billybob36

How much time do you pratice each day ?

How much time do you practice each day ?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do you practice each day ?

• 30 to 60 min
    • 1 to 2 hours
    • 3 to 4 hours
    • over 4 hours

gravitas    0

I vary. I go from practicing zip (usually on Mondays when things are hectic) to practicing up to 10 hours on weekends. Averaged, I'd say about 3 and a half hours a day.

micklen    0
Actually, this is a quote from Andre Segovia when asked how much he practiced. The interviewer didn't think him arrogant, but instead understood that playing is not practice to him, or to me. I play a lot, but when it becomes "practice" I back off. I want it to stay as fun in the future as it has for the past 30 or so years. That's not to say don't learn new tunes, or to not try to refine your playing, but to keep it fun. There are many tunes I play that I had to play many, many times before I could get through them. You might see that as practice. I see it as playing and learning. The difference? State of mind.

Very good point well taken

Surely though playing repetition to learn is practice ;)

But let's not get into a lengthy discussion on this

It will cut down our playing time :D :D :D

Rockerbob    47

Like I said, it's a state of mind thing, but yes, at times I do repeat things to get better. I still don't want to consider it practice, but certainly it is. :) Then there are other times when no practice is required. Most of the pop type tunes I learn these days, old or new, don't require any practice or repetition. They are easy and I can play them right away. Chet Atkin's version of Ave Maria, on the other hand, took me a few run throughs. :)

micklen    0

I still have a lot to learn on the fretboard before I can play a tune I don't know first time

I can normally scramble my way through after a few goes, but it can be hard work sometimes

Also my fingers don't seem to move like they used to 30 years ago :(

The also seem 3 times as thick :crying:

I hope it will all come back before the arthritis sets in too much :wheelchai as I really love playing

I do want to be able to play chords though and that is a big stumbling block at the moment with me smothering adjacent strings :confused:

I never remember the strings being that close together :censored:

Lcjones    8

As a rule I always have a guitar at my desk. Tonight, three of them. I'm trying to break away from playing other peoples songs I've played over the years. Some of them are part of my DNA now. I'm concentrating on developing melody and lyrical skills for my own music. So it's practice, practice, practice. I write everyday, whether it's just a phrase, line or two or a complete song.

Some days are better than others and I get more time in, but on an average I'd say between and hour and two hours.

Eddie_O    0

mmm.. for me.. i practice for about 30 to 45 min.. but sometimes i last for more than 120 min..!!!

i think if i become a professional it will a miracle to separate us..!! me & my guitar :D

justpickin    0

I practice in the home studio (practice room) maybe 3 times/week, two hours or so each time, sometimes longer if I'm trying to throw my dreaded voice into anything new for the band. But, if I'm sitting watching the boob tube, there is usually a guitar in my hand....either electric or acoustic......I noodle all the time.

mcknett    1

I try to make sure I get some time in every day - usually in the evening. I get some morning time in when I get to take my son to school - other days work gets in the way. In fact, work seems to get in the way of all of my fun.

Ledhead V-2    0

I practice about an hour or two a day during the week and as much as I possibly can on weekends (anywhere between 6-12 hrs.) One thing I'm slowly beginning to realize however is that after practicing for long periods of time trying to learn a bit more from a tab book, I tend not to do so well. Seems as though if I give it a rest and not practice as much, a lot of times I'm able to pick up the guitar the next day and Presto! -- the notes/chords I'd been having trouble with previously seem to come together almost effortlessly...strange.

Am I practicing too much for a beginner? I mean, I've been living by the credo "Practice, practice, practice." Maybe that's what I'm supposed to do: practice til I seem to be screwing up and then the next day I'm finally rewarded with "getting it."

Anyone else notice this in their endeavors? Just curious...

Led :clover:

Rob451    0

I practice in little snippets, about 10 to 15 minutes at a time, because that's all my arthritis can handle. So I do this 3-5 times a day, every day. Progress is slow, but it's still progress

MontanaSlim    0
I practice about an hour or two a day during the week and as much as I possibly can on weekends (anywhere between 6-12 hrs.) One thing I'm slowly beginning to realize however is that after practicing for long periods of time trying to learn a bit more from a tab book, I tend not to do so well. Seems as though if I give it a rest and not practice as much, a lot of times I'm able to pick up the guitar the next day and Presto! -- the notes/chords I'd been having trouble with previously seem to come together almost effortlessly...strange.

Am I practicing too much for a beginner? I mean, I've been living by the credo "Practice, practice, practice." Maybe that's what I'm supposed to do: practice til I seem to be screwing up and then the next day I'm finally rewarded with "getting it."

Anyone else notice this in their endeavors? Just curious...

Led :clover:

Yes, I've noticed that myself. Sometimes, a couple of days break seems to do a

world of good.

Jim    0

1-2 hours on weekdays after work, anywhere up to 6 hours on weekends, depending on what else is going on.

I have also found that occassional breaks of a day or two really helps in that the past lessons seem to jell and things come together.

Jim