marinoFret

What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking + why?

What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking

starsailor    20
Just been doin it for forty years.loved Chet I guess.Bluegrass boys I hang out with aren't happy bout it though.So I been doin a lot of flatpickin last couple of years.

I voted fingerpicking as I've been practising that a lot lately, I'm currently trying to learn I am a man of constant sorrow, the Soggy Bottom boys version, I've got it down as alternate tuning in DADGAD with a capo on the third fret but I'm new to alternate tuning is it best to do it by ear or will an electronic tuner be ok, any tips will be appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

cshude    0

I found early on that fingerpicking was a lot easier for me than flatpicking- might be that playing the piano first just made finding the strings easier. Plus, I could never keep track of picks in my early days of playing.

Chris- if you do a search for Man of Constant Sorrow on ultimate-guitar.com you'll find a nice version of it in drop-D. Lot less fooling around with tuning. It's written as the acoustic version that Christopher Thomas King plays in the movie when they first record it. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dan_tyminski/i_am_a_man_of_constant_sorrow_power_tab.htm

Dewy    0

I tried... couldn't pick one... not a matter of "which I prefer"... but rather what does the song call for?

Probably started fingerpicking one day with a statement like "Where the hell is that pick?" Never looked back... although I found the pick, and lost it, and bought enough to fill a dumptruck since then.

eddiez152    129

I voted for finger picking. Tried flat pick, but it gets stuck between the strings.

Although I would like to do both. I use a thumb pick all the time.

starsailor    20
I found early on that fingerpicking was a lot easier for me than flatpicking- might be that playing the piano first just made finding the strings easier. Plus, I could never keep track of picks in my early days of playing.

Chris- if you do a search for Man of Constant Sorrow on ultimate-guitar.com you'll find a nice version of it in drop-D. Lot less fooling around with tuning. It's written as the acoustic version that Christopher Thomas King plays in the movie when they first record it. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/d/dan_tyminski/i_am_a_man_of_constant_sorrow_power_tab.htm

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that version,

Cheers

Chris