mkenn

Telecaster

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a secondhand Telecaster (copy). I already have an Ibanez electric.

Could anyone tell me what they think off the Telecaster type and the type of music they suit best, e.g. blues, rock, country etc.

Thanks

Michael

Teles are an aquired taste. They are very bright and are judged by their twang factor. Country players love them. You either love teles or you hate them, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. They won't cut it for hard rock unless you heavily mod (modify) them with custom pups (pickups) pedals and amp settings. They have been refered to as a one trick pony since they have so few tonal flavours in the opinion of a lot of players. A friend of mine that plays pro can do almost anything with his,but he started with a custom tele and modded it heavily. My advice would be to listen to players who use teles and play a couple yourself to compare them to other guitars. If you like the sound, they are a good guitar and can be had in all price ranges. You should be able to find a ton of them on ebay.BTW Keith Richards of the Stones plays a tele or did,not sure now. He is the only rock guy I know who does though teles seem to be showing up more in pop groups more in the last couple of years. This is a hot button. You get a group of players together talking about the pros and cons of teles and watch the sparks fly.

Thanks allthumbs, very informative.

One other question though, are they suitable for slide/blues.

Regards

Michael

Thanks allthumbs, very informative.

One other question though, are they suitable for slide/blues.

Regards

Michael

Again it depends on what sound you want . Teles are not going to give you a heavily distorted blues vibe,but should be ok for brighter sounding slide. The slide blues tune I recorded was with a guitar with P-90 pups (pickups) which are 1/2 way between a tele and a strat. Still pretty bright sounding and it was a bit of a struggle not to sound like a bumblebee when I added distortion. Humbuckers give a fat rich distortion while single coil pickups are harsher.