KGrob

Help on Guitar-Pro 5

KGrob    0

I just downloaded the trial version of Guitar Pro 5 (15 day free trial).

My thought was that I would use the software to primarily create from scratch some background tracks for some guitar music, primarily drum-type stuff.

Okay......

I got the software downloaded and stuff and I downloaded the manual...the software seems to work fine. But I'm struggling greatly reading through the instructions.

Does anyone know of a forum post or a website that walks noobs through this one step at a time showing all the required entry and how to get it on the score. What do I need? What don't I need?

I'll probably eventually figure it out...but...I'm old and slow and I only have 14 days left to try all this stuff out before I need to decide if this is what I need. Right now, it seems like I might need more than that just to get my drums rolling.

Anyway...

Anyone know of anything like that. Thanks.

Matty22    0

Have a shot at tabbing out something you know first, to get the feel for things.

Feel free to ask here, ill try and help where i can, and im sure theres people smarter than me here too..

To simply get some drums going.....

Go to Track Menu. Add a Track, Then percussion.

It should bring up a new track in the main window, and a box that looks like the attachment...

Use any of those numbers as the TAB numbers to create the beat.

GP automatically breaks things up into beats set by the tempo (shown in the second attachment), and you can vary the note duration (also in second attachment).

I probably did a crappy job explaining that..

3471.attach

3472.attach

KGrob    0

Well, after five challenging attempts, I've created some original drum music. Sounds just like the movers throwing around my furniture last time I moved...well...I guess there is some sort of organized "drum" sound in there somewhere.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. I'm such a noob on this stuff that I don't even know where to start. I really don't know that much about the guitar. I know nothing about drums or about writing music...so you can see my reference. Every step I take, the more I realize how little I know about all this.

But...it's really fun to create music. Guitar Pro is a fun program...once you get past the frustration.

Thanks for your help.

KGrob    0
.........I probably did a crappy job explaining that..

.....Not at all. You've been a wonderful help to me. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me.

K

WernHalen    0

KGrob,

Why dont you try and find a couple of existing GP tabs and learn how to do it from there?

Kirk tabs his lessons on GP so you can get an idea from there...

KGrob    0
KGrob,

Why dont you try and find a couple of existing GP tabs and learn how to do it from there?

Kirk tabs his lessons on GP so you can get an idea from there...

Thanks for the suggestion.

And yes, I actually had to do that. I downloaded about a dozen old songs I'm familiar with to see what they do on the tabs...especially the backing tracks.

So far, I've been able to construct a fairly workable (basic but kool) percussion track that actually works very well. I have a long time to work on this before I need to have it done so I'm sure it will get only better.

However, the other musical tracks (instruments) are somewhat complex...to me they are much harder than the percussion/drum stuff. It's going to take a lot of getting used to before I can do anything with any sort of speed at all. Mostly, it's all trial and error...one key at a time...different notes...different everything. It's going to be a long road.

But it's fun. I'm actually having a pretty good time although it's frustrating at times.

Regardless, thanks for your suggestions. You guys have been a terrific help.

KGrob    0
Good stuff.. Kgrob. When do we get to hear a sample?:winkthumb:

When I say "workable" you need to understand that I mean that only in the most very basic sense of the word. ;)

If you think Caveman + Stick + Rock...well...that's about where I'm at. But, for now, that is pretty darn cool compared to where I began.

Anyway. It's lots of fun although my wife thinks I've finally snapped. :yes:

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions before I'm through.

Thanks.

K