Fretsource

Fretsource new lesson - reading music (standard notation)

Hi - just announcing a new lesson on reading music notation that I'm putting together, now that my ear training lessons are finished.

The first two lessons are up and I'll be adding more. I hope it will be useful, especially to those members who've been asking about notation recently. Some points at first may seem a little technical and offputting when you read them. Never mind - they're just for reference - come back to them whenever you need to and they'll make more sense each time. The main value will gained from practising the reading exercises. Any questions - feel free to ask in the lessons discussion forum.

Cheers :smilinguitar:

Thanks Fretsource. I'll make sure we mention that in our next newsletter. It'll sure to be of interest to many of our members.

I didn't realise that you'd finished the ear training lessons. I'll also mention that.

Thanks again Fretsource for all your hard work.

Clancy

Many thanks Fretsource for all your hard work and time that you have put into the new lesson. I just had a look at it and boy, your really have covered quite a bit of information.

Although I'm quite familiar with it all, it never hurts to review certain aspects of music theory etc and keep the ol' brain cells alert.

So thanks again!

Fretsource,

Thank you for the terrific lesson on music. Heck I haven't done this since learning to play the accordion, and that was 50 years ago. Maybe I'll start the process over in respect to guitar.

eddiez152

Thanks for the feedback guys. They're going along slowly but surely and still a long way to go. I think my recent afterthought of making example sound files for each exercise was a good idea even if I say so myself. ;) It will make it easier to check for anyone who's not quite sure if they're doing it right.

Neil, using your experience, keep an eye open for any mistakes that slip past me. I'd be grateful.

Eddiez - I think that's a great idea to use your accordion reading experience to learn notation on guitar. You'll progress much faster, which means I'd better get a move on. :D

Hi - just an update...

For anyone who's been following my Standard Notation lessons I've written a flash program to give you practice in naming and playing a random series of notes as they appear on the lines and spaces of the staff. Choose from various levels of 'difficulty' to suit your present ability - up to 3 octaves.

You'll find it after the last lesson (lesson 15). Don't expect too much from my programming skills - I'm a 'beginner' not a 'beyond'. :D