allthumbs

Easiest tunes to start with here.

allthumbs    8

I have been asked this a lot lately. I have played enough to not have the same concept of hard and easy that new players have. How about a little help here. What did you find the easiest lessons to start with. I was thinking we could post them in the new player start here sticky thread. I think House of The Rising Son is an easy one to start with. What have you found.

Jean    0

I started of with JT style picking, it took me a day to figure out, but from then on I could play and read any tab(mostly any;) anyway) or Starry starry night seems pretty easy for me... wouldn't recomend it for a total beginner anyway...

dEcember    0

Hey guys(gals) i dont even know how to post here . last time it got lost some where in between the other post. Anyway about easiest tunes must thank Kirk I've learned a few, from his lessons.due some injury in my hand I can't pick ( blackbird thumb+finger)capolane wish they all that simple .JT's way Ii can only dream about. So please more of those ...

drabbag    0

This is a good topic. Ive only been playing 2 months now but the songs that I started on werent exactly easy... and thats probably the reason why I still cant play the whole songs. I started mainly on Metallica nothing else matters, the "more than words" and I like Tears in heaven as well. Tears in heaven was tricky for me and took some time but Ive made it to the third lesson.

What Id like to know is some songs that are easy to play the whole way through.. I still to this day cant play a complete song.

Jean    0

Try out the JT picking, just write down the tab, go sit on a quite place where you can think and read and play, anyway it worked for me...

allthumbs    8

Read the above posts and pick one. For now stay away from the tunes with bar chords as much as possible. Make sure you have the basic chords down like the D,A,E,C and G chords. The last two can be hard to hold if you are just beginning to play. Remember these tunes are finger picked so most of the time you don't have to hold down the full chord shape. Most of the notes will be picked out of the chord shape so it helps to visualize what chord the notes are from that you are picking.

mcollett    0

I just joined the forum a couple weeks ago and I'd say I'm pretty new to the guitar. I'm one of those guys who learned something that sounded like the intro to "Stairway to heaven" back when it was still on a record. Jump forward 25 years and I buy a guitar, for x-mas, and now I'm determined to learn. So a beginner, yes. But I could still remember a couple chords believe it or not.

I believe I'd agree to pick a lesson with no bar chords. I'm starting with the current song and I am definately hung on the bar chord:)

Some of the folks here have forgetten how uncooperative those fingers can be, ESPECIALLY ON THE RIGHT HAND, but I'm sure feeling your pain.

Best of luck, lets give it a year then cycle a tune and get a "freshman class" jam posted.

Mike

'Wicked Game' - Chris Issak, Am, G, D

'Simple Man' - Lynyrd Skynyrd, Am, C, G

'Peaceful Easy Feeling' - The Eagles, G, C, D

'Hound Dog' - Elvis Presley, A, D, E

'Move On Over' - Hank Williams, E, A, B

'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' - U2, G, C, D

'In God's Country' - U2, D, Am, E, G

'Party Girl' - U2, B, E, A

'Keep Your Hands To Yourself' - Georgia Satellites, A, D, E

there's 100's of them.

Clancy    36

I think the original post by allthumbs was asking "what are the easiest songs to start out with on this site?" not just songs in general, but hey, it's all helpful :)

Since this was first posted, Kirk has put together some easy lessons for rank beginners, so for those interested, you'll find them here - http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Cheers

Clancy

Ledhead V-2    0

Like an idiot, I had to pick "Freebird" as my first full song to try to learn and believe me, there's nothing "easy" about it for a beginner...

Though I did figure out the intros to "Sunshine of Your Love", "Heartbreak Hotel", "Catscratch Fever" (all easy) and quite a few others before I attempted Skynyrd's anthem. I'm still pluggin' away at it though.

coldethyl    0
Like an idiot, I had to pick "Freebird" as my first full song to try to learn and believe me, there's nothing "easy" about it for a beginner...QUOTE]

Check out the March issue of Guitar World with Joe Satriani on the front cover. There is a full tab and story about the song "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.:)

Neil

PhilR    0

If you dont mind the Beatles 2 other simple arrangements I've found helpfull are :

Let it Be

"G D Em C G D,

C G Em D C,

G G D C G" strumming down 4 times on each chord, slighly harder on the 1st and 3rd strums and

"You've got to hide your love away"

"D A C D G G,

C G D A C D,

G G C G A A,

G G C G A A,

D D G G A A A A ,

strumming 2 downs, one up and one down on each chord,

Good luck

micklen    0

For solo pick work a couple I have found nice to learn are, Here comes the Sun Beatles and the opening riff to Parisienne Walkways Gary Moore

And if you want to work on your finger spread Sweet Dreams Marylin Manson :D

Ledhead V-2    0
Like an idiot, I had to pick "Freebird" as my first full song to try to learn and believe me, there's nothing "easy" about it for a beginner...QUOTE]

Check out the March issue of Guitar World with Joe Satriani on the front cover. There is a full tab and story about the song "Freebird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.:)

Neil

Thanks, Neil, I just bought my copy today. It also includes a step-by-step cd to guide you through "Satch's Boogie" and his soloing techniques (though I might hold off on that for just a week or two. I don't think I'm quite ready to handle it. :rolleyes: Might give the "Purple Haze" tab a try though). Plus, on page 30, you can register at Guitar World's site for a shot at being Satch's roadie for a day. They'll fly you out to one of his concerts, you'll get the opportunity to hob-nob with Joe and the band, and you'll go home with $500 worth of goodies from D'Addario and Planet Waves (strings, cables, straps, etc).

Bob

coldethyl    0
Thanks, Neil, I just bought my copy today. It also includes a step-by-step cd to guide you through "Satch's Boogie" and his soloing techniques (though I might hold off on that for just a week or two. I don't think I'm quite ready to handle it. :rolleyes: Might give the "Purple Haze" tab a try though). Plus, on page 30, you can register at Guitar World's site for a shot at being Satch's roadie for a day. They'll fly you out to one of his concerts, you'll get the opportunity to hob-nob with Joe and the band, and you'll go home with $500 worth of goodies from D'Addario and Planet Waves (strings, cables, straps, etc).

Bob

I'd sure love to win that!:thumbup1:

Neil

Ledhead V-2    0

I'd sure love to win that!:thumbup1:

Neil

Give it a shot. You don't even have to buy the magazine to enter. Just go to their site and register.

Then again, seeing as how you live in 'Roo Land, they might get cheap on ya and decide to fly you to the concert in the baggage section of the plane :angry: (of course, it's all dependent on where the concert's going to be held in the first place...)

Bob

Clookid    0

Hey dudes,

I would reccomend Brother John for a total beginner.

G

Are you sleeping, Are you sleeping

Brother John, Brother John

Morning bells are ringing, Morning bells are ringing

Ding ding dong, Ding ding dong

Times two

Tinkerbell    0

Hi guys!

i found summer of 69 a really easy one to start off with. there is so much repetition and everyone knows it so when you play people can sing along and think you're great! :-)

give it a try!

tink