Kirk Lorange

New lesson format

Should I keep the virtual fretboad in the lessons?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should I keep the virtual fretboad in the lessons?

• Yes
    • No

I'm seeking feedback regarding the new visual aid I introduced in this week's lesson, the little guitar fretboard with the moving dots ... worth keeping or not? It adds a couple of hours onto the time required to put these together, so if it isn't helping, I won't bother. Vote above.

It is really great... But I think it's not worth it you spend so much time on it... I use Guitar pro files for this purpose... I think you had really spoiled us ;) If the choice is would you spend time on that fingerboard, or making another video lesson, I would vote for lesson...

Maybe if there's a good programmer here in the community, to make a prog which would extract those diagrams from the midi or something... Now that would make sense...

Kirk,

Apparently I am being outnumbered in the voting polls, but without a visual aid for the chord posted, i.e. like used with a fretboard stamp, the current wonderful system is tops for me. I don't want anyone to "burn out", adding new tweaks that require dozens of more hours to accomplish. Your lessons are so "over the top" now that I'm nervous about your changing anything. I'd much prefer the "Yes" voters to send you a donation of $50 apiece than vote in a change like this. We've got the .wmv (Who else does that?), the .gp4 (that's beautiful wizardary in its own right), the .mp3 (something for everybody), and the full- and half-speed .mid files. Rather than do the new visual aid, if you feel compelled to add something, I suggest you just add a .cda or .wav file to each offering so we can more easily use the practice files on compact disk as well as the .mp3 for the i-pod pickers. This would only take about a minute extra per tune with an easy .mp3 converter program instead of a couple of dozen hours per tune. :dunno:

too happy already,

reedrainey

I find this to be a duplicate of what is already there, ur videos show it much better, with the video i can see how ur changing ur fretting hand, i would rather see an extra lesson every couple mounths than this. just my 2cents worth

Chuck

The dots can be a help since it is possible to hit the hold button to check things out in frozen time. But I also agree with those who say it seems like a lot of work for you and since the tab is always there, dots just may not be worth it

Hi Kirk, I'm sort of 6 of 1 and half a dozen of another, meaning that I'm kind of happy with it either way, but that's probably not really the answer you're after really are you.

I kind of agree with some of the other comments, in that if it means more unnecessary work for you and less of the lessons, then I'd rather the format remain the way it was if that's okay.

I'd chime in with the rest of the chorus here, the dots are slightly helpful, but if it's that much bother I don't think they're worth it. So a resounding "No" vote from me then.

Kirk, that addition of the "real time tracking of all the note positions" is outstanding to say the least! Please keep it up. This is such a great enhancement to your already great lessons. I think it is easier to see what's going on with this than to try and figure out where your hand is pressing and then to look at the tab to asure myself. This s a more definate representation. A+ in my book.

I actually found it distracting and unnecessary.

That's the word... Distracting... ;) I must emphasize, PEOPLE, USE GUITAR PRO FILE... It's all already there, and you can HEAR and SEE what's going on exactly as it is on the video... "Maybe if Kirk could come to my house next week to show me how he played it in a lesson...?" :) "For free, of course..." :D That's the next question I expect to see here :)

Sorry for this outburst of rage... :)

Kirk, thanks for the extra effort to give us a quality lesson.

I am fairly new to all this, but add my few cents anyway.

I spend most of my video viewing time watching your hands, often times pausing the display to study both your hands' positioning. You have already provided the tab which is all that I need for notes on the fretboard.

Having yet another inset display only serves to distract me.

If you decide to keep this new display in your lessons, perhaps you can find a technical solution to allow us the option of not displaying it.

Thanks Kirk.

Happy Holidays

Joe

Maybe some programing genius can write a program that syncs with GuitarPro that automatically displays the dots on the fretboard so that there's no extra work involved.

Do we have any members with that talent?

I love your site and your lessons are superb! Easy to follow, but for some reason, those dots are confusing me and I have to look at the tab anyways to figure out the lesson. If it takes a lot of your time to create that section, then, I wouldn't do it. It'll give you more time to give us another song! Thanks so much for what you do for us.

the visual aid will not appeal to everyone and there are different methods/styles of learning that appeal to individuals.i like it because it gives me an extra reference point should i need it. thumbs up for me! merry xmas to all.

brianh

Thanks Kirk, another great lesson! It is a little harder than silent night but not much. The dots dont help much, I dont think they are worth 2 hours of your time. I bought myself an Ibanez electric acoustic for Christmas after some lowering of the bridge and such Auld lang is sounding pretty good. Again thanks Elglide:smilinguitar:

Instead of saying "it seems like too much work" I'd like to ask how much work iis it really?

If it isn't too much bother (just an few extra minutes a lesson) then I say yeah, go with it. Just give us the option to turn it off, and everyones happy. If it takes more than an hour per lesson, I say definetely not. Quite plainly, your lessons teach the songs incredibly well already, and I doubt many people will use this new feature. Its nice, but unnecessary.

In the end, it doesn't matter too much, your lessons will be great either way.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings,

I really don't see where the fingerboard gives you any more info than the tab does. Save the time and energy for more of these fine lessons.

Brian McMahon

Hi Kirk

Firstly, the Auld Lang Syne lesson is fantastic, I sat down at the computer last night specificly to find ALS tabs, came here first to check in and there it was. Fantastic :D

Re the fretboard dots, Like everyone else has said, it is all there in the Guitar Pro file. I use the video to study your hand movements and the dots are more of a distraction than a help.

Strangely, the vote seems to be opposite to most of the comments :confused:

Thanks for all of your efforts and assistance

Cheers

Peter

I found the dots helpful, and not at all distracting. I find having all the 'views' on one screen very useful....... and I'll take all the help I can get...lol.

BUT, (the inevitable but), given a choice beteen your time spent on more lessons and the dots, I would have to go with more lessons.

Whichever way you go, keep up the good work!.

Merry Xmas.

That's the word... Distracting... ;) I must emphasize, PEOPLE, USE GUITAR PRO FILE... It's all already there, and you can HEAR and SEE what's going on exactly as it is on the video... "Maybe if Kirk could come to my house next week to show me how he played it in a lesson...?" :) "For free, of course..." :D That's the next question I expect to see here :)

Sorry for this outburst of rage... :)

I didn't think Kirk was asking for negative criticizim... it seems like the "yes" had more votes though. Sorry for my outrage too....

It's ok but I agree with a few others, I can get as much or more from watching the left hand and looking at the tab. Just my opinion.

THanks!