manwithaplan

Top 5 Slide players, then top 50

Since this is a new forum, I bieleve that we should all post our top 5 favorite slide players, then we should count the most popular votes and make a top 50 list :D

1. Duane Allman

2. Derek Trucks

3. Robert Randolph

4. Elmore James

5. Robert Johnson

allthumbs    8

Gotta include mississipi fred Mcdowel. He is the only player I have ever heared of that actualy played with a hambone slide as a kid. He had the voice, the licks and the creds. He was the real deal.

Nice to see you here Manwithaplan.This is the first activity I have seen here in a while. I have passed this link around but,no one I know has ever shown up. Lets hope for a better year.

allthumbs

OaklandA    0

Not necessarily in order:

1. Son House

2. Duane Allman

3. Lowell George

4. Robert Johnson

5. Ry Cooder

Kirk is pretty darned good too. I've enjoyed everything I've heard of his...no matter how many times I watch, can't come close.

allthumbs    8

in looking at the list I realize your looking for teck mastery so fred mc,dowel might not fit this particular list. robert johnson,son house, Kirk for sure,ry cooder and bonnie

D.    0

my top 5:

1...muddy waters

2...fred mcdowell

3...corey harris

4...luther dickinson from "the north mississippi allstars"

5...roy rogers

...also in no particular order,,,,so many sliders, with so many styles!!! got to say they're all killer and no filler!!!

OK, I'll play.

If you are going to assemble a list of the top 50 as voted by this Forum, then I wont limit myself to 5, since the most repeated names will end up in the top5 anyway. I cant pick my personal top 5 because I like them all, so in no particular order:

Duane Allman

Kirby Kelly (Bugs henderson and the Shuffle Kings)

Warren Haynes

Derek Trucks

Ry Cooder

David Lindley

Bonnie Raitt

Sonny Landreth

Roy Rogers

Dave Hole

Kirk Lorange

Van Wilks

By the way, Robert Randolph is a pedal steel player- does he belong on this list? Then you could add guys like Speedy West too.

Then there are all the great 1st and 2nd generation players- Robert Johnson, Son House, Tampa Red, Elmore James, Muddy, Howlin Wolf but honestly, I don't really listen to them much- I prefer the third generation electric players

Sometimes posting on this Forum is like talking to yourself.

Suggestion- rather than 'the Best' or 'the Greatest' how about: 50 suggestions for required listening'

More sliders of note

Joanna Connors

George Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd *I think he played the slide parts)

Rick Vito (Huge discography- best known for work with Bob Segar- Like a Rock)

Dave Hole (I cant see if he made the list)

George Thorogood (reluctant late afterthought)

I'll think of more in the middle of the night

allthumbs    8

hi frankenstrat2. Your right, this forum is so quiet it echoes. I have no idea what we can do about it. Putting some bts' here didn't seem to make much of a dent. I am here at least once a day so if you have anything to say you know at least one guy is listening. We seem to have lurkers here and no talkers.

allthumbs

D.    0

yeah i'm kinda a lurker, here once or twice a day too,,,,really digging furry lewis right now, and hop wilson,,,he's pretty cool...i try to look for stuff for solo acoustic performance stuff, that's why i posted fred mcdowell as one of my favorite slide players....but digging furry a lot lately...

laterz

Well at least there are a few of us here.

I just saw Bob Brozman live at the BB King Club NYC on a bill with Sonny Landreth and the Campbell Brothers. Quite a slidefest.

Brozman in a very strong solo artist. Different than anything I've ever seen.

My pal Kirby Kelly from Texas is another guy you certainly want to check out as a solo artist. In the summer months he sometimes gets booked as an opening act at festivals, usually in the Southwest.

As sliders go for the list here- I would add

Danny Gatton since he could do stuff with a Bud bottle that few could do with a bottleneck.

Wally Gator in Houston is another one with that unique ability.

Wow- look at us!

An actual conversation that went into two pages.

Might as well hi-jack the thread just to keep the conversation going.

So what do you you guys play- solo, or in bands, acoustic or electric? Traditional or modern? Instruments?

Anyone else is free to keep posting slide players of note- just killing time here and bumping the thread.

:lol:

D.    0

we don't get that much sliders in northern ontario here,,,was nice to see sonny landreth here,,,of all places here!!! anyways i'll definately check into wally and danny... unfortunately i don't travel but would love to see these guys play...it's always different when you see somebody slidin'...asides from just hearing it, when you see somebody play it, it gives you more appreciation for the ability these guys have to play...

more sliders to consider...frank hutchinson, blind willie mctell, sylvester weaver, tampa red, etc, etc,,,one could just go on and on...

D.    0

i play solo (so-lo you cant' here me)...kidding, acoustic, open stages, played a couple of times on stage solo.., basically anywhere, on the street, it's always fun to do that. i got a pickup installed on my acoustic as the feedback was nasty one time when it was miced (miked)..microphoned...whatever...hehehe....who else plays and what?....

allthumbs    8

I am just a duffer. my nick says it all. I used to play a lot of the delta guys. If I played live , you would have to nail everything down so I wouldn't be killed by flying chairs and bottles. I love the blues in all its forms, I wish i had the skills to do something with it. I am hoping Kirks' book will at least get me to the point where I can play for friends. I picked up a 1921 artist lap steel for 100 bucks. I'm taking it to my tech guy to see if he can slap a usable fretboard on it. Wish me luck. I already have a cheap electric with mutant pickups I use for slide as well as a srv special ed strat and my regular accustic. What are you playing on? So how come you guys have'nt uploaded your jams to those bts here?

allthumbs

You know guys, I really do hate hi-jacking threads, even on a board where we might be the only three semi-regulars other than Kirk.

So here's an idea:

Check my newest thread at the top of the page

Barry

Its important to add:

George Harrison

Joe Walsh

Keith Richards

and honorable mention to

Savoy Brown (was it Kim Simmons?)

and

Blackfoot (what was his name?)

and what about the Nashville guys, dobro players, etc.

Jerry Douglas anyone?