jjbcz

Rather than "BEST" guitarist maybe FAV instead

With a great deal of thought and indecisiveness, I'd have to say Eric Clapton.

I just love hearing him play, and out of all the guitarists that I like (and that's quite a lot) Eric is the one that stands out for me.

With a great deal of thought and indecisiveness, I'd have to say Eric Clapton.

I just love hearing him play, and out of all the guitarists that I like (and that's quite a lot) Eric is the one that stands out for me.

Got to go with you on that on Neil, I thought long and hard on that one, and EC comes out on top. Along with Dave Gilmore (king on bends) and Peter Green running a close second.

Hmmmm Difficult as I go through phases, for instance last week it was without a doubt Jimmi Hendrix but this week it is Rory Gallagher. The only other to come close was Clapton but I do not think of him as a legend anymore.

I also highly admire John Entwhistle, I know he is bass bass but he was the life of the who for many years until Mr Townsend learnt the guitar better.

If I were forced to pick just ONE, I'd have to go with Eddie Van Halen.....but that wouldn't do justice to my many other favorites who run a close second (or sometimes a faraway first, depending on my mood):

Brian May

Larry Carlton

Billy Gibbons

SRV

Jimmy Page

Pat Travers / Pat Thrall

Alex Lifeson

Carlos Santana

Tom Scholz

Peter Frampton

Ace Frehley

Brad Paisley

Elliott Easton

Steve Vai

Glenn Tipton / K.K. Downing

My favs. are:

The Reverend Gary Davis

Mississippi Fred Mcdowell

Hubert Sumlin

And theres probally some others that I'm going to have to slap my self in the face for not remembering them.:isaynothing:

yo peeps. god, what a hard question... i suppose my top three would be:

jimmy page

eric clapton

eddie van halen.

but it all deppends on what sorta mood im in. some times i love tony iomi's power chords, and others i like knopflers melodic licks.

I've already put down that I like Eric Clapton, but I'm getting more and more into Eric Johnson too. That guy is such a versatile guitarist and he's so good at all styles.

Plus he's a very humble sort of guy which is a bonus!

Clapton is a great guitarist, ironically he gets credit for the signature lick in "Layla", that lick was actually created and recorded on the album by Duanne Allman, but EC is still excellent. My favs are;

Jimi Hendrix

Lindsey Buckingham

Robin Trower

all of the Skynyrd pickers, but though he only gave us a few songs before his death Steve Gaines is probably my all time fav, his work on Street Survivors brought a new flavor to an all ready killer band, sad that we could not have heard more from him and his unique style of playing.

I left one of my favs out, Scotty Garland deserves a very honorable mention, possibly one of the founding fathers of rock guitar, if you think you've never heard of him your wrong....Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel, That's Alright Mama...........the list goes on.

Like most everybody I'm finding it hard to narrow it down to just one. If I ABSOLUTELY HAD TO, I would go with Neil Young. Other favs include Walter Becker, Brian Setzer, Ritchie Balckmore, Patrick Simmons, Tom Johnston, Joe Walsh, Don Felder.

Don Felder.

Can't really understand why The Eagles got rid of him?

He's such a great guitarist, and they ended up replacing him anyway instead of just having Joe Walsh.