lespaul7

whats your favorite music?

whats your favorite kind of music?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. whats your favorite kind of music?

• rock
    • classic rock
    • metal
    • screamo
    • country
    • southern rock

papadog65    0

Back in the days of sporadic playing and open chords, I used to play Country. Now I can do a bit of Blues & Jazz progressions. For listening, it depends on the moment; anything from classical to opera to blues to jazz to country or ethnic. As long as it sounds "musical", I'd probably like it. I doubt that "screamo" will find its way into any of my playlists!

Stratrat    0
Back in the days of sporadic playing and open chords, I used to play Country. Now I can do a bit of Blues & Jazz progressions.

"Cowboy chords" are one thing, but as I've started playing more Country on the electric I've found that it's much more difficult than rock/classic rock.....you don't have all that distortion & FX to hide behind! Those country boys play some mean licks, and it's a lot harder to do it fast & clean than it is to do it fast & dirty! :cowboy:

Ledhead V-2    0
"Cowboy chords" are one thing, but as I've started playing more Country on the electric I've found that it's much more difficult than rock/classic rock.....you don't have all that distortion & FX to hide behind! Those country boys play some mean licks, and it's a lot harder to do it fast & clean than it is to do it fast & dirty! :cowboy:
When I first started learning a year and a half ago, I asked the guy who helped me buy my guitar and amp (a lead player in a local band) about stompboards and the rest of FX. He said these gizmos can actually impede your progress for the same reasons you hinted at: they make you sound better than you really are and you're apt to be more easily satisfied with your playing. As much as I like rock and blues-rock, I find that I'm appreciating "cleaner" players more as I go along. Matter of fact, I've virtually stop setting my amp on high-gain metal settings and stick more to blues-crunch or the warm and bright clean settings. Half the time I don't even plug in at all.

Stratrat    0
...He said these gizmos can actually impede your progress for the same reasons you hinted at: they make you sound better than you really are and you're apt to be more easily satisfied with your playing...

Yep. I'm as guilty of it as anybody else.....it's easy to dial in some crunch, phaser, delay, etc. because it sounds cool and is fun - but if you turn all that stuff off and play clean, you really hear every mistake you make! Listen to a country guitarist who plays with minimal FX, like, say, Brad Paisley - now THAT'S some guitar playin'. No grind or delay to hide behind, so you gotta be able to play that axe!

Chris C    0

Wot.... no category for Bluegrass Didgeridoo?? :dunno:

Folk? Blues? Jazz? Geez, it would be a huge list if you included all the possible styles. :)

Judging by the relative size of our CD collection, it would have to be regular Classical, and various subsections of it (as in Mozart, Opera, Choral and all that old stuff....) by quite a wide margin, with Jazz, Blues, Folk, Rock etc all getting a good look in as well.

Not much there you'd call Metal - and Rap and Punk seem to have also been overlooked. Amazingly, 'Screamo' seems to be completely missing too. :eek: Although we've got quite a lot of Tom Waits, so "Raspo" is pretty popular round here.... does that count?.. :winkthumb:

Cheers,

Chris

rocketman    0
i like all kind of music except for rap or any of that stuff

There are some really cool country rap songs out there. Didn't P Diddy team up with some country guy and made the Billboard top 10 last year, on the country list too! :smilinguitar: :smilinguitar: :smilinguitar:

BigG    0

Must be my eyesight. All I see is rock, rock and rock and oh country. How about Jazz and pop and international? Anyway you cut it, IT'S ALL JUST MUSIC.

:smilinguitar:

JessThrasher    10

Thrashing heavy metal and classic rock.

Favorite sub-categories: Instrumental rock, instrumental metal, speed metal, black metal, death metal, progressive metal, speed metal, power metal, VIDEO GAME MUSIC!!!

jon_stggt    0

Really down to my mindset at the time.

Trance / techno

neo classical

rock

blues

classical (bach is top of my list in classical)

Anything that holds me "in the moment" is worth a listen.

Hey    0
Where?...Buddy Guy, Gary Moore, Walter Trout, Rob Tognoni, Eric Sardinas, Joe Bonamassa, Jonny Lang, Dave Hole, Susan Tedeschi, Robert Cray, Roy Buchanan, Jeff Healy...there's tons of really hot blues artists out there.

He means on the list......................................................../: