WernHalen

Guitar Pro or Power Tab?

WernHalen    0

Ok, I know I am probably opening a can of worms but which do you guys prefer PT or GP? If seen GP but have not got too much experience with it... Pt I havent even seen...

allthumbs    8

If you have both you will have a ton of tabs covered. Powertab is free so you can print out tunes. G.P. won't unless you buy it for 50 bucks or so. G.P. has a lot more bells and whistles. Both have steep learning curves IMO, but then on off buttons are more my speed. G.P. has a downloadable demo so look at both.

Jean    0

I think they both do the same basic things, so go for the powertab software... The GP has an "electronic tuner" scales and other bells and whistles as althumbs said, the choice would really be up to you anyway.

Alfcarguy    0

Guitar pro good for making backing tracks to jam too. Haven't seen anything better than GP. You can take midi's and have drums and bass for backing tracks with GP also. I don't believe it will tab the guitar stuff right but not sure. Just us it to make backing tracks that means all the other instruments but the guitar stuff.

allthumbs    8
This would be expected. not being a freeware product.

Actualy GP4 sounded just as bad as powertab. The 5 upgrade uses a new sound engine. Still not perfect,but a lot better than it was.

missileman    0

I use both, PT is somewhat easier to use, GP sounds better and has a keyboard feature that my daughters likes to use (this gives my daughter and I some songs to play together)

I am not sure of the current status of the PT archive for downloading songs, it was not accessable last time I looked because of legal issues.

WernHalen    0

OK I have had a look at both and am now able to give an opinion about both. Guitar Pro you have to pay for, but there is reason for that. It is an easier program to use and it has more features that make using the program user friendly. Guitar pro alows you to put down numerous tracks each with its own instruments, there are quite alot of instruments available. Drum tracks, string tracks, precussions, sax, trumpet etc its all there. What is nice is the fact that you can set the volume individually for each track and therefore mix the song to your requirements.

Power tab is a freeware program and was written acouple of years ago. there are a lot of free PT tabs on the net but they are not available at the moment, because of some legal squirmish. PT only alows you two instruments on a tab, guitar and bass. Changing the time i.e. speeding up or slowing down the song is difficult ( i havent figured it out and have given up trying.)

My final vote would propably be for GP seeing that the program is easy to use and alows more tracks. The fact that you are paying for the program is not very nice. Especially since i found out that if you own version 3 and would like to play version 5 tabs you need to buy version 5 again... Something like microsoft is doing with their software, but with GP you are not able to even open the next versions tabs with just some features disabled.

danthelion    0

I have been using Powertab, Guitar Pro & Tabledit for some 6 years, in that time I have arranged well over 100 songs for fingerstyle guitar & have settled on using powertab.

I want to say that most of the things that people are saying are not possible using powertab are possible. But you have to read the tutorial!

All 3 programs are great for guitar scores, if you want to create scores for an entire orchestra there are bigger better programs out there.

Ptb has 2 screens that can do 4 voices each, using any of the industry standard midi voices that are the same on all 3 programs.

Powertab is free! & until you become proficient at arranging, it would probably pay to start by using it. Later when you know what you are doing & if then you want to buy GP or Tabledit, then you can open the Powertabs you have created with the new GP5 & changed them to GP.

Other things to consider that I will explain later in greater detail later when I have time: tabledit has a viewer that prints & plays for free, most people who are fingerstyle players prefer tabledit, there is a convertor that changes GP & Ptb to Tabledit for free, there is software & soundfonts that can produce the same sounds that the new GP5 has on tabledit & Powertab. There is a tabledit archive program that keeps everything tidy & accessible on your computer...

Anyway said my bit, got to go

Dan

danthelion    0

The soundfonts were for 'Sound blaster live' sound cards (hardware) & designed by Larry Kuhn & were free. The site I went to years ago has since closed but you could try emailing Larry at his new site about it http://el-kay.com/ if you have sound blaster.

The software that I used on my old computer was called "Jet Midi" by Cowon it is a wave synth & generates sounds just as realistic as RSE. Once installed you just go in to midi options in Tabledit, Powertab, & GP & select it.

There are other soundfonts & software out there too.

I can't find it on my old hard drive at the moment, but it be should be on the net somewhere, when I do find it I will transfer it & install it to my new computer.

danthelion    0

You mention someone's name in passing not thinking they will ever know & within hours you find a reply from 'The Tabmeister" himself.

[For those who don't know, Larry was the founder of "Fingerstyle Guitar Resource Center" (currently offline), use to be my homepage years ago.]

Anyway, humbled to know you're on board Larry, thanks for all your contributions to the guitar community over the years (tabs & technical). 'Hey Nineteen' still takes the cake, man that is a cool arrangement!

Dan

WernHalen    0

Thanks for all your input guys... I can twait to get the sound fonts installed and testing them. unfortunately I cant do it for the next couple of days.

Welcome Larry! Thanks for your contribution.

LarryKu    0

Hi Dan,

I was a bit shocked when I saw my name in your post. Although I can't remember your name, I'm sure we probably had email communications in the past. The FGRC was my pride and joy, and I was very down when I decided to close it. At one time it was probably the largest collection of high-quality fingerstyle guitar transcriptions and arrangements available on the net, and I felt that the "Internet Music Ploice" would be coming my way. Michel Dalle Ave kept the pages available until the most recent threat on site closures, and now I see he has removed access to the tabs.

Having gone through a site closure threat in the past, I understand the rationale that the tab site owners have used in closing down their sites. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

You had an excellent review of the tab programs. My thoughts are TablEdit is best for fingerstyle, while either Guitar-Pro or PowerTab would be preferred for flat-picking. In any case, all three can be used to create high-quality tabs.

I had always hoped to create a good acoustic steel string soundfont, but never got good sound samples from anyone. I play only nylon, so I don't have access to a good steel string acoustic. Maybe one of these days, I'll get around to creating one.

I look forward to all of Kirk's new lessons. They are all very playable and excellent for listeners. I have created complete arrangements for several of his lessons (with intro's and endings). I can't post them as they are in TablEdit format, but if there is interest, I can probably make them available some way. For those of you that are beginners, you probably won't find a better source for beginner/intermediate tabs than those on this site.

Larry

LarryKu    0

To create samples, you need to be able to record guitar sounds to your PC. The first thing you need is a good sample editor. I use Adobe Audition (formerly Cool-Edit). An excellent free sample editor is Audacity.

These programs allow you to record amd edit your samples.

To capture guitar samples, you need to mic steel or nylon acoustic guitars in the most sound-proof environment you can locate. Try to avoid PC fan noises, etc. If you have a mixer, the best method would be to hook the mic or mics to the mixer then the mixer to the line-in on your soundcard. Otherwise you can hook it up to the mic or line-in port on your soundcard to see which gives you better sampled sounds.

For electric guitars, you can either use a direct connection from your amp to the line-in on your soundcard or mic the amp similar to acoustic guitars above.

When I get some time, I will create some instructions on what samples to take and hopefully locate the tutorial I found for using the Vienna Soundfont editor available from the Creative Labs website.

For those that do not have a souncard that supports soundfonts, there is a free soundfont synthesizer called SynthFont that you can use to take advantage of soundfonts. I haven't tried it, but will give it a go to see how it works. The only disadvantage to this type setup is the latency between the midi playback and the playback cursor in notation programs. Some programs allow you set a delay for the playback cursor to sync it with the midi sounds.

LarryKu    0

I was mistaken about SoftSynth. I thought it was a software midi device that could be accessed by any of the notation programs. It is only a midi synthesizer that can play midi files using sounfonts. Not of much use unless you just want to play existing midis.