• MRI

Matty22    0

I see a lot of people play it as

...IRM

xx0232

i Play it as

...MRI

xx0232

I play it that way, because i find it easier to play the Sus2 and 4s, and playing a Dm doesnt involve changing the chord shape, rather than just one finger.

Just curious to see how people play it

peterm    0

Usually IRM and the pinky gets used for hitting the sus4, but it depends where I am going to/coming from

Going to a Dm, is still easy cos the ring finger stays planted and makes a pivot point

allthumbs    8
IRM 'cause it works. It's Amaj I have trouble with.:brickwall:

Be careful how you name chords. An A chord is not the same as an A maj chord. An A Maj chord is built from 5, natural 7 and a 3.

If you were playing an A chord on the second fret and dropped down to the first fret 3rd string with one finger, you would be playing an AMaj. Jazzy huh. If, you lift the finger from the G string completely you would have a A7 chord, the 7 is understood to be flat.

peterm    0
Normally IRM, but whatever fits the piece I'm playing. Sometimes MPR, sometimes barre with the I and use the M or the R for the high D...

I found that by accident a couple of days ago, I was practicing a tune that changed a lot from Bm to D and realised it was easier to keep the barre from the Bm and just move the pinky up to the fifth string fifth fret to make a D with a C shape barre. It makes a nice big sounding D chord too :winkthumb:

Cheers

Peter

solidwalnut    5
I found that by accident a couple of days ago, I was practicing a tune that changed a lot from Bm to D and realised it was easier to keep the barre from the Bm and just move the pinky up to the fifth string fifth fret to make a D with a C shape barre. It makes a nice big sounding D chord too :winkthumb:

Oh yeah. Plus that's a moveable shape that you'll find is handy in the chord arsenal.

Tekker    1
Be careful how you name chords. An A chord is not the same as an A maj chord. An A Maj chord is built from 5, natural 7 and a 3.

Hey AT,

An "A" chord is the same as an "A maj" chord, it's just a shorter way of saying it.

The chord you are describing is an Amaj7 chord.

-tkr

mikelyn    0
Hey AT,

An "A" chord is the same as an "A maj" chord, it's just a shorter way of saying it.

The chord you are describing is an Amaj7 chord.

-tkr

Thanks Tekker Allthumbs threw me for a minute. my reference to Amaj was correct. I know that this a thread for the Dmaj chord but what I was trying to say was that with my large fingers, three fingers on adjacent strings in the same fret is next to impossible but reading other posts I know I'm not alone. practice,practice, practice I'm hoping and am told will improve it.:)

allthumbs    8
Thanks Tekker Allthumbs threw me for a minute. my reference to Amaj was correct. I know that this a thread for the Dmaj chord but what I was trying to say was that with my large fingers, three fingers on adjacent strings in the same fret is next to impossible but reading other posts I know I'm not alone. practice,practice, practice I'm hoping and am told will improve it.:)

My appologies. I have often seen them referred to as Amaj implying the natural 7th as opposed to writing AMaj7. Maybe I have been hanging around lazy tabbists for too long. If you ever run into a tab that is full of regular chords and you see one that says MAJ, Chances are they mean a MAJ7.

mikelyn    0
My appologies. I have often seen them referred to as Amaj implying the natural 7th as opposed to writing AMaj7. Maybe I have been hanging around lazy tabbists for too long. If you ever run into a tab that is full of regular chords and you see one that says MAJ, Chances are they mean a MAJ7.

Thanks Allthumbs, thats cleared another problem where Ive seen a music score call for Amaj and it sounded different to what I expected, now I know why, their playing Amaj7 of course.

Mike

In sweden (and probably in other countries too) we simply refer to them as Maj chords, so probably it comes from there. Major chords are called "dur", but usually just referred to by their root note.