sublime90

weird noise on only 1 fret

just got an electric and i noticed the 1st E string, 2nd fret makes a weird tamborine noise sometimes, sounds like a dead string. but the 3rd and so on are all fine. just at the 2nd fret i get a realllly weird noise, is there anything i can do to fix that?

I had the exact same problem when I just bought an electric. With me, the reason was that the strings that come on it are of very bad quality. Replacin the strings should solve the prob. If not, check back here :winkthumb:

you know what i was actually going to just ask if its the crappy strings because my 6th string the big (E) feels really sloppy and loose and sounds weird. im deffintly replacing the strings. thanks

Hmm strange. :dunno:

My advice would be to take it back to wherever you got it.

Don't let them tell you its "normal", bcuz its certainly not. If its adjusted and its still a problem, I would ask to get a new guitar. For me it was just the strings bcuz all other guitars like it had exactly the same.

Good Luck with it :winkthumb:

im still going to try to make some adjustments though, when i press the string (2nd fret) up towards the other strings it sounds like its suppose to. but when i just press it normal it gets weird and bad

Sounds like maybe the third fret is raised on the high E side so fretting the 2nd fret is causing the string to make contact with the third fret.

Bending it may be pulling the string away from the high spot.

Wayne

wow i just looked and your absolutely right....when i press down the 2nd fret the string is still resting down on the 3rd fret wich is why i get the noise, how would i go about fixing that?

Same thing happened to me once. It was driving me nuts!

I had a strange buuzzz vibration sound effect @ fret 3 on the D string.

I turned my guitar upside down and shook it expecting some debris to come out.

Nope!

Then I thought that the design on the bridge board was kind of loose on the edges and vibrating, so I put a little white glue on both edges.

And STILL!

It turned out that the BOTTOM side of my D string was worn at fret #3.

(That is why that buuzzz sounded ONLY on that fret)

When I replaced the string it went away.

i emailed the place i bought it from and this was there response

"It sounds like all your guitar needs is an intonation adjustment"

no idea what there referring to but i do know the problem is the string rests on the 3rd fret while i press the 2nd gotta figure out how make it so it doesnt rest on it

If it's a new guitar, let them fix it. Using the truss rod to provide some neck relief and/or raising the action a bit will probably help, but if it's only that one spot and you are happy with the action everywhere else, I'd think you might have a fret lifting or at least one in need of some dressing.

Duh! Jumped in on the end of the thread and didn't realise that Teddy Madison had already given you the answer on page one. Only thing I would add is that correcting a high fret can be anything from a quick tap and/or dressing with a very fine stone, to pulling the offending fret out and replacing it. If it's the later, you might want to think about getting a reputable tech to do it.

I would first check to see why it is that way; is the fret separating from the neck, is there an imperfection in the fret, is the a problem with the neck. I'm thinking the bridge is OK or you would have the same issue fretting the first fret.

I'll leave it to the more experienced do-it-yourselfers to provide direction in how to correct it. My guess is it's not something you would want to try on your own with the exception of the fret being lifted. For that you could put a piece of soft pine over it and tap it to see if it goes back down. Or use a robber mallet.

Wayne

well i tried everything and still no luck, i just bought the thing and shouldnt really have to dealing with all this trouble so im just going to call up there number and get a refund. thanks for all the help