drabbag

Ready to record Acoustic... few questions

drabbag    0

I have read through here a few times and Im still a little unclear on what exactly I will need to record onto my PC. One thing that Im sure of is that I'll need a Mic (suggested Shure SM57) and most likely an adapter from 1/4 to 1/8 to step into the sound card. But when I went to the local music store they said I would also need a box to convert the sound from analog to digital. I havent heard you guys mention this at all in these past threads.

Can I just use a mic and free program available online? Will this allow me to put the sound into mp3 so that I can post it up for you guys to hear?

Thanks for looking

Chris

allthumbs    8
I have read through here a few times and Im still a little unclear on what exactly I will need to record onto my PC. One thing that Im sure of is that I'll need a Mic (suggested Shure SM57) and most likely an adapter from 1/4 to 1/8 to step into the sound card. But when I went to the local music store they said I would also need a box to convert the sound from analog to digital. I havent heard you guys mention this at all in these past threads.

Can I just use a mic and free program available online? Will this allow me to put the sound into mp3 so that I can post it up for you guys to hear?

Thanks for looking

Chris

As far as I know it will. I haven't heard of switching analog to digital. Maybe that is something pros do. Your mike,soundcard and Audacity or multi studio etc is all you need to get going.

missileman    0

Your sound card is an analog digital converter.

I am not real shure how well that mic will work strait into a sound card though.

You may want to try a good PC mic instead.

si16    10

Both of the recordings I made to the recording booth

here:- http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276

and here:- http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982

(These have been included here for ease of access and not in the name of shameless self-promotion)

were made in a very basic fashion. I simply took a basic PC mic, stuck it in the soundhole and recorded using the software that came with the soundcard. I then converted the file to mp3 format. Have a listen and judge the sound quality for yourself. If you're not impressed then you'll probably have to look at some of the other suggestions made. If you do go this way take care with the recording level. Too low and you won't hear much, too high and the sound card can't deal with it. I found that 80-85% was about right.

Good luck,

Simon

Kirk Lorange    128
These have been included here for ease of access and not in the name of shameless self-promotion)

Oh go on Simon, promote yourself shamelessly! We don't mind :) Perfectly acceptable!

drabbag    0

I played around last night with a mic directly into the sound card and the volume was pretty low. I couldnt figure out how to increase the recording volume. And the files are in wav format. How can I convert these to mp3 and also is there a site you guys use to host the files>

si16    10

The software you use to record normally has an option available to increase recording volume, although you may have to look for it (perhaps hidden in tools or preferences). If it doesn't have this option you could perhaps try another program. Many people here recommend the free program audacity- http://audacity.sourceforge.net

There are lots of wav to mp3 converters on the Internet but many have strings attached. One I use which is very basic but does the job is called wave@mp3. Just google for it.

To host the files I just put them in the recording booth on this site - http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31. Just start a new thread in the recording booth and click on the manage attachments button near the bottom of the page to upload your file.

Keep at it Chris as it's always good to hear the fruits of other forum members labours.

Simon

allthumbs    8

Cheetha audio converter is free and one of the easiest I have found. Go to your control panel and click audio devices. Click volume then adjust the mike slider as high as it can go. Record to audacity or multitrack studio where you can also adjust the volume also.

LarryKu    0

In addition to what AllThumbs has advised about the volume slider, click the "Advanced" button beneath the volume slider and check mark the Microphone +20db boost.

MCH    0

Here is a quote that generally is true:

"One of the basic tips is to avoid the mic input on the standard soundcards in PC´.

They normally are very bad and don´t work with good microphones.

Use the line input with an external mixer or pre-amp."

Mixers can be had varily inexpensive; Behringer makes some nice budget ones. The route I've decided on is 2 microphones (Audio Technica: AT 2020 and AT 2021- $200 CAD), Behringer UB802 mixer - $80 CAD and the free Audacity and Kristal software.

Your 57 is a low z mic and your mic input on your sound card is high z. Get some kind of break out box like an M-Audio Omni Studio or a small mixer. With a small mixer you plug whatever you want into the channels and take your left out and right out and convert/adapt that to a stereo Y that can plug into the aux in on your sound card.