billybob36

How much time do you pratice each day ?

How much time do you practice each day ?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do you practice each day ?

• 30 to 60 min
    • 1 to 2 hours
    • 3 to 4 hours
    • over 4 hours

allthumbs    8

For me playing and practice are the same thing. I am not good with exercises so I just play as much as I can. I make sure I stop if anything starts to hurt. Depending on whats going on I will play for 1 to 4 hours over the course of a day. It is fun to jam over tv commecials and tv background music.

si16    10

billybob,

To add the poll you need to click on "Thread Tools", which is in the blue bar above your first post, and then "Add a Poll to this thread".

naugrim    0

Normally-what means beside this poll- I make a difference between playing and practicing. Playing means doodeling what I can do anyway. Practicing means studying about things I´m not able to do ´till now. Playing I do a lot. Practice Ido dayly between half an hour or up to two hours. Depends mostly on my concentration or what is called attention span. When my fingers hurt more than usual,what they often do depending of my dayly work, I have to put away the guitar and do some theory. With pen and paperis is this most useful.

bluesguy    0

I try to practice about an hour a day. I am absolutely amazed that some of you can practice for hours. With a day job, kids and house chores I am happy with 1 hour of practice a day. How do the rest of you do it?

Hi BluesGuy. Don C. here. When it comes to practicing I'm very lucky to be self employed so I have the time to put in those long hours. I feel to excel playing any instrument takes alot of discipline and dedication. Not everybody is willing or able to do this because of family and job restraints. If you practice with focus and don't try playing material that's beyond your ability it will all pay off. I also feel that all aspiring fingerstyle guitar players would benefit by studying classical guitar technique for a year or so. It sure helped me. Don C.

papadog65    0

Well, shucks! I hit a wall several months ago. I used to play/practice at least a couple of hours a day. Suddenly, I'm lucky to do that a couple hours a month! Not sure why. I enjoy playing the stuff I already know, and I love to listen to new recordings, but I'm not that enthused about practicing or learning new things. I still read a lot of stuff about theory, technique and such, but am just reluctant to pick up the axe to try anything new. It may be because a friend (who's heard me practice) wants me to play at her wedding. Maybe I've just frozen up because of that.

missileman    0

In my opinion playing anything, even stuff you already know, is practice.

I practice 4+ hours per day.

I am lucky to have a job that most of the day I have nothing to do so to fill the time I practice.

Alfcarguy    0

I never practice, I jam to BT tracks here and there. And when I do jam its about 2-5 or more hrs. to some Heavy Metal :eek: How ever long it takes for me to get thur 10-25 songs I have on a CD. Who needs practice,lol. Its funny I say that cause I use to have a step dad that would even practice that I know of, and we surely didn't have a piano at the house when I was a kid. But we would go over to family relatives and he would start playing On Blue barrie hill. By Fats Dominio, and again once we went to a rodeo and he was up their playing with the band playing the guitar. This was yrs before I even started playing the guitar myself. I guess the best players don't need no practice time when its all talent. Might have to tell you people about the old time blues jam step dad took me to one time. Not a night I will ever for get when I was about 6 or 7 yrs old maybe older I don't remember that but it was about the 78-79 year. And in those days you didn't go into the black neighbour hoods at night time. But thats alright nobody was going mess with my step daddy :D he was one bad mofo. But I will tell story later about the blues what ever it was and in different post.

coldethyl    0

I try to practise between 1 and 2 hours but it often varies from day to day.

Sometimes I don't get the opportunity to practise until quite late at night and by then I'm usually tired but I force myself to at least do an hour before going to bed.

That way I feel I've done the right thing and I can more easily get to sleep. But if I go a day without practising, I feel guilty that I didn't do anything with the guitar and it plays on my mind.

I guess it all stems from when my dad was alive, he drummed into me to "practise, practise, practise." He used to say to me "you won't get anywhere if you don't practise"

PickNGrin    0

Not like I used too, I dont play every day. I have a nice 4 hour jam with the boys once a month, and probably only play an hour or so total each week in-between.

Bigred1951    0
I try to practice about an hour a day. I am absolutely amazed that some of you can practice for hours. With a day job, kids and house chores I am happy with 1 hour of practice a day. How do the rest of you do it?

Geez...I'm lucky to get in a half hour a day right now! But that's okay. My time will come!

Pete81t    0

I'm fortunate to have a guitar class offered at my high school. So besides the usual hour or two I practice, I get an additional hour and a half at school. As they say, every minute counts.:thumbup1:

micklen    0

As I don't work I can practice as much as I like

BUT I have to limit myself or I think I could easily damage something as my fingers are still soft and my wrist and shoulders don't like being in the positions I put them in for long

micklen    0

Sorry about this but I find

If I had to practice, I wouldn't do it!
a very arrogant response

Without practice there is no improvement

Every professional or amateur practices whatever their level in their sport, art, musical instrument, whatever

No-one is above the need to practice

Rockerbob    47

Actually, this is a quote from Andre Segovia when asked how much he practiced. The interviewer didn't think him arrogant, but instead understood that playing is not practice to him, or to me. I play a lot, but when it becomes "practice" I back off. I want it to stay as fun in the future as it has for the past 30 or so years. That's not to say don't learn new tunes, or to not try to refine your playing, but to keep it fun. There are many tunes I play that I had to play many, many times before I could get through them. You might see that as practice. I see it as playing and learning. The difference? State of mind.