the limit your playing will never sound smooth or cool, and you will make mistakes. Better to be playing within your limits and sounding good, having to time to plan ahead a little, leave some gaps to breath. Playing within your limits will let you work on more expressive outlets such as dynamics, touch and phrasing. Much more important than playing lots of notes. In my humble opinion.

That said, if you want to play full on metal, jazz or fusion, you had better push yourself to the max or it will sound lame. So the above discussion is aimed at the 'general player' not the technical monster!"

justinguitar.com - Technique Exercises

LOL Ok I will admit it...

One thing some may not think about tho, in the Metal days if you didn't know how to shred you didn't get many gigs that paid well.

Call me a sell out but, if its Learn to shred vs working at Mcdonalds im going to learn to shred, And I did. I also never had to work at mcdonald's :smilinguitar:

We did everything from vai to metallica to what ever paid and kept fingers moving.

Now that Im older I try and not hurt my tendons when I don't have to. I can probably do it if I got in shape but I have found over the years that BB King says as much on one note as I did on 1500 so I spent alot if years learning BB as well as shred so I retain as good a mix as I can 8)

Good points to both in my book.

:yeahhh:

as to how much I practiced.... hmm I remember a GF mad because I loved the guitar more than her .... When I asnwered "so what part don't you understand " It must not have been the answer she was after.