Johnny Guitar

Where to find a basket case HB guitar to set up for slide.

I see a lot of great guitars here, and some pretty cheap.

I have an old Yamaha acoustic six string which I use for slide (it has a slightly bowed neck). I think I'd rather get a new electric guitar to set up for slide. I usually use a 0.009 high E on my standard guitars.

I have a hollow body guitar that I bought at a garage sale for $10 many years ago. Unfortunately, it has a zero nut, so raising the action would be very difficult.

Since I have no money at the moment, I've been thinking of trying to find an old stripped and beat up Gibson or Epiphone since I have a couple of 70s era Gibson humbuckers that need a home. I'm willing to do most (all) the work myself as I've done a bit of building and set up work before.

Any idea where I might find such a beast?

Thanks,

John

why dont you make a cigar box guitar. thats a cheap way to go,you all ready have most of the hardware. Cigcasters are pretty cool. All I can think of is to keep checking ebay and pawn shops for what your looking for.

Check this site every day:

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/default.asp

Click on musical instruments.

I've seen everything from Tubas, to pianos, to Martins and Gibsons. Some nice, some total garbage. It's a potpouri, so you have to keep checking. I've bought about 30 instruments from the site, mostly guitars. Just got a beater banjo today. I never go very high, because the instruments keep coming and there is no end. I've probably bid on 500 or so of them over the last year.

looks like you will find something there. To bad they don't ship to Canada. I would go nuts buying junk guitars to break down for parts for my cigar box guitar projects. Just checked, no such thing in Canada.bummer

Yeah, check out that unusual mystery guitar! :D

I'll keep looking there, thanks for the tip.

On ebay I did see an early 70s Les Paul Custom that was stripped. They want $1100 for it. That's way more than I'm thinking of paying. I did see a few ugly Epiphones LPs on Music Go Round for around $100 to $200.

I see a lot of great guitars here, and some pretty cheap.

I have an old Yamaha acoustic six string which I use for slide (it has a slightly bowed neck). I think I'd rather get a new electric guitar to set up for slide. I usually use a 0.009 high E on my standard guitars.

I have a hollow body guitar that I bought at a garage sale for $10 many years ago. Unfortunately, it has a zero nut, so raising the action would be very difficult.

Since I have no money at the moment, I've been thinking of trying to find an old stripped and beat up Gibson or Epiphone since I have a couple of 70s era Gibson humbuckers that need a home. I'm willing to do most (all) the work myself as I've done a bit of building and set up work before.

Any idea where I might find such a beast?

Thanks,

John

Regarding the zero nut guitar- I recall seeing (somewhere in my wanderings) a replacement bridge nut for dobro where you can raise the strings above the zero fret. This would make the guitar a dobro style lap steel rather than a fretted guitar.

search for 'dobro nut' at the big auction site - there are sheetmetal and cast potmetal versions- i've used those conversion nuts for lap steel projects for years

theguitarshow.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/lap-slide-conversion_5.jpg