Hey

Help on scales

Hey    0

Well, Im planning to stop useing tabs and such and Im wanting to just learn a bunch of chords and sclales and do it the healthy way, and only use tabs when I really, really want to learn a song the right way(tell me if I'm doing things wrong... I want to train my ear more)

Anyway...

Ok, I have a book called "the advanced guitar case scale book"(and trust me, im not advance on music thero) but anyway, it has all the basic scales( plus some cool exotic ones), your pentatonic, diminished, etc. all tabbed out but does a terrible job of exsplaining things.

It talks about moveable scales,(moveable major scales to be specific) how you can move them up the thret. First of all, is there such thing as a movable minor sclale? for there is like no minor scales shown in this book.

But my main question is, can you move any scale up the threat if you follow the same pattern? if you can, someone give me some examples. Also, everyong talks about the pentatonic scales being important to learn, but there only like 5 notes on the first couple of threats. Can you move these up? can someone show me a secend position pentatonic scale?

This might be asking a lot, but Im really lost here and have tryed to find a helpful site but failed. Any help would be great.

Thanks.:)

Fretsource    3

Hi Hey. All scales (and all chords) are moveable up the fretboard. You just start further up and play the same shape. i.e, move the same fingers by the same number of frets on the same strings. If the original has open strings - then they will be fretted when you move up.

Hey    0

I love you Fretsource, that basicly cleared up everything but one thing.

I always heard that when you move a scale up one pattern, like first thret to 2end, the key changes. lets say that if you playing a song, and you want to do a little imporvision up the threat on, lets say, a E chord... I cant really exsplain it, but man, my head is hurting but by the end of today, I think its going to be a big break through for me.

Fretsource    3

Yes Hey - the key will change if you move a scale shape up the fretboard. If you shift EVERY NOTE of an A minor pentatonic scale up two frets, it will become B minor pentatonic. Same with chords. If you shift EVERY NOTE of an A minor chord up two frets (including any open strings), it will become a B minor chord.

But when you talk about moving up the fretboard to improvise while an E chord is being played, That's different. You don't want to change key or chord in that case or you risk a horrendous clash between the old chord and the new one. On behalf of your listeners, I request one chord at a time, please;) .

So by all means move up the fretboard to improvise over an E chord, but don't drag up shapes from down below - because they won't be E based up there. You want to move up the fretboard and hit notes that still belong to the E major chord - or at least relate to it in some way. That means moving up to new shapes.

Hey    0

All right, I think I get it.:claping: :claping: :claping:

Thats all the info I think I need now, now I guess I just have to learn a lot of scales and shapes and know my way around the threat board and such. Thanks a ton:)

Stratrat    0
I think you should consider buying some book that explains things WELL.

*cough*PlaneTalk*cough* :yes:

The scale confusion becomes a thing of the past. It explains theory better and more simply than I've EVER seen it explained anywhere else.

Ledhead V-2    0
All right, I think I get it.:claping: :claping: :claping:

Thats all the info I think I need now, now I guess I just have to learn a lot of scales and shapes and know my way around the threat board and such. Thanks a ton:)

"Threat board"? Uh...ya think you just might be going into this with the wrong attitude?

kid'n is all... :wink: Pay no attention to me; just pay heed to the excellent advice offered here.

tina_    0

... anyone got tabs to C major on all positions on the fretboard? I think I've worked it out. I've got the notes but its possible I'm starting at the wrong place or going the wrong way up/down on a couple of positions.

Well - I'm not sure about any but the 5th fret/A minor position and c major/8th fret start position.