marinoFret

What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking + why?

What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you prefer: Flatpicking or fingerpicking

I first learned to play using a plectrum. A couple of years ago I tried some fingerpicking tunes and I got the habit. Just seems more natural to me. Better control too, it seems.

I voted flatpicking, even though i like to do both.

But i have the problem of disobedient fingers. So my fingerpicking is crap :P, but i still try and do it :smilinguitar:

I started out flatpicking, then tried finger picks. When I was doing the hippy travelling around Europe thing in the late 60's I wound up in places where they didn't sell picks, and after I'd lost mine, I started playing with bare fingers. I've stuck with it ever since.

I mostly use a flatpick when doing powerchords and rock/blues, but when doing melodic on my accoustic's I fingerpick. My nails keep breaking on my strum hand, otherwise I would use fingerpicking all the time.

I'm a hybrid picker too, mostly when playing acoustic but with the electric I mostly play with a pick.

Reason: With the acoustic if I'm doing fingerstyle then obviously I'll fingerpick, but otherwise I'll use a pick together with my fingers and that suits my playing.

Whereas, with the electric I'm playing predominantly blues stuff and so I use a pick.

Flatpicking because it's just what I've always done. I've started playing with a few of Kirk's fingerpicking lessons though - always good to broaden your horizons!

It is fingerpicking for me. Lack of access to plectrums when I started was the driving force. Then too, I had heard Chet Atkins play and I was hooked on that style. It was years before I realized he used a thumb pick. (No TV) Too bad I never was able to master the style.

I totally love to do both. I can't vote on this one! I usually don't do the hybrid thing of both at the same time, it's usually one or the other. On electric as well as acoustic. Many times I'll switch within the same song, like fingerstyle for the verses and a pick for the chorus. Depends on what I'm doing with the song.

flatpicking cause thats the way i started and just never wanted to fingerpick until i seen cshude finger a few songs and now im wanting to give it a try. but im trying to flatpick while im fingering.but i really wanna get fingerpicking down altogether.

One of these days I'm going to start working on some "chick'n pickin'". :cowboy: I really enjoy country/western music, and that's a staple of the style.

I swing both ways from time to time but, even when I'm flatpicking I do it in a hybrid style. I like to use a thumbpick occasionally too. My main guns are bare fingers/thumb though. Why? Because I feel like it gives me more control. I seem to feel how the guitar responds to my touch. The less there is between me and my strings, the better.

One more thing. I tend to have a lot of excess energy and I always seem to be doing something with my fingers anyway so, fingerstyle helps to keep all my digits busy.

Kevin

I like to feel the strings under my fingers.

I second that. Though I can't get the grip of fingerpicking... yet.

I think flatpicking will always be my preference, because of the styles I'm into, but I'd really love to be able to fingerpick or at least do hybrid picking. There's so much you can do there that you can't do with a flatpick alone.

Fingerpicking for me. Although 'thumb strumming' is probably actually what I do most of.

I think it started because I could play a lot quieter with my fingers than with a pick. And I preferred being quietly bad to loudly bad! :oops:

But I do find that, like Allthumbs, I like to feel the strings under my fingers. It also seems more versatile. I can use the fingers in quite a variety of combinations and styles. Apart from being able to pluck more than one string at once, or using patterns like Travis picking, you can get different effects depending on which part you use. For example by using the fleshy ball of your thumb or fingers, or the side of the thumbnail, or downstrumming with several fingernails at once with a curled hand, etc.

Just been doin it for forty years.loved Chet I guess.Bluegrass boys I hang out with aren't happy bout it though.So I been doin a lot of flatpickin last couple of years.

flatpicking most of the time, but am trying ,and improving, fingerpicking, when i see,or hear, someone doing fingerpicking i just think it adds something.