allthumbs

Fenders Answer to Variax

I wouldn't have to think very long at all - except (for some unknown reason) the prices of guitars doesn't correspond to the exchange rates. It will be relatively expensive in the UK.

I'm a telecaster player really - but I'd make an exception for this. It would mean I have to take one less guitar with me for gigs.

At first i was about to post "no man, stick with what you like,...you wont going to need any other guitar than your main axe..." But after seeing that video...Wow, i just saw many other vids of that Strat and it looks pretty pretty amazing, and for the sounds BETTER than any Variax.

BTW, I hate the look of the Variax.

Hmmm....I would think it should go for a bit more than $1200. The video demo was pretty cool. If it is around $1200, and sounded good, and played as well as my current Strat, I would be very tempted to sell my Dean Evo (humbuckers) and maybe my 40th anniversary Strat and get one of these. Dunno. :dunno:

Lots of variations possible with just a flick of the switch. Very interesting.

There was no price listed on the new pdf file for the price lsits on Fenders site.

Guess I just have to sit & wait.........:waiting:

I got to agree with you Neil. I'm a traditionalist as far as guitars go, The reasons for this is, I have a number of guitars that I bought for specific genre's of style and because I like the individual look of each and every one of them. I have never been a big fan of the Variax, But! this is a Fender! and I think it is a nice standard strat look, apart from it has one more knob. So maybe if I try one at the next guitar show I may change my mind. I,ll see.

Super cool. Doesn't seem as versatile as the Variax, but then having what it does do all self contained is probably a fair trade off for that. If it sells at 1200 US, (I personally wouldn't care if it's Mexican or US built) it will kill the Line6 stuff. Watch what happens to the price of Variax guitars now!

I am gutted, I just spent €2000 on a delux strat and I love this one.........and its cheaper!

This is just my opinion Krissovo, but I think you've got the better guitar!:yes::winkthumb:

This is just my opinion Krissovo, but I think you've got the better guitar!:yes::winkthumb:

Now I have thought about it more I am inclined to agree with you, I am not into the Variax at all and I have all the tone I want out of my Strat to keep me occupied for a lifetime.

Now I have thought about it more I am inclined to agree with you, I am not into the Variax at all and I have all the tone I want out of my Strat to keep me occupied for a lifetime.

To me, the Variax and new Fender V Strat are like a poor man's guitar version of a Swiss Army Knife made in Taiwan. NO OFFENSE TO ANY TAIWANESE! And I know that the V Strat is made in USA, BUT that's just MY take on it anyway!

I am gutted, I just spent €2000 on a delux strat and I love this one.........and its cheaper!

Ah but! you have got a true pedigree Strat. you've bought it as a strat, and that is what that beauty of your's is, and all of us strat owners will agree on that.:)

The price is a little more then $1200 - maybe the list shouls have read $2200? Have seen it on the web listed at $1700 reduced. Ah well nice to dream.

To me, the Variax and new Fender V Strat are like a poor man's guitar version of a Swiss Army Knife made in Taiwan. NO OFFENSE TO ANY TAIWANESE! And I know that the V Strat is made in USA, BUT that's just MY take on it anyway!

Why? Have you played the VG?

Lets not be predjudiced because it has a digital processor to generate some of its tone.

Play it then access it honestly based on playability and tone.

Hey AllThumbs, I looked but didn't see a price anywhere. Where did you see the $1200 mentioned. Seems to me, if it's American made, plus all that technology, it's gonna be more than $1200.

NEVERMIND!!!! I just found a couple of items. List is $2400, so Street price is usually lower than that by a big bit. Musiciansbuy.com has a package with a free Fender stand, tuner and cable with the axe for $1700. Hmmm, not bad. But I'd still want to play one first.

Hey AllThumbs, I looked but didn't see a price anywhere. Where did you see the $1200 mentioned. Seems to me, if it's American made, plus all that technology, it's gonna be more than $1200.

NEVERMIND!!!! I just found a couple of items. List is $2400, so Street price is usually lower than that by a big bit. Musiciansbuy.com has a package with a free Fender stand, tuner and cable with the axe for $1700. Hmmm, not bad. But I'd still want to play one first.

1200 was the rumoured price. Did seem kinda low. Be interesting to see what they are going for in a couple of years though.

Why? Have you played the VG?

Lets not be predjudiced because it has a digital processor to generate some of its tone.

Play it then access it honestly based on playability and tone.

No I haven't played a VG, but I have had a go on the Variax and the VG, knowing from what I've seen of it in demo's etc, is similar to the Variax in some areas.

My personally testing out a VG is not really going to change my mind, since the demonstrations of it on Fender.com are fairly comprehensive and I don't think testing it myself will achieve anything more than has already been demonstrated.

As I said in my previous comment though, this is just my opinion and if anyone else thinks that the VG is a winner, then good on them because that's their opinion. As I've said before, it would be a boring ol' world if we all agreed on everything.

The big question is how many players will be interested in a strat that switches to a Tele. I know a lot of strat players who would run from that prospect. The tele fanatics will hate the feel of it as well as the look I imagine.

Seems to me the price will, inevitably be the big decider. Earlier, I commented that I did not mind if it was a genuine US build or a Mexican, (Standard) Strat. Reason for that is because all of the Fenders, as sold in recent years, that I've got my grubby paws on have had a pretty consistent feel about them IMHO. Whether they are US deluxe, Highway or Standard, they've all been good for me. Sure, purists can argue forever, (and probably will) about hardware, pups and finish, but the bottom line for me is that they are all very playable guitars straight off the wall. I have to say that I've not personally found that to be the case with the Variax. The Japanese built 700's are very nice, but I would not say the same about the lower end models.

If Fender can put this one out at the right price and it's at least the quality of a Standard Strat, hard to see why anybody in the market for a Strat or a Tele wouldn't buy this one. I don't think I'd be replacing my American Deluxe, (That's the one that comes to me in my dreams each night, Lol. I am getting old) with one of these, but if the question is really; Variax or VG Fender? I think the Fender is going to do pretty well so long as they keep that price realistic. As AT points out, die hard Tele or Strat purists probably don't want this one, or a variax.

I never need an excuse to buy another guitar - but a good excuse always helps. I didn't like playing the solid body variax 700s - but strangely I loved playing the acoustic version (the 300s and the 700s) but I hated the sound. I am a die-hard tele purist, but I'm hoping that the VG would mean I only have to take one guitar to smaller gigs. Unfortunately, a lot of UK guitar dealers don't pass on the benefits of the dollar/sterling exchange rate so the VG might be too expensive - but I still want to try it. I'd prefer it with a vintage 7.5 radius on the fretboard - and I'd prefer a tele that switches to a strat rather than the other way round. If they bring that option out, I might find it irresistable.