manwithaplan

Top 5 Slide players, then top 50

Ok, I have not been here in a bit but the list is almost done, look for it soon

EDIT: Im gonna need more posts for the rest of the list, right now it is just a bunch of ties for first and second.

-Tom

This is my first post here so I'd like to say hi to everyone.

My favourite top 5 would be:

Ry Cooder

Kirk Lorange

Roy Rogers

Johnny Winter

Blind Willie Johnson.

Its hard to keep it at only 5, but these guy's are all monster players.

P.S. great site.

• Like 1

Wow, there are at least several on this list that I haven't heard of. Since I like the ones that are listed which I have heard, I know I will need to check these other guys out. (though I'm surprised that it took so long to get Johnny Winter on that list)

I'll just add some names which I haven't seen here yet. Not my very top guys neccessarily (who may already have been listed in this thread) but should be known by sliders:

Larry "Rhino" Reinhardt

Hard blues rock -- Captian Beyond and Iron Butterfly, Metamorphosis album. He was in Dickey Betts pre Allman Bros. Band group which I think was called The Second Coming. You can hear that southern style, but very hard.

Sister Rosettta Tharp

Bill Harkleroad aka Zoot Horn Rollo

Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band classic line up from Trout Mask Replica and Clearspot. Delta/Chicago blues via Stravinsky and Ornette Coleman.

Jeremy Spencer

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. A great mimic of many classic blues players; especially Elmore James.

Quicksilver Messanger Service (was it John Clipollina or the other guy?) I've always thought these guys (and other 60s SF guys) might have been the link between Elmore James playing and the almost unprecedented slide of long extended jams of the Allmans.

Reverand Gary Davis

(I hope that's the guy I'm thinking of)

Barbecue Bob

(again, I hope that's the guy I'm thinking of)

Leslie West

Mountain. He rarely plays slide but his version of Crossroader from the live album "The Road Goes Ever On" is pretty nasty.

Michael Bloomfield

Such a great player overall, I think his slide work is often overlooked.

Mick Taylor

I really love his slide with The Stones, like "All Down the Line" and "Love in Vain" but he is great on the Mayall 70th Birthday Concert DVD

I'll think of a few more later.

Here's another guy to add -- Eric Sardinas. If you haven't heard of him, he plays a resonator throught a high gain Rivera amp. Worth checking out.

To finish my list, Sonny Landreth, Derek Trucks, Duane Allman, and Ry Cooder.

Later

as for me it is pink floyd.

it doesn't consern technics - there slide playing is not a solo one but a special effect (Barrest's playing in early records and a preaty solo in high hopes - i guess Waters' work)

as for the others - muddy waters, eric clapton, allman brothers,robert johnson

good tunes

1.Eric Sardinas - Cherry Bomb

2.Robert Johnson - If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day

3.Sam Mitchell - Travelling Riverside

4.Mississippi Fred McDowell - My Trouble Blues

5.Son House - Preachin' The Blues

6.Peter Green - Preachin'

7.The White Stripes - Catch Hell Blues

8.Eric Sardinas - Wicked Ways :leadguitar:

this is the kind of slide bules i like more rock'n delta

You Canadian folks shouldn't leave out Doug Cox, he's a great preformer and teacher......runs workshops all over North America..I hear he even has a tv music show in Can., He has a book out called "Slide Guitar and open Tunings"...taught me a lot!

He leans more toward folk instead of blues but can play it all........other than that I agree with everyones choices so far, but I would have thought that SKYNARD would have gotten more votes.....

CEEDODIE

Someone mentioned 'George' Rossington..it's actually Gary Rossington, and I think he does belong in the top fifty list.

Also a couple more who really impacted the art..:brickwall::claping:

R.L. Burnside

Alan 'Blind Owl' Wilson-Canned Heat (also Alan Wilson helped bring back Son House and helped Albert Collins get a recording deal):guitardude:

My favourite slide players are (and in no particular order)

David Lindley, Kirk, Dave Hole. There's probably others.

I don't know if anyone has heard kirk play live with chasin' the train (or their demo ), but their version of Layla is the best version I have heard anywhere outside of the original.

Cheers

Cameron

I'll post my favourites

1- Derek Trucks (his playing with Clapton on the recent tour was awe inspiring)

2- Eric Clapton (one of my favourites guitarists of all time)

3- Dan Rumour (from the Cruel Sea) I love the sound.

4- Kirk Lorange (I remember when 'We've come a long way' was released as a single- I also remember the video)

5- Chris Whitley (if you haven't heard him play- you need to)

6- Joe Walsh (saw him play live at the Village Green in Melbourne with the Party Boys a long time ago, I will never forget the great vibe)

7- Ry Cooder (although he dissapoints some times with poor songs and too much other noise around his playing)

8- Jeff Beck

9- George Harrison

10- Johnny Winter ( I don't know why I forgot about him when I was thinking of number 7)

11- Matt Corcoran and George Thorogood for redneck rock/blues

I've probably forgotten many others, but these come to mind straight away as my favourite slide players.

I wish I could play slide!!

I'll post my favourites

1- Derek Trucks (his playing with Clapton on the recent tour was awe inspiring)

2- Eric Clapton (one of my favourites guitarists of all time)

3- Dan Rumour (from the Cruel Sea) I love the sound.

4- Kirk Lorange (I remember when 'We've come a long way' was released as a single- I also remember the video)

5- Chris Whitley (if you haven't heard him play- you need to)

6- Joe Walsh (saw him play live at the Village Green in Melbourne with the Party Boys a long time ago, I will never forget the great vibe)

7- Ry Cooder (although he dissapoints some times with poor songs and too much other noise around his playing)

8- Jeff Beck

9- George Harrison

10- Johnny Winter ( I don't know why I forgot about him when I was thinking of number 7)

11- Matt Corcoran and George Thorogood for redneck rock/blues

I've probably forgotten many others, but these come to mind straight away as my favourite slide players.

I wish I could play slide!!

I'll check out Chris Whitley if you check out who played the slide on Layla..Duane Allman.

Another addition for top fifty

Gene Hardage 'Sarasota Slim'

opened for Winter in the 70's Florida circuit.

I consider 'control' and lack of 'string noise' to be paramount

to top notch slide playing. That being said, I am not a producer/agent..etc. but if I had one of those posh Long Island

studios..I'd be getting ready to count the cash, because i'd have Kirk

working out numbers with the leftovers from STP and Cornell.

I have been fooling with slide for over thirty years..(it pains me to say that..lol) and Kirk is WAAAY better than Derek. Duane Allman

would have been in awe of your ability Kirk.. and I am too old to blow smoke for no reason.

Thanks Csason,

I didn't include Duane but I should have put him in there. I have plenty of Allman Brothers music and of course all of Derek & the Dominos stuff. He's one I missed. OOPS.

I still prefer Derek Trucks.

There is one more great thing about Kirk Lorange, .... he teaches what he knows. That's priceless!!!

Wow, I didn't know this thread was still going! In my post a few mo.'s ago I forgot to add Joe Walsh to my list...........can't believe I left him out! I saw him proform at a small auditorium in Melborne ( Florida) a few years back..he lives about 40 miles from there,..he drove over with a couple other guys and put on an awesome show,..dressed in his old dirty Levis and tee shirt and a John Deere tractor cap. I think that show is what got me interested in playing slide. Ceedodie