7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dcinpo167xl

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-November 05

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi folks,

Having been inspired by this website I have decided to purchase an acoustic guitar
to replace an ageing and very high action classical noname guitar that has recently come out of the loft after 30 years. I have narrowed down my choice to the Tanglewood TD8ST or the Yamaha FG730S. Despite the TD8 supposedly being the best selling guitar in the US, I can't find any independent reviews for it. I have read several for the FG730S and they are all positive.
Is there someone out there who knows these guitars or brands who could provide some advice. I'm looking mainly at using them for finger picking ala Kirk's lessons.
As a beginner, I'm not that confident at going into a shop to strum with an audience and I know the shop assistant will be able to make both sound good. I would appreciate a push towards one or the other.

Thanks, Dave

#2 OFFLINE   jomac

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 07-November 05

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:41 PM

Hiya dave,
all i can offer is that i own a tanglewood resonator which is great. Ive also used a tanglewood 45 sundance model which i think is one of the best acoustics i've tried.really low action and sounds great, almost plays itself if you know what i mean. as for yamaha, i did try a few in a shop and wasnt that impressed hence going for the tanglewood but i dont know the model your after so it might be ok. hope this helps.

#3 OFFLINE   vee

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:28 PM

dcinpo167xl said:

Hi folks,

Having been inspired by this website I have decided to purchase an acoustic guitar
to replace an ageing and very high action classical noname guitar that has recently come out of the loft after 30 years. I have narrowed down my choice to the Tanglewood TD8ST or the Yamaha FG730S. Despite the TD8 supposedly being the best selling guitar in the US, I can't find any independent reviews for it. I have read several for the FG730S and they are all positive.
Is there someone out there who knows these guitars or brands who could provide some advice. I'm looking mainly at using them for finger picking ala Kirk's lessons.
As a beginner, I'm not that confident at going into a shop to strum with an audience and I know the shop assistant will be able to make both sound good. I would appreciate a push towards one or the other.

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a Yamaha and it sounds great. Yes, the assistant may be able to make both guitars sound good. However, I believe that both guitars would sound different with respects to the tone. If you can have a friend who plays guitar to accompany you to the store or even have the assistant play both guitars, see which one your ears prefer.

Vee

#4 OFFLINE   allthumbs

• Active Members

• 16,550 posts
  • Joined 11-February 05

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

My understanding is that the tanglewoods compare very favourably to Yamahas in the same price range. As stated above, play both and let your ear decide.

#5 OFFLINE   billybob36

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

I got a tanglewood tw12 on nov 12 and I was like you .I had it narrowed down to a tanglewood or a yamaha and after several trips to the music store I chose the tanglewood because I liked the tone better.Im very happy with my choice .
My only suggestion is to take your time.See witch one sounds best to you
good luck

#6 OFFLINE   dcinpo167xl

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 21-November 05

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:23 AM

Thanks Guys,
I went to the 2 largest musical instrument stores in the area yesterday. At the larger store I had a play on different models from 4 different brands. Unfortunately, neither store had the two models I had been trying to decide between. Some of the guitars I played immediately felt very uncomfortable on my left hand. A bit like playing with strings made of barbed wire. Others seemed more comfortable but either tinny or very muted tones etc. (Perhaps thats because I have been playing with nylon strings for the past couple of months). There are so many variables because presumably the characteristics of any guitar will change with different strings or an adjustment to the action. Either way, it was a useful experience.
Anyway, my impatience finally got the better of me and I plumped for the Tanglewood TW28STR via the internet. I found an exceptionally good deal which swung it for me so if it doesn't light my fire when it arrives, I'd probably be able to trade it without losing too much. My gut instinct was still with the Yamaha. I'll let you know if I change
my mind when it arrives next week.
Anyway, I appreciate all the advice.
Dave

#7 OFFLINE   Jean

• Active Members
  • 789 posts
  • Joined 20-October 05

Posted 14 January 2006 - 03:58 AM

Yamaha! Yamaha! ;)
But thats just my opinion ;)
"happiness is... a new guitar"

#8 OFFLINE   qb punk

Newcomer

• Active Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 05-February 06

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

i got a tanglewood semi acoustic...my buddy who is an experianced player got a yamaha semi...He prefers to play mine..having said that the yamaha still sounds really good... its all about you my freind

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users