1. 1. What do you know?

• Minor Pentatonic
    • Major Pentatonic
    • Both Pentatonics
    • Major Scale
    • Minor Scale
    • Both Major and Minor Scales
    • Both Major and Minor and Pentatonic scales
    • Maj, min, Penta, and others (dorian, etc.)

DavidP    0

I suppose that I know them all but not very well. I don't use any of them. About the time I started trying to learn and understand all the scales and modes, I found Kirk's Plane Talk. It eliminated the need to memorize all of that stuff.

missileman    0

I pretty much know them all myself but only really use major scales for the purpose of chord structure.

I did play around with some pentatonic scales for some improv soloing but it is not something I really do much.

Learn major scales, all other scales are derived from the major scales.

Alfcarguy    0

I think he left some out like the natural minor scale, blues scale, harmonic minor scale,melodic minor scale,whole tone scale, exotic scales- Ehglimatic, Hirajoshi,Kumor, Oriental, Pelog,Kokin Joshi, P'yongio, Iwato,Cinese, Japansese, Egyptian,Scriabin,Hungarian,Gypsy,Hungarian Major,Romanian,Persian,Hindustan,Neopolitan Minor,Neopolitan Major,Overtone,Prometheus, Ritusen,Arabian Scale

Okay I am just jacking with you but those are real scales:D

WernHalen    0

I use the major and minor Pentatonics, blues scales major scale (and other derivatives like dorian etc., but unknowingly) <-This is a story for another day... I am starting to study up the minor melodic scales. Its all well to know the scales but using them is antoher story.

i am interrested in getting myself the PT book. Maybe that will negate my need to learn the scales???

Andy S    9

"Neopolitan Minor,Neopolitan Major"

I prefer the Neopolitan Minor myself. It is usually done with less of the Strawberry flavor. The Major has equal amounts of all three flavors.........

This IS what you were referrin to ...isn't it?:confused:

Jean    0
i know the pentatonic, minor, major, and blues scales...gotta convince my parents to let me buy plane talk so i can see what everyone else is talking about.

I know what you mean! My dad doesnt want to buy anout "miracle" guitar teaching course, but I know that plane talk will work, seeing how well Kirks free lessons work!

I think he left some out like the natural minor scale, blues scale, harmonic minor scale,melodic minor scale,whole tone scale, exotic scales- Ehglimatic, Hirajoshi,Kumor, Oriental, Pelog,Kokin Joshi, P'yongio, Iwato,Cinese, Japansese, Egyptian,Scriabin,Hungarian,Gypsy,Hungarian Major,Romanian,Persian,Hindustan,Neopolitan Minor,Neopolitan Major,Overtone,Prometheus, Ritusen,Arabian Scale

Okay I am just jacking with you but those are real scales:D

lol

to name a few yes those are some....but there are million of scales,all with weird names:mad: (who makes this **** up??)

but there is a better way to do scales

MAKE UR OWN

fiddle around find out which notes u seem to like alot and go smoothly

and then just map those notes out on the guitar and play like any other scale

this way u'll b playin sumtin tht fits ur type of music and what sound u want

CHEERS!:thumbup1:

Ledhead V-2    0
Same thing as Dave. Never could get a handle on scales. Glad I left em behind.
I've been wondering about the importance of scales myself. I hear tell quite a few guitar gods swear by them (Page and Santana, to name just two off the top of my head) and practice them as a matter of routine. From what I gather, they're good starting points when soloing. Also, they seem relatively easy to do. Then again, I'm a mere beginner so what do I know?!

Bob

allthumbs    8
I've been wondering about the importance of scales myself. I hear tell quite a few guitar gods swear by them (Page and Santana, to name just two off the top of my head) and practice them as a matter of routine. From what I gather, they're good starting points when soloing. Also, they seem relatively easy to do. Then again, I'm a mere beginner so what do I know?!

Bob

Nothing wrong with learning scales "in context". What I mean is as Nelsonite says think of scales as embedded in a matrix of notes rather than as linear movement. The players who use scales melodically can do so because they are also playing notes that surround the scale.

You play what you practice so if you spend all your time running up and down scales,that is what you will play. When learning scales,in my opinion, you should put equal time into the notes surrounding the scales so that you have more freedom of tonal movement and don't get locked into fixed patterns.