Hey ... there's people here :clap:

1. Derek Trucks

2. Ry Cooder

3. Duane Allman

4. Warren Haynes

5. Eric Clapton

6. Doyle Bramhall II

Oh ... just noticed ... post started in 2005 :dunno:

Best or not, i dont know but these are some of my favorites. No real order, I guess they'd all move up or down the list depending on the criteria

derek trucks

Bob Brozman

Dave Tronzo

Ry Cooder

ben Harper

Corey Harris

First of all I have to omit the orginal slide guys because different time and technology. They didn't have the benefit of all the knowledge and technology that todays sliders do. But for me these five are the ones I love. Maybe not the best technically but who I enjoy listening to.

1. Sonny Landreth...(check youtube video with Hiatt *circle back*..amazing)

2. Duane Allman...(Layla need I say more)

3. Bonnie Raitt...(saw her in 1977 at the Continental Club Austin TX.)

4. Ry Cooder...(master of the pause)

5. Rod Price...(listen to some old Foghat and you'll see)

Van Wilks,

Man I.m from Austin and I jammed with that guy about 7 years ago playing harmonica and you wouldn't believe how far down he has gone. Slightly deranged about his sound..we must have spent half our time waiting on him to tweak between songs. I remember in 1975

when he played with a band called Fools in Austin and he was the king of the town. Great band and he was so different than last time I saw him.

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. It's nice to finally find somewhere to talk slide. So here's my to 5.

Duane Allman

Jerry Douglas

Derek Trucks

Warren Haynes

Ry Cooder

Bob Bronzman

I threw an extra in there just incase Jerry didn't cout since he plays lap style.

Johnny Winter

Kim Simmons

Bonnie Ryaitt

Sonny Landreth

Ry Cooder

I've seen them all live, and it's hard to say who's best, they all rock!

my top 5 would be:

Derek Trucks

Duane Allman

Ry Cooder

Elmore James

Sonny Landreth

Thats in preffered listening order, not neccesseraly in technical ability order.

For any1 interested, the April 08 edition of Guitar & Bass Magazine have a "top 10 greatest slide players ever" section

Well, I've been playing slide for almost three days now, so I feel that I can legitimately chime in:

Lowell George

Paul Barrere

Bonnie Raitt

Sonny Landreth

Kirk, (seriously, not just trying to score brownie points)

Ian

my top 5 would be:

For any1 interested, the April 08 edition of Guitar & Bass Magazine have a "top 10 greatest slide players ever" section

Do you have the list ???

Kirk, (seriously, not just trying to score brownie points)

Neither was I...

Oh ..here is a little riddle solved for those who swear up and down Duane Allman only used the claw..

WRONG !!

Duane Allman- check

Les Paul - check

pick - check

da861new1450.jpg

The problem with the internet is that it's easy to misinterpret others. csason, in no way was I implying that other posters had named Kirk to score points, and I apologise if you felt that way. I hadn't in fact read your post.

Ian

The problem with the internet is that it's easy to misinterpret others. csason, in no way was I implying that other posters had named Kirk to score points, and I apologise if you felt that way. I hadn't in fact read your post.

Ian

Wow..

I guess you are totally right about the first statement, in that I myself

named Kirk, and for the same reasons you did...not to 'score points' but because I actually believe it...

In fact,

Any of those who may have named Kirk..or me..;) as one of the five best slide players of infinite, unchangeable time..;) I am sure had

ample reason to do so...he is very good..

You know..I was thinking of the contributions I believe some of my favorites have made..

The old timers were awesome..

Of them, I think Robert Johnson and Son House stand out..

RJ, especially because he was such a profound natural writer and composer (albeit simple 'black man's' blues) that the legend of the

'devil's deal' is still considered a possibility by many. His technique, while extensive and complex, was somewhat 'noisy' by today's

standards- Son House just seemed to come along a few years later

and remind everyone of the strength of RJ's legacy.

Another huge contribution I think of is Ry Cooder's.

He added a strange twist to the 'aura' of the 'slide sound'...Oftentimes, Ry might olay a minimal role in his compositions,

lending instead to his backup and bandmembers for the song in question's main content- and using his slide abilities in quite tasteful

'cameo' type appearances. Ry Cooder is a master in the studio.

When he does solo slide work, he is at his most artful mastery, in my opinion- because it seems he uses his guitar to paint the entire picture, musically, that he wants us to hear... I love Vigilante Man, it is a perfect example of what I mean...

Ry, in my opinion, added 'the extremely well placed, tasty lick' to

the Slide's history. (not including the Weisenborn-Indian crowd..I have no idea about that stuff...)

The last two are Duane and Kirk..

Duane Allman was, in my opinion...mesmerized by how to get a slide to sound good on those Les Paul's he loved so much..

Jesse Ed, gave him a piece of the puzzle he had been looking for, and

he gave us a full blown-high volume-CLEAN- (emphasize clean) slide

lead.... Using an open tuning on his most popular songs, he left no

'dead' space between notes- and when he used multiple string cresendos (as is typical of open tuning players) it was strictly for

emphasis or as an ending.

He was NOT able to perfect this for all of his songs, and many of his

were just assembled riffs, as during his Muscle Shoals days.

Then along comes (so far) Kirk, who has perfected a standard tuning

or if you prefer dropped D (as he does) technique WAY suitable for

studio-

Now I am not suggesting he is the only one who plays that way..

Or that he is the end all..

He is the only one I know who knows enough about it, to be teaching it..and I have heard his stuff on commecials and watched some very talented players start to incorporate and mimic his technique.

One of the toughest songs I have ever heard or seen is

Begin the Beguine by Kirk L'Orange. It is awesome, and incredibly

done..and he deserves a damn grammy for it.

Oh yes.. A word about Derek..

Derek has amazing strength and dexterity..and he has worked so hard to master the slide using his tuning and such that I guess he has done well to 'spark' an interest in slide playing that deserves merit...However, the problem I have with Derek's playing is that for

all of his awareness of scales and so on, again..in his tuning...

He is awfully..awfully noisy with those incessant placement drags (the sound of the slide) in between him hitting those notes..

It has it's own distinct 'coolness' but as a self-proclaimed expert, I find it lacking...

Of course, to each his own...

I base most of my observations and opinion on the Search for the Sound that can be made with the slide..the sound almost of a voice- those long sustain tones..

I think that 'sound' is what separates the slide as a tool, from fretting the board.

Regardless, my friend in music....

I meant nothing in a directional way towards any of your comments..

I was agreeing with you !:winkthumb:

1-Duane Allman

2-Muddy Waters

3-Elmore James

4-Fred McDowell

5-Lowell George

Other faves, in no particular order: Derek Trucks, Robert Johnson, Son House, Ry Cooder, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Johnny Winter, George Harrison, Warren Haynes, Hound Dog Taylor, Jeff Healey, David Lindley, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Ron Wood, Sonny Landreth etc.

csason,

Regarding your observation of Duane Allman:

"He was NOT able to perfect this for all of his songs, and many of his

were just assembled riffs, as during his Muscle Shoals days."

Skydog died at age 24. He played slide guitar for less than three years. No guitarist since Robert Johnson has made a more significant contribution to slide playing in such a short time. The notion that he was "mesmerized by how to get a slide to sound good" and "not able to perfect" his phrasing is truly laughable.

WOW!!! This is as tough an assignment as ive seen in a while picking favorite slide players...ill just try 5 for now...`

Warren Hayes

Duane Allman

Ry Cooder

Leroy Parnell

Kirk Lorange...

There are many others that i absolutley love to listen to and TRY to learn from... But if I had to pick FIFTY of my favorite sliders, i would have to name all the pickers who are trying and struggling to learn a new lick here and there and are'nt famous, YET...So, that being said, hats off to all my fellow sliders who are as of yet still unknown like myself... Enjoy and good luck getting discovered!!!

Ry Cooder, much much more than a studio muisican, the very best and he has been doing it a very very long time. A true innovator with his slide work.

The rest

Lowell George

Duane Allman

Sonny Landreth

Son House