Kirk Lorange

New lesson format

Should I keep the virtual fretboad in the lessons?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I keep the virtual fretboad in the lessons?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't think Kirk was asking for negative criticizim... it seems like the "yes" had more votes though. Sorry for my outrage too....

Kirk was asking for our opinions on the new idea. As he did not specify one way or the other, it is to his credit that was looking for honest feedback, one way or the other. The voting idea shows he wants us all to weigh in on the issue. You cannot get honest opinions on an issue if you begin by rejecting opinions you don't share. You may rest assured that Kirk isn't taking namiguShin's opinion personally. Opinions must be heartfelt to be honest, and that's all any honest person can expect of another honest person...the unadulterated truth. There is no "good" truth and no "bad"; there is only "the truth". It's great to live in America where we can do that, eh?

Member namiguShin was using sarcasm to express a point. There's nothing wrong with the sarcasm used, as it was not directed to Kirk, nor to any specific member. I thought namiguShin used that little bit of sarcasm to great end: He/She was saying that he/she thinks using the new visual is asking too much of Kirk...taking advantage of his apparently limitless generosity by letting him do even MORE for us than he is already doing. This is a great forum Kirk has opened up on the issue, don't you think?

And look how namiguShin has stirrred up even more interest...I applaud them both!!:clap:

Now, let's all go out and buy some new guitars and get really giddy!!:yeahhh:

I love the easier versions of the songs.

I would rather you spend your time on more lessons than the insert.

Either way great job. thanks

The dots are cool, but I get the same thing from the tab. Maybe you can find a way

to shave some time off. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thank you for your comments. Don't let anyone give you any gruff over expressing yourself. We both know that your sarcasm wasn't pointed at Kirk or anyone specific. Some of us need to "get a life" and not take themselves so seriously. I thought you were gallantly trying to get members not to take advantage of Kirk's generousity with a little humor. Well-placed sarcasm is welcomed by those who appreciate what's behind it.:salute:

I like the lessons the way they are. For those of you who like the dots, try actiontab.com (Sorry, the system won't let me make the link a live one.). I like that site a lot, but it's not fingerstyle oriented. Maybe a collaboration is in order as they already offer an editing tool to produce such things?

Well I'm not one to rock the boat Kirk, so I wont. So it seems there is a "six of one, and half a dozen of the other" in people's opinions.

It really does'nt bother me anyway, I have used guitar pro for a couple years, so I am used to this type of format, and I find all your lessons extremely helpful. You have obviously put a lot of effort into this new format as you do with most of your lessons.

So my two penneth is, I like it.

Dear Kirk

I'm fairly new to playing guitar. I'd like to convey my appreciation of your simple yet easy to learn presentations. I also like the addition of the virutal fretboard. Thank you for your efforts. You have greatly inspired my interest in learning more about playing guitar. Pse continue to keep up the good works.

Kirk

I am fairly new to this fingerpicking. I am really pleased to see you're doing some easy ones for us beginners. The Silent Night really gave me a great ego boost when I found I could actually play it and understand what I was doing. One of my problems as a beginner is sometimes not knowing what finger to use, I get help with that with the video. For me I really don't think the dots will help me that much, as everyone says, you can get that from the tab. I am voting no, but please keep these easier lessons coming, they are really helping me. I've learned a lot on this site and really enjoy being a part of it! Thanks again.

...He/She was saying that he/she thinks using the new visual is asking too much of Kirk...taking advantage of his apparently limitless generosity by letting him do even MORE for us than he is already doing...

...and I rest my case! :)

And I like your patriotism... ;)

...and I rest my case! :)

And I like your patriotism... ;)

Let me ask you this, did anyone ask Kirk to start doing this?? Or did Kirk out of the goodness of his heart decide to offer this in additon to his already great lessons? I do not think he would have wasted his time even adding this or asking our opinion if he was not willing to do this, don't ya think?? In either case, the voting will tell no matter what is mentioned.

Let me ask you this, did anyone ask Kirk to start doing this?? Or did Kirk out of the goodness of his heart decide to offer this in additon to his already great lessons? I do not think he would have wasted his time even adding this or asking our opinion if he was not willing to do this, don't ya think?? In either case, the voting will tell no matter what is mentioned.

wtf...??? Get off my back, man... I wasn't criticizing Kirk, damn it... have you read my post or what...? I said he has a good intentions... Too good to be true, actually... All I'm saying is that people are voting "yes" and have no arguments for their "yes"... Making these fretboard dots for the video makes Kirk doing the same job twice, lose a few hours on this redundant job, I personally find it distracting...

Once again, I reason this claim of mine like this: if you want to see WHERE he fretted the string you'll look at the tabs, if you want to hear how does it sound in a tune, you'll hit play in a GP file, if you want to see what fretting hand shape he used, you'll look at the video... And I don't know what more information do you need...? So, people are asking him to lose a few hours, just so they don't have to do their homework and use these file simultaneously... And, again to emphasize, this is all for free...

So I vote "no" so Kirk could have more time to make another lesson, reply to few more posts, or just have some time on his own... I know he is virtual to most of us, but actually he is a human being you know... :)

Nothing negative here iltpff... I'm just saying how I feel about all this... And btw I think the arguments should say how would it be, not voting, but that's just me...

All best

I think it's probably best if we keep this thread strictly to topic i.e. vote and state your preference. If we start debating other people's opinions, however, it will probably put some off from voting.

Hi Kirk,

I think the way you are formatting the program in its present form is just great,I would like it to stay the way you have it,but I can see were you change would and could be help full for a lot of orther players,as for myself I have anough to contend with,the way it is,I know you will come to the right decision.

best regards Eric.

Hey,

I think that if it costs u alot of time, its not really needed. bcuz the video quality is good, I can't really say I need it, cuz seeing your left hand move is enough for me :yes:

btw good 2007 to all

I think it's probably best if we keep this thread strictly to topic i.e. vote and state your preference. If we start debating other people's opinions, however, it will probably put some off from voting.

Agreed, good point si16; I am sure whatever Kirk decides it will be right.

I will have to say no to the extra time and effort required to incorporate the dots. It seems to add up to too much information at once. The tabs and the video should suffice. You're doing enough as it is! Maybe I'm just old school but for me the K.I.S.S. technique works most of the time. :hammers:

I would agree with "how much does it help, to how much work is it to produce?"...I would agree that all one needs is the video and tab...great stuff though...keep up the great work and compositions

I'm a beginner and its great for us. Those using Guitar Pro? You can play! what are you

doing here??

I'm a fingerstyle beginner and I just LOVE Guitar Pro. You might want to download the free evalutation copy and see what the Guitar Pro enthusiasts are talking about. It actually PLAYS the tune note for note, with a placement mark that continually is moving through the score. I'm very familiar with CSN's "Helplessly Hoping", for example, but the fingerstyle version that Kirk has made is admittedly different from the actual recorded version; it's Kirk's version, and not CS&N's version. When I got Guitar Pro and let it play the song as I watched the score I had been practicing, I finally made the ultimate connection between Kirk's version and my practicing his notes. When you're first learning a fingerstyle version, you sometimes can't even hear the flow well enough to recognize the tune, as you are going so slowly in broken segments of the whole. You might find these Guitar Pro lovers have a point.

I'm a beginner and its great for us. Those using Guitar Pro? You can play! what are you

doing here??

Our wonderful site "Guitar for beginners & beyond", The "beyond" part mean's? those of us whom may be at stages "beyond" beginners, therefor getting to a playing stage more advanced that what they are at. They can also give out valuable tips to other players who need help. I'm supposed to be at the intermediate stage (I would question that myself) and I find this site a godsend. The video lessons are designed for players at different levels. In general guitar players are only too pleased to help one another, which as you get more comfortable with playing you will find out. Which is what I believe Kirk and Clancy have intended. I love this site and I love the video lessons. I have also made a lot of friends here, after all this is a guitar community.

So air your opinions, nobody minds that! and enjoy this wonderful site.:yinyang::helpsmili:thumbup1::grouphug:

Hi

i have voted a YES,but after reading most of the comments i have realized that it should have been a NO,please excuse me for that.

coz, as it has already been mentioned by most of dear frnds here that if its too much of effort for you to get those dots on the video then i would suggest please dont bother

and on the other hand it would be great if you would bestow some more easy lessons on beginners like me.(i hope the pros wont mind :D ) so that we could steadly become proficient and our dexterity increases.

Well i sure do agree.

a very thoughtful suggestion as well.

at the end of the day,what ever Kirk is doing is very helpful,many a thanks to him for that i guess its just the matter of time this webset is gonna be on the lips of any guitar player or aspring guitar player

hello kirk ,

thanks for the help. Ive been playing for a very long time but when i stumbled across your site i fond it hard to belivev that i dont have to pay! it really is ite ive ever seen (in learning guitar) now instead of just strumming songs i am looking more deeply in to what im playing and i think my guitaring has improved because of your site so thanks so much. On to the visual aid personally although i agree with most on the time issue i think its very helpful for me and not a waste of time maybe you could give the aid on songs you feel need it (simple ideas are best!) sorry for long message but ive had my say now and thanks again Kirk

Garry